997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PS2 or RE050A?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by porschenut911
+1 here
The PP have the UNI-T technology...a supposed formula one technology that from what I understand improves wet traction. I looked at my RE050A the other day and it seems the rears only have around 25% tread remaining after only 6k miles of daily driving (lots of spirited driving in there). I think no matter what tires I go with on this car, the rears will probably get no more than 10k miles with spirited driving. For this reason I am going with the RE050A again as I have been pleased with them and also because I have so many other bills I need to pay so an extra $600 for the PS2 seems illogical at this point...

Old 01-10-2008, 03:30 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I made it to 16,000 miles on my stock PS2's, which is why I went for them again on my aftermarket wheels.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by spyder997s
I made it to 16,000 miles on my stock PS2's, which is why I went for them again on my aftermarket wheels.
16k is impressive but I guess it just depends on how you drive your car. I have been on at least 3 drives with the car with other P-car and/or BMW buddies. I could probably squeeze out around 15k miles with the RE050A that are on there now, but the problem is that it rains so much up here and the last 10-15% are not going to be all that great in the wet.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM
luce is infamous around these parts
The RE050A pole positions are a superior tire to the regular RE050As. I've had both on the same car and found that the pole positions have much better dry traction.

I've also had the PS2s on different vehicles and believe the pole positions offer similar performance at a lower price point. Which tire offers more grip is hard to tell and for regular driving, I don't think you'd find a difference. Even during spirited driving, I think it'd be hard to find a difference. The PS2s are one of the best all-around tires, but if you have focused needs, whether that be dry grip, wet grip or tread life, then there are better choices out there.

Last edited by luce; 01-10-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 AM
stom_m3 is infamous around these parts
So here's straight from the B-stone website;

RE050's
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...ProductID=1063

Original equipment on many high-performance vehicles, the Potenza RE050 is built for the pleasure of driving. This tire comes loaded with race-proven technology: UNI-T for outstanding wet and dry traction, a tread pattern that promotes rapid water evacuation, variable dimensions in the tread blocks, and the smoother shape to reduce road noise. An asymmetrical pattern in the RE050A tread increases surface contact to enhance acceleration and cornering. Put this Potenza through its paces and discover what ultra-high performance really means.

Innovative Tire Design - A Comprehensive Tire Design Method
This method improves handling in wet or dry conditions and reduces irregular treadwear by combining an ideal tread design, casing shape, materials and construction.

Innovative Roundness - Rounder Is Better
Rounder overall tire shape provides better balance for wet or dry handling.

Innovative Compound - Longer Is Stronger
L.L. Carbon utilizes a special form of molecular re-engineered carbon black, a key factor in improving tire wear while enhancing wet performance.

Rim Guard
A raised rubber ridge acts like a bumper to protect wheels from curb damage.

Spiral Wrap
Spiral Wrap is a continuous nylon wrap that encircles the whole tire, helping the tire hold its original shape to improve high speed capability.

RE050APP's
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...ProductID=1113

The Potenza RE050A Pole Position comes loaded with race-inspired technology: UNI-T for outstanding wet and dry traction, a tread pattern that promotes rapid water evacuation, variable dimensions in the tread blocks, and a smooth shape to reduce noise. An asymmetrical pattern in the RE050A Pole Position tread increases surface contact to enhance acceleration and cornering. Put this Potenza through the paces and discover what ultra-high performance really means.

This method improves handling in wet or dry conditions and reduces irregular treadwear by combining an ideal tread design, casing, shape, materials and construcion.

Innovative Roundness - Rounder is Better

L.L. Carbon utilizes a special form of molecular re-engineered carbon black, a key factor in improving tire wear while enhancing wet performance.

Silica
Specially formulated and processed compound to improve traction, especially in wet conditions.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
MrBonus is infamous around these parts
I've got the RE050As on my Mazdaspeed and Pilot Sport 2s on the 997S. I will have RE050As on both cars when I run through this last set of tires on the 997S. There is no reason to pay the price they ask for these PS2s with substantially less expensive alternatives that have a marginal (If any) difference in performance.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stom_m3
So here's straight from the B-stone website;

RE050's
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...ProductID=1063

Original equipment on many high-performance vehicles, the Potenza RE050 is built for the pleasure of driving. This tire comes loaded with race-proven technology: UNI-T for outstanding wet and dry traction, a tread pattern that promotes rapid water evacuation, variable dimensions in the tread blocks, and the smoother shape to reduce road noise. An asymmetrical pattern in the RE050A tread increases surface contact to enhance acceleration and cornering. Put this Potenza through its paces and discover what ultra-high performance really means.

This method improves handling in wet or dry conditions and reduces irregular treadwear by combining an ideal tread design, casing shape, materials and construction.

Innovative Roundness - Rounder Is Better

Rim Guard
A raised rubber ridge acts like a bumper to protect wheels from curb damage.

Spiral Wrap
Spiral Wrap is a continuous nylon wrap that encircles the whole tire, helping the tire hold its original shape to improve high speed capability.

RE050APP's
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...ProductID=1113

The Potenza RE050A Pole Position comes loaded with race-inspired technology: UNI-T for outstanding wet and dry traction, a tread pattern that promotes rapid water evacuation, variable dimensions in the tread blocks, and a smooth shape to reduce noise. An asymmetrical pattern in the RE050A Pole Position tread increases surface contact to enhance acceleration and cornering. Put this Potenza through the paces and discover what ultra-high performance really means.

