997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

4s Advantages/disadvantages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
ron, you're living in a pipe dream. to say you get your ego stroked because people recognize your car is a stripped out car and is a more proper porsche than a car with sunroof, full leather, cf is absolute absurdity and rather pathetic if you ask me.
I take it you've never been to a DE or Club Race -- if you did, you'd see the PCA guys snickering at things like PCCB, the Sport Chrono Wart, and Navigation. Granted, these are the guys with 930s, 964s, 993s, GT3s, and all sorts of Cup Cars - so no, they aren't the typical consumer today. Whenever I'm at the track, people do come up to me to ask about my car -- initially because of the sweet sound coming from the 3.8 through the AWE headers / cats / mufflers, then because it's debadged and wearing 18" Fikse 13s. Then come the compliments about manual seats, no "fluff", etc. I got what I wanted -- a 997 platform with back seats, naturally aspirated. I didn't want turbo, power seats, navigation, gimmicks, etc.

What's pathetic is people discounting the roots of Porsche and what Dr. Porsche himself said about his car company. Purpose built sports cars and how he must be turning in the grave today given where things have gone. I don't mind that much because I know the general consumer who will never track their Porsche or drive it to the limit on the Autobahn has poured billions into Porsche which allows them to continue to make great cars. But I do wish they would at least offer a non-PCM dash and a sunroof delete for the 997 for those who want less.

As to PCCB -- if you don't like dust, change your pads. If you want lighter weight brakes, change the rotors to 2-piece floating ones.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
ron, you're living in a pipe dream. to say you get your ego stroked because people recognize your car is a stripped out car and is a more proper porsche than a car with sunroof, full leather, cf is absolute absurdity and rather pathetic if you ask me.

if you want a stripped out car, get a lotus or ariel atom and be done with the porky 911 chassis. if you get a 911 which is more a gt car than a raw sports car, go with the niceties. it's a comfortable daily driver car and all the luxuries add to the experience.

i'd get the c4s because it absolutely looks better than the narrowbody. if you're serious about having "fun", save your coins and get the proper gt1 engined gt3.
A little harsh, no?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:46 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
My one regret for my C4S

I wish I got the sport seats.

I thought the stock seats were good until I got used to the car and started pushing it a little.

I now have to really brace myself in preparation for turns during spirited driving with the stock seats, and it takes away from the driving experience for sure....

Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
RonCT and Edgy01,

All good points.

Actual life of PCCB's is appreciated but I really think the steel brakes will do just fine for me.

I do want to evaluate everything.

I am after a cabrio, and color would be something like seal or silver with blue top and tan interior-black dash, etc.

Since I make exceptional carpets for most high end cars I certainly would not order the Porsche carpets, though.

There is some much to decide and I don't want to over do the options.

Many thanks again from all.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
reewrd is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

i'm in so cal and have a 06 guards red 997 s cab, full leather w/ two tone interior w/ black dash & door tops and sand everywhere else. it's a manual tranny with red brakes. 6,9k miles, purchased it new 8.06. only selling because i want a gt3. just thought i'd through it out there if you're interested. if not, good luck with your purchase, you will love it - great car

Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by reewrd
i'm in so cal and have a 06 guards red 997 s cab, full leather w/ two tone interior w/ black dash & door tops and sand everywhere else. it's a manual tranny with red brakes. 6,9k miles, purchased it new 8.06. only selling because i want a gt3. just thought i'd through it out there if you're interested. if not, good luck with your purchase, you will love it - great car
Sounds like a very nice car but red is not my thing.

Thanks for mentioning it though.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Gcalo

BTW, if anyone wants the 2008 order .pdf send me your e-mail.
PM sent. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
A little harsh, no?
+1. To each his own I guess. In summer of 2006 Ben was loving his M3, then got a 911 and said it is a true sports car compared to the e46 M3, and now the 911 is not a true sports car but a gt car...lol. Ben how are you liking the Work wheels? I was thinking of getting them but was turned away by the weight (they look stunning though).

Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 PM
sp330 is infamous around these parts
I must say from experience Ron has a point.

It's not so much all of these options detract from the driving experience a Porsche provides, rather it either distracts or just doesn't matter when you're carving curves with precision or years down the road in most cases.

Not that there's anything wrong with loaded cars, they're nice to look at, just not my cup of tea.

+1 to whoever said getting a color you don't see often

Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unclejosh
If you have the bucks, go OEM PowerKit...Why ?

