997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 style bumper and lowering springs??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Whirlinturbin is infamous around these parts
GT3 style bumper and lowering springs??

Bad combination. I already drive myself nuts with my H&R lowering springs and the OEM bumper. Those of you with the GT3/Aero front, what are your thoughts and experiences on ground clearance?

Thanks a ton. And, yes, I am still considering the TechArt lip -- just hopelessly indecisive today.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
cat1pro is infamous around these partscat1pro is infamous around these parts
silver 997 with 20s

I think I'm in for the techart side skirts and lowering springs only.....i'm out on the lip because i can't drive 55

Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
08-911-C4S is infamous around these parts
You will rub!

The GT3/Aero front bumper is lower and does extend out farther forward making departure angles even worse. Slight scraping from driveways and speed bumps will not damage the cover or lip and the lip is replaceable for approx. $100. However, you will need to be extremely careful of the cement tire stops in parking lots. Those will ruin your day if you are not paying attention when parking. If your car is only a weekend warrior then the extra driving attentiveness is no big deal... daily driver you may want to pass especially since you are already having problems with the OEM bumper.

Good Luck!

Picture of my C2 at stock height.

Attached Images  

Last edited by 08-911-C4S; 01-02-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:02 PM
atleung is infamous around these partsatleung is infamous around these parts
If you are already going nuts with the stock bumper, the GT3 bumper may not be for you. I try to be careful, but I still manage to scrape often enough when I am getting onto or off of the road, say, to a gas station. I don't even try to go into a public garage any more as most of them seem to have a steep incline at the entry. But as someone has said already, a replacement lip is cheap (though I can't find $100 ones anymore...they are more like $200 now) and the install is easy. So as long as you plan to change the lip out often, maybe you won't drive yourself completely nuts.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Maison is infamous around these parts
What's the clearance from the ground to the GT3 front bumper on a stock ride w/o any lowering?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:19 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Just do it.....it's very doable, just need to drive careful. Have it wrapped in plastic and be prepared to replace your lower lip. No biggie IMO...the look is worth it:

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
It pops right off too. I take mine on and off to put the car in the trailer. Should take you 3 minutes with anything less than 4 beers in you.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by blakt out
It pops right off too. I take mine on and off to put the car in the trailer. Should take you 3 minutes with anything less than 4 beers in you.
How is this done?. I ordered a replacement lip but don't know how to take the old one off and put the new one on. Didn't want to force it and break something , is there an easy way to describe the install process?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
There are these flat nipple things that have lips on them that must be depressed to pull it off easily. You can get in behind the bumper (from the bottom) if need be and unclasp them with a flathead. I've just tugged on mine in the wheel well area and then worked my way to the nose.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Anyone measured the ground clearance with the GT3/Aero bumper and lowering springs/coilovers? I have H&R springs with the OEM bumper. Tonight I measured 6.5 inches from the OEM lip to the ground and 4.3 inches from the rubber spoiler underneath to the ground. That spoiler scrapes all the time. I figure it's pretty close to what the GT3 bumper would be. Scrape scrape scrape ... every 400 feet?

What ground clearance measurements are you guys coming up with?

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:17 AM
ty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Whirlinturbin
Anyone measured the ground clearance with the GT3/Aero bumper and lowering springs/coilovers? I have H&R springs with the OEM bumper. Tonight I measured 6.5 inches from the OEM lip to the ground and 4.3 inches from the rubber spoiler underneath to the ground. That spoiler scrapes all the time. I figure it's pretty close to what the GT3 bumper would be. Scrape scrape scrape ... every 400 feet?
What ground clearance measurements are you guys coming up with?

Thanks!
As I told you on the PM my GT3 front is 4" of the ground that is with Bilstein PSS Coil-Over System. If you look at Synergy see above picture with H&R drop, his GT3 front is 3" of the ground. It's not a every day driving car for sure, but it's a best front end Porsche ever make!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Yep...knew you had 4 inches with the coilovers.

Just trying to find out what ground clearance those with lowering springs have. Our roads in Midtown and Buckhead look like they sustained 21 nights of B-2 raids. This road construction weighs heavy on my mind and I don't want to tear up my handiwork 3 days into it. I appreciate your comments and your car is awesome.

So, is anyone with (1) lowering springs and (2) the GT3 or Aerokit front bumper willing to measure your (3) clearance ("gap") from the bottom of your lip to the ground?

Hopefully at least one of you has more than 4 inches....that gives me hope, 'cause I'm not keen on putting the OEM springs back on.

Many thanks!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Mister PINK is infamous around these parts
Evil twin brother!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
ModHog is infamous around these parts
I use my C2S as a DD (GT3 front w/H&R), I love the look on mine but I have to remove the lower lip to spray paint it once a week (The lower lip on mine is not painted to match body color). I figure I'll replace it every year. Like it's already been said the lower lip is inexpensive to replace and its worth the trouble for the look.

Theres always the Ruf front..........GL & enjoy

Originally Posted by Whirlinturbin
Just trying to find out what ground clearance those with lowering springs have. Our roads in Midtown and Buckhead look
like they sustained 21 nights of B-2 raids. This road construction weighs heavy on my mind and I don't want to tear up my handiwork 3 days into it. I appreciate your comments and your car is awesome.

So, is anyone with (1) lowering springs and (2) the GT3 or Aerokit front bumper willing to measure your (3) clearance ("gap") from the bottom of your lip to the ground?

Hopefully at least one of you has more than 4 inches....that gives me hope, 'cause I'm not keen on putting the OEM springs back on.

Many thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:14 AM
ak996TT is infamous around these parts
thanks guy, good info to know before I buy my OEM GT3 bumper,,,,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 style bumper and lowering springs??