This method improves handling in wet or dry conditions and reduces irregular treadwear by combining an ideal tread design, casing, shape, materials and construcion.

Innovative Roundness - Rounder is Better

Silica
Specially formulated and processed compound to improve traction, especially in wet conditions.
So it looks as if there is not too much of a difference other than improved wet traction (advanced silica) and both have UNI-T but the PP does not have the rim guard. I think the PP vs. non should not be a deal breaker at all. I wonder if the PP is lighter???

Last edited by 500; 01-11-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by spyder997s
I got 20+k on one set, beating the snot out of them, though with a very tire-friendly suspension and alignment setup. ~8k on the current set and they're barely half-worn.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
My Pirellis and Dunlops, on the other hand, would run out of tread before 10,000 miles.

Simba, 20K is awesome! Looks like PS2's are not too shabby on the tread wear, given this "tire-friendly" suspension. I may have to raise my car more

Old 01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Re-setting suspension points to the minimum spec will greatly increase tire wear.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I've got the RE050As on my Mazdaspeed and Pilot Sport 2s on the 997S. I will have RE050As on both cars when I run through this last set of tires on the 997S. There is no reason to pay the price they ask for these PS2s with substantially less expensive alternatives that have a marginal (If any) difference in performance.
How do you like the mazdaspeed 3? I am thinking about getting one maybe this summer or fall as a daily driver (997 C2S is my current dd). Any point in upping the boost?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by M32911S
How do you like the mazdaspeed 3? I am thinking about getting one maybe this summer or fall as a daily driver (997 C2S is my current dd). Any point in upping the boost?
I've only had it two days but thus far I love it. It's surprisingly quick and deceptively fast on the highway, especially when you inadvertently slip into boost. The car handles very well but it surprisingly comfortable and it has amazing amounts of room for a compact.

I drove the GTI and Cooper S but the overall package really favors the Mazda. The GTI was the most comfortable but it had no character and wasn't fun to drive. The Mini was an absolute blast to drive. Very nimble and you feel like you're driving a go cart. Unfortunately, the dealers don't budge on prices and it's difficult to find one that is less than $30,000 off the lot.

The Mazda was a perfect compromise and an amazing performance bargain. As far as boost, I hear they're seeing good gains with bolt-ons. I'm keeping mine stock however. I just want reliable transportation.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 PM
I've only had it two days but thus far I love it. It's surprisingly quick and deceptively fast on the highway, especially when you inadvertently slip into boost. The car handles very well but it surprisingly comfortable and it has amazing amounts of room for a compact.

I drove the GTI and Cooper S but the overall package really favors the Mazda. The GTI was the most comfortable but it had no character and wasn't fun to drive. The Mini was an absolute blast to drive. Very nimble and you feel like you're driving a go cart. Unfortunately, the dealers don't budge on prices and it's difficult to find one that is less than $30,000 off the lot.

The Mazda was a perfect compromise and an amazing performance bargain. As far as boost, I hear they're seeing good gains with bolt-ons. I'm keeping mine stock however. I just want reliable transportation.
Good feedback. The main thing I am concerned about is torque steer and handling with that much torque through the front wheels. I really like the look of the speed3; even the regular mazda3 5-door looks great imho. Were you able to get much off the sticker? I am wanting to wait as long as possible before purchasing due to other expenses and also because winter is going to pass in about a month and a half (so no point in not driving the 997 when the weather is decent). Any idea on if 08 is the last production year on the mazdaspeed 3? Any forums recommended on reading up on it? TIA.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by M32911S
Good feedback. The main thing I am concerned about is torque steer and handling with that much torque through the front wheels. I really like the look of the speed3; even the regular mazda3 5-door looks great imho. Were you able to get much off the sticker? I am wanting to wait as long as possible before purchasing due to other expenses and also because winter is going to pass in about a month and a half (so no point in not driving the 997 when the weather is decent). Any idea on if 08 is the last production year on the mazdaspeed 3? Any forums recommended on reading up on it? TIA.
It definitely torque steers. You just can't get around that in a car with this kind of power. Punch it in the first two gears and it will pull you into oncoming traffic if you aren't careful.

As for pricing, they hooked me up on my trade in. My LX450 had a broken antenna and was leaking coolant and oil in the parking lot. I wasn't expecting anything over $4000 and they gave me $6600 but didn't budge on MSRP. They basically put my discount in the trade-in. I couldn't complain.

No idea if it's the final production year. Obviously, MS cars rarely are produced for more than a few years at a time.

Here are the two main forums for them:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php

Be warned. They're full of young kids who want to argue over what cars the MS3 is faster than in a straight line.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 PM
It definitely torque steers. You just can't get around that in a car with this kind of power. Punch it in the first two gears and it will pull you into oncoming traffic if you aren't careful.

As for pricing, they hooked me up on my trade in. My LX450 had a broken antenna and was leaking coolant and oil in the parking lot. I wasn't expecting anything over $4000 and they gave me $6600 but didn't budge on MSRP. They basically put my discount in the trade-in. I couldn't complain.

No idea if it's the final production year. Obviously, MS cars rarely are produced for more than a few years at a time.

Here are the two main forums for them:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php

Be warned. They're full of young kids who want to argue over what cars the MS3 is faster than in a straight line.
Doesn't surprise me. I bet there will probably be a few on there that will claim the speed3 is as fast as a 997 C2S!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PS2 or RE050A?