997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

So I think my engine is toast.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jeff_NJ
If your spirited driving caused the failure of the crank, it was defective from the start. There is no way that what you described should cause a major failure.
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement and, in furtherance of this, I did say that there was nothing I felt you did to cause the problem.

I am just bummed out that my disintegrated clutch theory was not at play!

It sounds like they are taking care of you and that's what counts.

I know of a person whose 430 engine went bad after about 2K miles. As rare as that is for Ferrari, it does happen.

Please keep us posted because it sounds like Porsche has come to the bar for you where Mercedes would not for me.

As a result they are getting back an 03' CL500 with 11K miles under the CA lemon law!

Last edited by Gcalo; 11-19-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
This engine is not dainty or fragile. It is designed, engineered, and manufactured to be run hot and put away wet. The only caution you need to take (other than driving responsibly) is to keep fresh oil in it, and let the engine and oil temp get warm before exceeding 5k rpm.

If you go from a cold start and immediately rev to a constant 7k+ rpm, you're asking for trouble in any car.

Glad to see that Porsche NA is taking care of this- keep us posted.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Cattman
--- The only caution you need to take (other than driving responsibly) is to keep fresh oil in it, and let the engine and oil temp get warm before exceeding 5k rpm.

If you go from a cold start and immediately rev to a constant 7k+ rpm, you're asking for trouble in any car.
Absolutely excellent advice and the rule of thumb with Ferrari's.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:04 PM
TripleInboard is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cattman
This engine is not dainty or fragile. It is designed, engineered, and manufactured to be run hot and put away wet. The only caution you need to take (other than driving responsibly) is to keep fresh oil in it, and let the engine and oil temp get warm before exceeding 5k rpm.

Cattman,

That is a very good point. I am pretty careful when it comes to warmup procedures. I had mentioned in post #26 "I am also very cautious to make sure the oil has fully warmed up before shifting north of 3k. "

No updates from the dealer today. I don't suspect I will hear anything the rest of the week due to Thanksgiving. Have a great holiday!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
I got a call that the new engine arrived today so I went up to the dealer to scope things out. It turns out that the intermediate shaft was the cause of the failure. The tech had seen this happen before.

I have taken some pictures of the old and new engine, and on the old engine picture I put a red circle around the piece that caused the failure. They have already mated the new engine to the transmission, as well as put my old headers on the new motor.

The tech and I noticed a difference between the new and the old engine. The new engine has a different style to the piece on top of the intake manifold. This can be seen in the pictures. The new manifold is smooth at the tops where it says Porsche, and the original piece is textured/bumpy where it says Porsche. Anyone know why there would be a difference? The only thing they transfer from the original engine is the a/c compressor and belt.

Here are the pics:

Attached Images      
Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Here is a picture showing the texture on the intake manifold from the old engine.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2007, 04:33 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TripleInboard
Here is a picture showing the texture on the intake manifold from the old engine.
Pretty sure its just earlier design...........here's replacement engine for a 3.6 996 that went in one of my cars last year.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Tripleinboard, thanks for the update and am glad things are working out for you.

BTW, are you on a powerboat website called Offshore Only? IF so I'm FeverMike.

See ya, Mike
I am on offshoreonly.com periodically but I am not a regular on the forum. Great website! A friend of mine found his boat/dealer through the classifieds section. I just now checked the forum and I thought that I was at least registered there… but it won't let me login and it doesn’t recognize my email address. Was there a server change within the past year or two?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm glad they're replacing it free of charge. It really worries me to see that there are numerous cases of this happening in 05's as my car is an 05 as well. I think i'll drive the snot out of my car for a while to make sure it's ok since most cases usually happen before the 30k mile mark. I would hope that if this were to happen to anyone else, that it was within the warranty period.

Last edited by v35; 11-28-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I just picked the car up after installation of the new engine. My service advisor informed me that they also replaced the front left radiator fan as it was not functioning properly, as well as the driver’s side a/c vent. Before I continue I want to say that I am thoroughly impressed with Park Place Porsche in Dallas. The technician that worked on my car and my service advisor were both top notch and it has been my best service experience from any auto manufacturer/dealer.

Driving impressions from the new engine are limited as I am breaking it in, but something I did notice right away is that the power delivery is much smoother. A year or so ago I had made a post, I believe on rennlist, about how the car surged on the highway whenever the revs neared the 3k rpm mark. It was also noticeable on casual driving whenever the revs passed 3k. I assumed that it was normal and it was just the variocam modifying the valve timing, but on this engine the transition to different timing is seamless.

I would also like to confirm that the new engine and labor were all performed under warranty. Thank you Porsche!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
The headers on your new motor aren't factory OEM. Did you have them put aftermarket headers on?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TripleInboard
I just picked the car up after installation of the new engine. My service advisor informed me that they also replaced the front left radiator fan as it was not functioning properly, as well as the driver’s side a/c vent. Before I continue I want to say that I am thoroughly impressed with Park Place Porsche in Dallas. The technician that worked on my car and my service advisor were both top notch and it has been my best service experience from any auto manufacturer/dealer.

Driving impressions from the new engine are limited as I am breaking it in, but something I did notice right away is that the power delivery is much smoother. A year or so ago I had made a post, I believe on rennlist, about how the car surged on the highway whenever the revs neared the 3k rpm mark. It was also noticeable on casual driving whenever the revs passed 3k. I assumed that it was normal and it was just the variocam modifying the valve timing, but on this engine the transition to different timing is seamless.

I would also like to confirm that the new engine and labor were all performed under warranty. Thank you Porsche!
Both of my 07 997S's never had the variocam type sensation so many have reported feeling...perhaps Porsche made some recent updates to the system.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
They are aftermarket headers that I had on the old motor that they swapped over to the new motor. I took the car out again tonight and have noticed a noise that sounds like the engine or the mufflers are shifting around. Would they have replaced the engine mounts, and if so do these need time to settle in?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
They shouldn't..I'd have the noise checked out.