1) Superb engineering and hardware, fully integrated + NO ISSUES.
2) Resale value

There seems to be a strange tendency for people to question Porsche engineering, which has developed the winningest combination in motorsports history...also many folks have spent significant resources on aftermarket kits and packages for minimal gains, perhaps some have ended up with a lesser vehicle.

I would suggest perusing other 997 forums - occasionally automotive engineers will pipe in and debunk the wisdom of aftermarket mods vs. OEM design and engineering. Q

I have driven the 2S and 4S. Yes, the 2S is zingier. It sticks like glue, but, I just loved the look of the 4S and decided that the AWD was a safety aspect I wanted given the varying conditions I drive in and the number of miles I put in.

GO OEM and you wont be sorry.

If I was a rich guy I would have a GT3RS for the track and keep my C4S for cruising around town.

Regards
Agree 1000%
BTW, get the C4S, you'll find yourself choosing to drive it everyday!(w/powerkit)

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 12-05-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
I take it you've never been to a DE or Club Race -- if you did, you'd see the PCA guys snickering at things like PCCB, the Sport Chrono Wart, and Navigation. Granted, these are the guys with 930s, 964s, 993s, GT3s, and all sorts of Cup Cars - so no, they aren't the typical consumer today. Whenever I'm at the track, people do come up to me to ask about my car -- initially because of the sweet sound coming from the 3.8 through the AWE headers / cats / mufflers, then because it's debadged and wearing 18" Fikse 13s. Then come the compliments about manual seats, no "fluff", etc. I got what I wanted -- a 997 platform with back seats, naturally aspirated. I didn't want turbo, power seats, navigation, gimmicks, etc.

What's pathetic is people discounting the roots of Porsche and what Dr. Porsche himself said about his car company. Purpose built sports cars and how he must be turning in the grave today given where things have gone. I don't mind that much because I know the general consumer who will never track their Porsche or drive it to the limit on the Autobahn has poured billions into Porsche which allows them to continue to make great cars. But I do wish they would at least offer a non-PCM dash and a sunroof delete for the 997 for those who want less.

As to PCCB -- if you don't like dust, change your pads. If you want lighter weight brakes, change the rotors to 2-piece floating ones.
I've had the 'pleasure' of seeing Ron's rear bumper several times at the track in my old c4s, he's very fast guys.
FYI, ther's a dealer in Ca(pioneer) selling a nice loaded c4s 14k under msrp, aerokit and red.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 12-05-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Well the replies have certainly been extremely helpful and extensive thanks to all.

I am being careful with this, because the Porsche depreciation concerns me. I have looked at Porsche cars a few years old, and I am surprised how low they are selling.

Certainly all cars depreciate, but some seem to do so greater than others. M-B is a perfect example, and for sure I would never deal with them again nor would I ever encourage one to do so.

With that said, the 2S seems to be what I am after. I doubt I would do the engine upgrade, because I could invest that $16K into real estate and do better long term.

So, I think I know what I want, and my choices are going to be primarily interior appointments, colors, and the like.

I don't see much value to the Sport Chrono package, but I am intrigued by the suspension mods I've read here which interest me far more than $16K+ on an engine upgrade.

Wheels will be base Porsche 19" to be immediately changed out with HRE's or Champions and with wider rubber.

I'll let all know what I decide.

Again, thanks to all.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
C4S - as an owner, I love the car's handling on sweeping turns. Tight turns, probably an S would be better. The car just grabs and doesn't let go. Yes, for a novice and in wet weather, its better than an S.

Wider rear track/look I like more than an S, but that alone wouldn't stop me from buying an S. Larger gas tank too. As I plan to use in winter at some point, 4S is a nice option for those somewhat light snowy days with winter tires.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Size
--Yes, for a novice and in wet weather, its better than an S. ---As I plan to use in winter at some point, 4S is a nice option for those somewhat light snowy days with winter tires.
In Northern California we, thankfully, don't get the weather days you mentioned.

Rain yes, but snow, no!

So, it will be mostly good weather and our plans call for a move to LaJolla (San Diego area) very soon, and if we don't move shortly, we'll have a house there, and the convertible will be great for that whether.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
DWN4WVR is infamous around these parts
Edgy01's 997 is probably one of the most memorable 997's I've ever seen. I got a C4S loaded to the gills including color to sample Signal Green. It's not any "less" of a true Porsche because it has the Bose, has the Sport Chrono or whatever else is non-essential.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.