997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

07 997 C4S Track Use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:07 PM
op355 is infamous around these parts
07 997 C4S Track Use

Hello everyone
I have 07 997 C4S and using it mostly for track and seeking some advice.

First, I do understand C4S tends to understeer and so does mine. What could be done if I want to minimize the understeer?

Second, I have regular steel brakes and thinking about going with after-market brake pads. Can someone recommend me reputable brand and how hard of a compound should I go for?

Third, I am thinking about getting a track only rims and tires. I have been running a stock 19 with PS2. What's your recommendations for rim sizes and tire sizes? (I been told I should use 18s for track use) Also, any recommendations for semi-slick tires?

Thank you very much and hope to hear many diffrent opinions.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:06 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm... Do some searching and you'll find many answers to these questions, especially at RL.

Stock can get you up to about -0.8 to -1 degree of front camber. Will reduce understeer, but not eliminate it. I have GT3 Cup control arms up front and about -2 degrees. Still a little, but I want it there as a safety valve (not racing for money). About $1200 out the door with a track / street alignment.

I've tried a few pads and PFC 97s work well for me - no glazing, no fancy bedding in process, etc. Held up to the heat fine.

8.5" x 18 front and 11 x 18 rear wheels with proper 997 offsets. RA1 in 245/305 is a good "hybrid" track tire.

Good luck!
Ron

Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Thank you Ron

Thank you Ron for your response.

I did use search function w/o succesful results.
Well, maybe my searching skill is not good enough.

Anyways, what do you think about Porterfiled pads? and also is 18s the way to go for track?

Thank you

Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
No experience with Porterfields. I've used Pagid and PFC. Farnbacher Loles highly suggested the PFC 97s for the 997S.

There are pros and cons to 18s. Yes, they are the best size for track tires due to the many choices. Unfortunately, Porsche changed the rear tire diameter on the 997 platform from about 25.5 to almost 26.5". So if you want to match that and have the speedo / odo correct (and possibly insure PSM and ABS work 100% correctly), your choices may be limited. Toyo RA1 is a great choice for a 1st R-comp, but do yourself a favor and have them shaved.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Thank you again Ron

Thank you again Ron.
I will try PFC pads.

Is there after market control arm that I can use instead of GT3?

About wheels and tires, still can not make up my mind...

Old 12-17-2007, 04:57 AM
I don't think anyone even makes aftermarket control arms for a Porsche 997 (or any other for that matter). It's a pretty specific thing and Porsche already did all the R&D to create them for the GT3 Cup.

Have you had your alignment re-worked for track / street settings? My alignment came from the factory all messed up and so I got a free one from the dealer. You can get between -0.8 and -1 degree up front, which is much better than no negative camber (which my car had at delivery).

There really are few inexpensive options on wheels and tires. You could find yourself a set of take-off oem 19" wheels and put the 19" PSCs on, or find a set of GT3 take offs (I see them here and elsewhere from time to time). If set on 18", one inexpensive option is Tire Rack for a set of Volks - arrive at your door ready to drive (wheels, TPMS sensors, tires - PSCs as the rack does not carry Toyo).

Old 12-17-2007, 05:13 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RonCT

Have you had your alignment re-worked for track / street settings? My alignment came from the factory all messed up and so I got a free one from the dealer. You can get between -0.8 and -1 degree up front, which is much better than no negative camber (which my car had at delivery).
+1

My car came with -.25 from the factory .. I maxed it out to -1.3 (front) and -1.5 (rear) .. the wear hasn't differed much surprisingly.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:45 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Ron's definitely pointing you in the right direction. I'd also say that you can't ignore sway bars. Get a good adjustable set so that you can make changes how you see fit. They're really cheap too, and you definitely can use them to help you swing the tail around.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM
FYI - Farnbacher Loles set up my car and they certainly know 997s well. They strongly advised against changing the sways if you stick with the stock PASM suspension. Change that and yes, fiddle with sways.

As with tires (RA1s being 1st step in R-comps vs. going right to Hoosiers), you might want to try an intermediate pad before going full race...