997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

K&N air filter install question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Orbiter is infamous around these parts
K&N air filter install question

Just brought home a new baby, 2007 997 S BLK/BLK coupe. Got a killer year end deal. The owner's manual does not show how to replace the air filter. Anybody know how to do it? Thought I'd ask the question before random removal of airbox parts.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 PM
aintpatricksday is infamous around these parts
Congratulations. Air filter is a bit of a PITA compared to other cars I have had. Basically the whole airbox comes out of the car, you flip it upside down, take out about 10 torx 25 screws and it comes apart. You need to loosen the clamp where it connects to the throttle body. Remove the wires to the mass airflow sensor (on the back side of the air tube where it exits the air filter housing). The oil filler tube snaps out of the slot that it sits in. There may be a couple of other wires you need to remove or unclip to get it out. The rubber grommet that it is attached to at the rear of the car just slips on and off. I saw some photos elsewhere that did a pretty good job of explaining it; if you do a google search you may find them. Good Luck.
PB

Old 12-01-2007, 09:00 PM
LamboPete is infamous around these parts
http://www.evoms.com/WebSiteUsers/ev...structions.pdf

Here is the instruction to show you how to remove the airbox. A huge Congrats on the new ride!!!

Last edited by LamboPete; 12-01-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:45 AM
purplec320 is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your new ride!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks, aintpatricksday & LamboPete for the technical help and the kind comments,
u 2 purplec320. That should do the trick. MB

Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 AM
LamboPete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JCS
No other filter will give you any measureable performance increase.
And if you are using one of those so-called " high efficiency" oiled filters, all you are asking for is potential MAF trouble and sludge build up in your engine.

Just trying to open up a discussion here, nothing more.

It has been well documented that K&N style filters "may" cause MAF trouble, and cause premature engine wear due to too much dirt into the engine.

But yet, I have NOT been able to find any data that shows....hey, my engine failed due to such type of filter. (Now, as for MAF, yes, there are many reports of it. But, once fixed, it's done.) The main issue I feel has always been the risk of premature engine wear due to excess amount of dirt going into the engine.

It's almost like, yes, these filters are NOT good for your car. Just like, eating T.V. dinners and most fast food are NOT good for YOU either. But in both, we still do it cause it's NOT going to kill us right?

Maybe the question should be, how long does it take to kill us?

In my made up example here, if using this type of filter will reduce engine life by 30%, and our engine is built to last 200,000 miles, than it's still good for 140K miles. As such, most of us will never put that much miles on the car before we sell it to make a single difference! Therefore, I would consider the risk of using this type of filter to be one that is, at the end of the day....an acceptable risk.

Any thoughts people?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:22 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Unless you drive in a very dusty or contaminated area I don't see the need for an aftermarket oiled filter. I would suspect that the concern regarding mass air sensors and such is from someone simply over oiling the filter thinking that just adds 'extra' protection. I also think that performance gains from aftermarket filters is another 'snake oil' (no pun intended) claim.

IMHO . . . Use the factory recommended dry filter.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I got a BMC filter and installed it at 3,000miles. I got the BMC filter for very cheap so I though I would try it. So far no issues at all. I did not notive any performance differences and did not expect any.

The reason some have had issue with the oiled filters and the MAF sensor is because they have over oiled the filter.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 PM
K&N install

Thanks to all for your input. I was unaware of many of the talking points. I first started using K&N filters kart racing w/ Parilla engines. I am experienced in cleaning & oiling them. I have used them in two BMW's and a C5 looking for a little xtra HP cheap. But I sold them unaware of any issues with less than 20K miles. I have used one in my Harley as well. I see that aftermarket cold air performance intake systems use them, all boasting of horsepower gains.

I thought they were a good thing. I'm glad I joined this forum.
The filter is still in the box!