997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$675 For a single new Pirelli....Ouch !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 AM
cszx10r is infamous around these parts
My mistake, yes they are Pilot Sports.

I have the Pilot Powers on the track bike.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cszx10r
---how does your 360 compare to the 911? And have you driven the 430 any comments?

I would like my next car to be the 430 Convertable or the Gallardo Spyder.

Any thoughts there?
I can't yet make the comparison because I do not yet own a 997. Bear in mind that one is more limited in production with 8 cylinders mid-engine as compared to a higher production rear-engined 6 cylinder. I would expect there to be a considerable difference, and, of course, the Porsche is more of a daily driver.

From a positive perspective there is considerable more available in parts to trick the 997 to one's personal preferences.

As to tires, Michelin makes a great assortment, and I have stuck with them for years for good reason. I have Continental Sport Contact 2's on my CL500, and, while not a bad tire, they are getting very noisey and have less than 6K miles on them.

You have many size options but you should run them through this calculator to be sure: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The wrong size can affect gearing as well as ABS, electronic stability systems, and braking.

Last edited by Gcalo; 11-23-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:09 AM
QKENUFF is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cszx10r
Two questions.

Two- how does your 360 compare to the 911? And have you driven the 430 any comments?

I would like my next car to be the 430 Spider or the Gallardo Spyder.

Any thoughts there?
Thoughts on the above...
360 vs 997S ?

Two differnt leagues of visceral feel. The F-car is a bit raw... Racing seats. loud (++) and very connected due to the F-1, and lighter weight, and a bit more power. The P-car is a softer ride, more refined, a quicker turn-in, but not terribly fulfilling. Possibley due to the Tiptronic tranny (wifes car) which is slushy, slow to shift, and lacks any punch.

The 260 Spider is a MUCH better convertable than the 911.
* Better aerodynamics by far in the cockpit. no buffeting, low wind noise and my hat stays on at any speed.
* The 911 has terrible wind management even with the wind deflector installed and windows up. Sad commentary for a car with 50+ years of development. Also has way to much road noise with the top up when compared to the 360.
* Thus far, the F-car has been more reliable. 3 years old, 17,000 mi. 4 track events, and no warrenty work what-so-ever. (Expensive routine maintainence however.)
* The P-car.... 6 Mo old, 4,000 mi, has had a multitude of little electrical faults,and errors, and still needs to go back to the dealer again.

Next stop, an F430 Spider to replace the 360 maybe next summer if all goes right. I test drove a new Gallardo Spider, and the car is amazing on the road, but lacks any usable luggage space, and therefore it is virtually useless for weekend events. Both the F-car and P-car hold a lot of stuff when needed.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:58 PM
cszx10r is infamous around these parts
Qkenuff,

Thanks for the superb feedback. I am was very surprised to hear the F360 had a better all around topless feel than the 911, I never would have imagined that. I tough the raw feel of the 360 would translate to the convertible as well.
I just sold a 01 500SL (softtop) and was more impressed with the top on my 911 vs the M car. I am still like the rag top verse hard tops. Although I have not owned the new 500SL hardtop so its hard to be un biased. But I do notice the tops up all the time.... as my tops are hardly ever up.... only when necessary.

I would imagine the triptronic vs the 6 speed is somewhat subdued, and you lose driver input. I would even go as far to say clutch less paddles are also less engaging (although admittedly perform better) than a manual transmission.

No doubt 430's are beautiful machines, and so are the Gallardo's. Cargo space would not enter the picture for me as I doubt I would ever get to over night anywhere with the car. Strictly Saturday Sunday morning pleasure.

I do like the fact that there are less Gallordo's (especially spyders) on the road than Ferrari's. I realize that works both ways, meaning the F car is in more demand.

Either way they are both Italian and amazing pieces of machinery!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 PM
MrBonus is infamous around these parts
You're the second person to note that the 997 has crisper turn-in than the 360 which I find odd considering the level of focus of the cars and the engine placement.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:16 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
qkenuff, Ilove the color cordination with the Porsche and Ferrari. Awesome garage you have!

Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 PM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
that is ridiculous

Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
that is an amazing ripoff and I would be offended that they would try that...

that should be the price of two with mounting and balancing...