997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Advice on lowering car and damper\spring selection needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:14 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Advice on lowering car and damper\spring selection needed

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and my new 997CS2 is on the way (trading from '07 RS4). I already know want to lower the car 15-25mm just to improve its appearance (I hate that ugly fender gap).

I've read that you can run into issues w/ PASM if the wrong spring rates are selected and it seems to have scared some folks off from lowering their cars. There are packages such as the Bilstein PSS9 which are supposedly PASM compatible and offer good adjustability, etc.

I assume that w/ the PSS9 setup I'll loose the abilty to change from comfort to sport settings from the cockpit using the Sport button. Correct? I'd like to retain this ability so, if true, the PSS9 is not an option for me.

Any suggestions? Again, main goal for me is to simply lower the car some. It's a bit premature for me to conclude that the OEM dampers are not sufficiently good.

Thanks,

-Roland.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 AM
MrBonus is infamous around these parts
Bilstein makes a PSS coilover kit where you can change the ride height but there is no external valving adjustment that is compatible with PASM. I have it and personally love it.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:28 AM
CondorCGT is infamous around these parts
Hi Roland I would suggest KW shocks and springs I have them on some of my cars and at the same time I have raced them on the Nurburgring they are great alot of teams have them there. This is there link http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/index.php

Good Luck and if you need anymore info I am here

Old 10-28-2007, 02:18 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
Bilstein makes a PSS coilover kit where you can change the ride height but there is no external valving adjustment that is compatible with PASM. I have it and personally love it.
Can you maintain the normal C2S height with the PSS?

Old 10-28-2007, 02:41 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rja
I assume that w/ the PSS9 setup I'll loose the abilty to change from comfort to sport settings from the cockpit using the Sport button. Correct? I'd like to retain this ability so, if true, the PSS9 is not an option for me.
Roland,
the new PSS kit is designed to work with the factory PASM suspension. u still be able to use the factory settings after installing the system.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by dndodd
Can you maintain the normal C2S height with the PSS?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I originally had H&R springs and they were way too low and used the PSSs to raise up the height to about a half inch below stock. It looks good and doesn't scrape unless you hit a serious incline.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
A stock ride height 997S grounds frequently on generally unavoidable curbs, driveways and roadway transitions. Plastic parts under the nose(brake cooling ducts?) hit all the time and the bottom of the air dam takes an occasional strike. Expect moderate to severe additional ground clearance problems, depending on the degree of lowering.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MichaelL
A stock ride height 997S grounds frequently on generally unavoidable curbs, driveways and roadway transitions. Plastic parts under the nose(brake cooling ducts?) hit all the time and the bottom of the air dam takes an occasional strike. Expect moderate to severe additional ground clearance problems, depending on the degree of lowering.
I know I have those problems now. That is why I was hoping the PSS allowed you to retain the stock ride height.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dndodd
I know I have those problems now. That is why I was hoping the PSS allowed you to retain the stock ride height.
you could go with techart (15mm lower )

Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
I am planning on going with the PSS system that is compatible with the PASM. Now here is a question: the normal PSS9 you can pretty much adj the valving/dampening with the external **** (so basically lots of adjustability), but with the PASM compatible unit you are left with just normal/sport of the PASM button? Is this correct?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
you could go with techart (15mm lower )
But you would still have a fender gap correct?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
I think this is correct. I talked w/ Mike at Evoltion Motorsports and you get limmited adjustability with the PASM compatible PPS9 kit. He mentioned there's a PSS10 kit coming out but no word on exactly when. The PSS10 kit will provide PASM compatibility with adjustability.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by rja
I think this is correct. I talked w/ Mike at Evoltion Motorsports and you get limmited adjustability with the PASM compatible PPS9 kit. He mentioned there's a PSS10 kit coming out but no word on exactly when. The PSS10 kit will provide PASM compatibility with adjustability.
Hmm interesting. It seemed from Mike's post (AWE) the only adjustability on the PSS10 damptronic is the height and not the dampening. Just seems that I would be paying $2500 for coil-overs just for their height adjustability and not the dampening. This is making me thinking about getting the techart or eibach springs. But I bet in the end the car will probably handle quite a bit better with the PSS than stock struts and techart springs. Is it a day and night difference? I had an e46 M3 prior to this and had GC coilovers with camber plates and rear shock mounts; the difference in handling was day and night. Just wondering if the difference is notable in the 997 C2S?...

Old 10-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by M32911S
Hmm interesting. It seemed from Mike's post (AWE) the only adjustability on the PSS10 damptronic is the height and not the dampening. Just seems that I would be paying $2500 for coil-overs just for their height adjustability and not the dampening. This is making me thinking about getting the techart or eibach springs. But I bet in the end the car will probably handle quite a bit better with the PSS than stock struts and techart springs. Is it a day and night difference? I had an e46 M3 prior to this and had GC coilovers with camber plates and rear shock mounts; the difference in handling was day and night. Just wondering if the difference is notable in the 997 C2S?...
I found it noticeable. Turn-in was far crisper with the PSS system than H&R springs. I also found the springs tended to bump steer quite a bit when the road surface was less than optimal. The springs also are extremely rigid, no doubt to compensate for the fact that the stock dampers are working with reduced suspension travel.

The car simply feels better planted and more maneuverable with the coilovers than with springs.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
rja
My understanding from talking to Mike is that w/ PSS10 you can adjust the damping, thereby making them a more attractive option than PSS9 which only allows 2 settings adjustable via the Sport button. If it was only height adjustment w/ the PSS10 then there'd be no advantage over PSS9 unless I'm missing something.

Lowering springs could be an option but I think the things to consider are (1) does the damper have sufficent travel to safely accomodate the lower ride and (2) ensuring the spring rates to not significantly deviate from the OEM rates so you don't overload the dampers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on lowering car and damper\spring selection needed