997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Orderig a new 997S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM
daytrader is infamous around these parts
Christian,

We, at Pcars don't discriminate. We are a group of car loving people. NSX is always welcome. We have members who are driving Vette, Audi, BMW, Ferrari that attended our monthly GTG, fun run and even BBQ at member's home.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:03 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Sounds like you're totally sold on the C2S, Christian. You won't be disappointed. I love mine.

I have to say I haven't quite come to grips with the way a rear engine car behaves at the limit. Having to trail brake to get the car to rotate or to get it to understeer less is a new thing for me.

That of course is part of the fun.

I hear you on the AMV8 - it just looks so incredibly good inside and out. For that kind of money it should be faster though. I remember when they were talking about launching the car @ 90K. THAT would be pretty tough to argue with.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Pepper Brooks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Thanks Pepper Brooks.

I hear you on the garage queen idea. When I bought my NSX, I treated it like a garage queen for quite some time. I wouldn't take it out in foggy weather, I didn't drive it to work except on Fridays. You get the point.

I ended up catching a big piece of concrete on the 5 freeway a few months into ownership and it was almost like a de-flowering experience. It broke my heart but the car was no longer a virgin and I suddenly realized that my extreme measures of preserving the car would only really benefit the next owner.. not me.

So while the NSX is still my weekend/date 3rd car and it still lives most of its life under a cover in my garage (primarily because it's black and a huge PITA to keep clean), I've taken it on a few road trips over the last few years and now sometimes just take it out to go to the grocery store. It's definitely changed my perception and added tremendous enjoyment to exotic car ownership.
My brother in law who is a F430 owner told me driving his cars was like dating a super model. Why save her or the car for the next guy. Tear that model or car up every single day! You don't save it for the next guy.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:25 PM
kermit_S is infamous around these parts
Go.... GT3

I had my 997S and after 2 months I wanted to go GT3, trust me you wont regret it.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
gordon is infamous around these parts
Ordering a new 997s

I ordered my 08 997s from Newport Porsche and got 5000 off msrp. The car was optioned to a sticker price of 98000 and was sold for 93000. My experience with them was absolutely outstanding and I would buy from them again. Good luck with your purchase!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:43 PM
kermit_S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gordon
I ordered my 08 997s from Newport Porsche and got 5000 off msrp. The car was optioned to a sticker price of 98000 and was sold for 93000. My experience with them was absolutely outstanding and I would buy from them again. Good luck with your purchase!
bought 2 cars from Newport...good experience see Matt Gemici, really great guy

Old 12-06-2007, 03:48 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by daytrader
I forgot to mention to you about PCA Orange County Chapter. Sign up and come out to AX for driving instruction and Auto X. You will learn fast how to drive a rear engine car on all type of road conditions. Meet other Porsche owners for tips and info. Great fun and whole lot of driving skills.

How do I sign up for the PCA OC chapter. I'm a recent p car owner as well.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gordon
Thanks Gordon. Do you recall who you worked with? I had a brief conversation probably about 6 months ago with a gentleman, I think his name was Apollo ??? and he seemed extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by kermit_S
bought 2 cars from Newport...good experience see Matt Gemici, really great guy
Thank you for the lead. It's appreciated.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by kermit_S
Go.... GT3

I had my 997S and after 2 months I wanted to go GT3, trust me you wont regret it.
I've thought about it but to be honest, I don't think that's the right choice for me.
1) Between the angle of my driveway and most of the steep roads around me, I'm more than a little worried about scraping the crap out of the chin of a 997S, let alone a lower still GT3.
2) I'm realistic. As it is right now, my nearly 10-year old NSX is more car than I can realistically or safely use right now. And it's plenty powerful. My feeling is that this margin will increase with a 997S. The extra power and handling prowess of the GT3 would be wasted on a driver of my talents and only stroke my ego and lighten my wallet.
3) $$$ this will be the first car I've had to finance in a very long time. I could certainly afford the GT3 but realistically, why?
4) Looks. Call me crazy but just as I never liked the old "Whale Tale" 911s of the 1980's, I prefer the clean look of the 997 over the more aggressively spoilered GT3.

Don't misunderstand me.. the GT3 is one wicked car but it's not really what I'm looking for in my next sports car purchase.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 PM
GT3 is best for tracking and AX. Guy who loves to do some serious driving. But if you buy it and cruise around town to look good is a big waste to me.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by mass
How do I sign up for the PCA OC chapter. I'm a recent p car owner as well.
Mass,

If you like some serious driving and having a blast with your car along with learning the in & out of 911 then go here: http://www.pcaocr.org/

Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Spyderidol is infamous around these parts
Christian - I just want to wish you the best of luck with your eventual purchase.
I take my hat off to your very honest and humble approach.
This is so rear now-a-days.
I'm impressed!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lig
I understand completely. This is my first p-car too. Luckily I was able to find a pristine one that has got just about everything I wanted (and a little more) and I didn't have to take the 40K hit.

The problem for me is that if i were going to spend 100K+ right now I'd also be considering an R8 and the AMV8 as well - with strong consideration to the AMV8.
AMV8 is pure sex. I just wish it had another 50hp or so. As good as it looks, I cannot justify spending that much on a car which is only as fast as my previous e46 M3 was stock.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lig
Sounds like you're totally sold on the C2S, Christian. You won't be disappointed. I love mine.

I have to say I haven't quite come to grips with the way a rear engine car behaves at the limit. Having to trail brake to get the car to rotate or to get it to understeer less is a new thing for me.

That of course is part of the fun.

I hear you on the AMV8 - it just looks so incredibly good inside and out. For that kind of money it should be faster though. I remember when they were talking about launching the car @ 90K. THAT would be pretty tough to argue with.
Yup I was all over that one...had my name #2 on the waiting list at the Aston dealer here in Seattle. But when they called me and said it will be starting around $115k and was only to have around 350-380hp, I decided against it. STUPID decision...I could have got the car and probably sold it over sticker for a nice profit in the wallet. Dunno what the hell I was thinking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Orderig a new 997S