997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

So I think my engine is toast.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 PM
TripleInboard is infamous around these parts
So I think my engine is toast.....

Tonight while driving about 5 MPH out of a stop I hear this noise that sounds like I am dragging something on the ground. Then all of a sudden the noise got worse and the engine shut off. I tried to turn it back over, and it actually did start, but it sounded horrible....Imagine throwing a bunch of screws in a blender, and that is what it sounded like. I drive my car in a rather spirited manner on a daily basis, but I by no means abuse it. I have never over-revved it, nor have I dropped the clutch.

Car is a 2005 3.6L C2, 6-speed, with 21k miles. I am the second owner. I purchased the car when it had 3800 miles on it. Car has aftermarket headers and modified mufflers. Think I will have any issues with warranty?

Last edited by TripleInboard; 11-15-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 PM
3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts
Dont take a chance,put it back to stock

Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like no oil.??????

Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
In theory there should be no problem over those mods, but as was said, if you can go stock, don't chance it. I'd wonder about a connecting rod. Good luck and keep us up to date. Gerry

Old 11-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
I understand that there have been a few clutch failures. Happened to a friend's brand new 06 Carrera S with 1,500 miles!

Might be your prob and it might have bound the engine.

Have you done any engine mods?

What you have done for exterior mods does not give rise to any legal basis for warranty exclusion regardless what the dealer says.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Raz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to all
Sounds like no oil to me as well. Put the stock parts back on and take it in.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:46 PM
DEL
DEL is infamous around these parts
My 05 C2s (October build) suffered an intermediate shaft failure that blew the engine. The failure occured at 6000 miles and sounded similar to what you were describing. Porsche replaced it with a refurbished engine under warranty. Dealer commented that the shaft was upgraded in 06 and that they had several 05 cars come in with the same problem.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately the car is at the dealer now with the mods on it. :-( I had it towed to the dealer 30 minutes before they closed in hopes of getting some kind of a rental. No such luck though.....

I thought about it being a clutch related issue too. However, the fact that it struggled to start and once it did start it sounded like all hell was going on behind me is what worries me.

I looked under the car and didn't see any oil drops, and I checked the oil level on the dash at the start of this week and it was full.

What I am worried it may be is a valve that broke off....

Old 11-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TripleInboard
Unfortunately the car is at the dealer now with the mods on it. :-( I had it towed to the dealer 30 minutes before they closed in hopes of getting some kind of a rental. No such luck though.....

I thought about it being a clutch related issue too. However, the fact that it struggled to start and once it did start it sounded like all hell was going on behind me is what worries me.

I looked under the car and didn't see any oil drops, and I checked the oil level on the dash at the start of this week and it was full.

What I am worried it may be is a valve that broke off....
Don't drive yourself crazy until you know for sure.

It does sound similar to the clutch problem my friend had experienced.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned
PHC1 is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I hope everything gets resolved with minimal hassle. Keep us posted as to what actually happened. Good luck with the repair.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:26 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear. Hope they fix it under warranty. Why does it seem that P-cars suffer from numerous engine problems/failures? This is my first P-car and I am worried about potential problems and though rare catostrophic failures. I figured the motors would be better built than that given they are hand built and bench tested no?

Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM
No updates to report on. I went up to the dealer at my lunch hour and the car was sitting in the same spot that the tow truck had dropped it off at. They seemed pretty busy so I doubt that it got looked at today.

On a bright note I got a nice new 4 runner as a loaner, and they said that when a porsche becomes available from their loaner fleet they will swap loaners with me. I was talking with one of the techs and he said two of their loaners are in the shop after they were damaged by the clients who loaned them. One was a Cayman with 14k in damage done to it.....

I will let you guys know as soon as the dealer informs me on what the problem is.

Gcalo,

Did your friend's clutch pedal feel any different after that had happened? When I restarted the car and it was making all of that noise I was able to move it forward a foot or so to get it out of the flow of traffic before it died again. The pedal felt the same as it usually does, but I did notice a vibration in the gearshifter.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by TripleInboard
---Gcalo,

Did your friend's clutch pedal feel any different after that had happened? When I restarted the car and it was making all of that noise I was able to move it forward a foot or so to get it out of the flow of traffic before it died again. The pedal felt the same as it usually does, but I did notice a vibration in the gearshifter.
I was not with him at the time but he called me after the major breakdown happened. He said there were unrecognizeable noise for a while before, and the car was not driving right. Then more noises and would not move properly.

Strange thing is that a Porsche mechanic drove a Cayenne to him in Napa and then drove my friend's 911 back to the Walnut Creek dealership! I think that was a foolish move because it did more damage to the car. Dealership did not want to pay for a flatbed tow! So they put it all on Porsche for parts, labor, etc.

They had the car for 5 weeks!

All I know.

Your pressure plate may have broken a finger or a spring. Doubt it's anything you did.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Money shift my guess

Old 11-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
Money shift my guess
If so it would have to have been from the previous owner. He put 3800 miles on it and since then I have put 18k reasonably hard miles on it with no prior problems. I had the car up in Canada this past summer and was routinely averaging 120+MPH on rural highways for hours at a time and it ran great.

I would imagine that any issues relating to a mechanical over-rev from a miss-shift would have appeared long before I put that many miles on the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I think my engine is toast.....