997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Blending 91 octane unleaded Premium with 100 octane unleaded Racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:48 PM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MJS NYC
I used to run unleaded in my (leased) M3... isn't this REALLY bad for the engine? I would never do this in my 997!
If i'm not mistaken leaded is bad.....you should have no problem with unleaded.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:45 AM
scuzy is infamous around these parts
so you ran 87 in a car that wanted 91+ didn't you notice the knocking on the m3 engine when you drove ?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
roadhumper is infamous around these parts
Blending 91 octane unleaded with 100 octane unleaded racing

Sunoco carrys 100 octane . My suggestion is you need to tune your car with 100 octane rather than blending with unleaded racing.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:29 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Here's a chart to help you figure it out
http://www.osbornauto.com/racing/blend.htm

Old 12-13-2007, 03:26 PM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rah79
where are you able to find 100 octane? Thnx
Any of the local tracks or drag strips... SP, VIR , etc...

Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
You can purchase an ECU reflash for 100 octane but you'd have to burn it all the time.

I don't think mixing fuel at that price makes sense.

If you had your ECU optimized for 91 you'd notice an improvement in performance and fuel mileage w/o having to burn the higher octane fuels.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scuzy
so you ran 87 in a car that wanted 91+ didn't you notice the knocking on the m3 engine when you drove ?
The computer will adjust for the lower octane - less power though.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:40 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
I'm in FL and we have 93 octane here and I still get a second of slight knock upon initial accleration every once and a while. I think the car's stock ecu will even further advance the timing a bit for octane beyond 93. Some on Rennlist have added octane booster and the slight split second of knock goes away and the car performs much better according to them.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:35 PM
MJS NYC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AP 997S
If it is 'bad' for the engine than every engine in California is 'bad'.

You've heard the expression 'get the lead out'. In California, and most other states, they took that to heart. Gas, paint, shotgun pellets, chinese toys, etc.

You are grossly mistaken. The EPA required traditional "pump" gasoline to have less than 0.10gpg of lead content as of January, 1986.

Leaded gasoline destroys your cats and O2 sensors... which is why virtually every modern car is badged "Unleaded Fuel Only".

Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MJS NYC
Leaded gasoline destroys your cats and O2 sensors...
And your fuel filter ..

If your going to run racing gas .. make sure its unleaded(it will be lower octane).

Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by lardog
Go to any airport 100LL is the most stable fuel. Please don't respond "it's bad for your seals or its not good at sea level." that is all bull s%&t. I get a 55 gal. drum filled and use it in my motorcycle ,PCW, and 50/50 in the 997.
That's OK for a motorcycle with no cat - I've used it too...but don't use it your P-car - LL stands for "low lead" and lead will kill your cat...and any warranty.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Must be one of those urban legends that lead kills cats. I had been running 100LL in my Harley in Texas and it was very easy to go to the local airport and get my 5 gallon can filled. When I moved to Colorado, I tried taking my 5 gallon can to Centennial airport and they looked at me like I was crazy - said no they wouldn't sell me LL and besides that it was illegal. I asked where someone could go and get it they needed it and they suggested Jeffco airport and said they had a self service pump - which they did but if you've seen the nozzels that airplanes use you'll understand the difficulty I had filling my little red can - anyway I still wouldn't use LL in my car - sounds like you've had good luck.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:06 PM
What happened to Lardog's posts on using 100LL - maybe he was worried his dealer would see he was using leaded gas

Old 12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all

Old 12-16-2007, 05:21 PM
aintpatricksday is infamous around these parts
Back in the late 70s when we didn't know any better, my step-brother was filling up his Chevy Blazer from the leaded tank we had out on the farm for the tractors etc. He had cut out the little restrictor they put in the nozzle to keep you from doing that. Anyway long story short, he's driving down the road about 6 mos later and smells something burning: the converter had gotten so hot it burned up the carpet on the pass side of the truck.
I was convinced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blending 91 octane unleaded Premium with 100 octane unleaded Racing