997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

4s Advantages/disadvantages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 PM
BlueJay73 is infamous around these parts
Gcalo,
Not trying to change the direction of your thread, but I'm just curious.
What are you looking for in the 997 that the 360 doesn't give you? You mentioned cabrio, so you want a topless option. Is the 997 smoother, quieter, easier to drive, gives you a break from being gawked at, what? I've never been in a Ferrari, much less driven one. I had a '89 911, and have a '06 997 C2, which I enjoy as a DD, so I know what the p-car gives one, but the usual progression seems to be to get a F-car after you've had a P-car. You have the F, and now want the P. I'd have 'em both too, if I could.
Like I said, just curious.

Jim

Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Jetset is infamous around these parts
07 997 C4s, km driven 30.250:

+AWD is fantastic; U're able to drive the car all year round even in Finland!
+full leather interior, PCM, sportschrono, widebody, boot , decent fuel consumption etc. what else do U really need for a DD

-It needs more power!

=If U have the cash, go for Turbo unless u dislike turbos...

Old 03-28-2008, 05:54 PM
LeonJr is infamous around these parts
I like my cars like my women...with nice round asses. I love my 4S...with deep dish wheels, I have a 5inch lip in the rear and it's sick. To each his own.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Gcalo,
Not trying to change the direction of your thread, but I'm just curious.
What are you looking for in the 997 that the 360 doesn't give you? You mentioned cabrio, so you want a topless option. Is the 997 smoother, quieter, easier to drive, gives you a break from being gawked at, what? I've never been in a Ferrari, much less driven one. I had a '89 911, and have a '06 997 C2, which I enjoy as a DD, so I know what the p-car gives one, but the usual progression seems to be to get a F-car after you've had a P-car. You have the F, and now want the P. I'd have 'em both too, if I could.
Like I said, just curious.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I am keeping the 360. The car is incredible and fabulous. My bride will not drive it as she's intimidated by it which is fine by me.

However, I sold an SL 500 recently and miss the convertible. I like the 997's and thought it would be a great alternative as well as for topless driving. AND, I could do a few performance upgrades to it. My bride could drive that one though.

I also like the Bentley GT and the upgrades available for it.

So it's possible I may purchase both. The 997 would be great for LaJolla, but I am uncertain.

So, that's my interest. The 997 is a great all around car.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
Keep in mind that the XRR Carrera Sports wheels are the widest factory OEM wheels ever provided on a 911. They are even wider than those provided on the 997TT. Only the GT3's are slightly wider,--12 inches at the rear vice 11.5. Fronts are both 8.5. The usual wheels found on the 997 and 997S are 8 in front and 11 in the rear. When the Carrera 4 was introduced they also introduced the XRR rims which come with 235s in front and 305s in the rear. The regular wheels have the 295s on them in back. With 911s,--more wheel width = better.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 AM
'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about
You can guess from my name I found no disadvantages with the C4S.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Silentrun is infamous around these parts
Here is my C4S with GT3 RS wheels!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
You really can't go wrong with either. I wanted the 4s because I like the look of it better, I wanted awd for the northeast weather just incase I find myself in a slippery situation.

I also(it may just be in my head) but I seemed to fit better in a 4S, shouldler wise. It' seemed as though I had more room in that capacity?

The car is plenty fast for me. The few times I have really taken a sharp corner, it laughed at me as to say "is that all you got." If your concerned about trunk space....why the heck are you buying a Pcar anyway

The added weight wasn't an issue, I'm already fat enough that saving a few pounds on the car wouldn't really matter

Old 09-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Rivan

-it does understeer quit a bit more if you don't push it...

Really? Understeer from the awd variant? That seems counter intuitive. I would think you would loose any of the understeer the normally light in the front 2S would have with the additional weight of the drivetrain in the front end, putting more weight down on the front tires, and the front driven wheels making the car go where its pointed even more.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:38 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Understeer on a 4S

Old 09-26-2008, 04:13 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
My Norcal C4S daily driver that is also fun at the track

I have been thrilled with the handling my C4S, but must admit, perhaps defensively, that I am also a Tiptronic Infidel – I own a novice’s car, according to some purists….but, I am also a member of the quiet legion of Tip owners who need this option to survive the stop and go, the variable conditions, and commute multitasking activities that include Bluetooth phone work and coffee swilling. While I appreciate a 6-speed, and have enjoyed such in a 356 Speedster and a C2 997, it would be untenable for the variety of conditions that I experience on a typical daily drive over the Santa Cruz Mtns into Si Valley.

car is great in the rain and sleet in the winter as well....

Having said that, the C4S is also a heck of a lot of fun at trackdays – the car can be backed into corners and supports fun slip-angles at speed. It also sticks like glue when needed. I attach a photo taken at a recent track day at Laguna Seca, and notably, the next day, I piled the wife and 2 kids into the car for a pleasant outing at the beach. Truly a versatile car.

If I was track only I would go for the C2.

Last edited by unclejosh; 09-27-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
I'm not going to argue that the 121lbs of the AWD system is not noticable... but you need to be in danger of losing a track lap record before you notice this. In PCA time trialing, I notice it, yet I still have at least one class specific lap record. If you know how to drive the AWD car optimally, you can benefit from the extra drive wheels. It's still possible to control throttle on oversteer, etc. So, the weight is not nearly as penalizing as say - a person. The time loss is several tenths of a second in a 2+ minute lap.

The *real* weight issues in an S come from the standard luxury equipment included, like power seats, extra leather covering, sunroof, etc. If you really want a low weight track car, you need a stripped down model. If you have an 'S', it's got luxury equipment that does not make you fast. The 3.8L engine, on the other hand, does...

Old 09-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by unclejosh
I attach a photo taken at a recent track day at Laguna Seca

No wonder you were slow. Sheesh. Sun roof cracked and the windows down.. all that drag is killing you in the straights.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
sunroof

I was getting passed by 356s due to the open sunroof - very depressing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.