997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

coming from a e39 m5...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:07 AM
danster is infamous around these parts
lol!

please....no offense...i am not trying to state my car is superior to the 911....quite the contrary...i am just saying, my car pulls very hard on the top end. btw, it is somewhat modified. why is it that some porsche owners have this defensive streak? my fellow orthopaedic friend is like that with his 996 porsche...and i never said anything about racing him...but he always says he can whoop my ****.

and yes, i agree...911 is legendary...why do you think i want one?

wrx? now that's for your kids...

-dan

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned
Trevor Ely is infamous around these parts
I'm a huge fan of M5s, primarily the cars of the handbuilt variety (E28 and E34), but I have huge respect for the E39 M5 as an all around über saloon. I must ask though, what are you going to be using the vehicle for? I only say this, because the M5 is obviously a lot more understated (if you care about this) and doesn't draw near the attention (...this includes negative) that the bath-tub might, color dependent. Along with this, there is the subject of practicality where the M5 can't be beat. If you're ever carrying clients/etc. this is definitely preferred.

If this vehicle is merely a toy, I'd say you should definitely try on a 911, and one of the 997 variety would certainly ignite the senses. There's an entirely different feeling of connection between you and the car in the bath-tub, as I'm sure you've already discovered.

Saying all this, I'm with you on the "Sleepers" or "Wolves in Sheep's clothing" theme...I enjoy driving things that it takes a connoisseur to realize what it is.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 PM
hey trevor.
thanks for the note.

you are right, the 997 just seems to be so much FUN. it's truly a drivers car.

my m5 is a complete "wolf in sheep's clothing". and i do love that part of the car.
i rarely have passengers, it's my daily driver, and don't golf. but i do love the space when needed, the torque, and the creature comforts.

i am still shopping around and have found some nice 996tts. i am just trying to decide on the 996 vs 997. i know the 997 is an entirely different car, but the 996tt simply hauls. and i can't afford a 997tt at the moment.

i drive at least 60miles per day. i am quite concerned that i'd be driving the 911 to the ground. my m5 has been very reliable. i hope the same with a 911.

thanks again.

-dan

Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Some people give him a break - I do not think it was a fishing story. If it was I am sure some of you are guilty of at one point or another.

Dan I hope that you make the decision based on your "OWN" findings. The cost to maintain is close to each other with the P-Car being a little better over time. I have come from an 03 E39 M5 and had nothing but great comments to say about it. As one has stated here it is one of the cars that I regretting selling but my 997TT is a great weekender. If I had more space I would get another 03 E39 M5 and it is in the works. I miss it and would only get another Alpine White.

Do not be disillusioned about safety in larger vehicles. Check out safety crash tests with trucks/suvs over smaller cars and some of the smaller cars came out much better. It really depends on the manufacturer and how they view safety. Porsche doesn't mess around in that area - the are top notch.

If the bug has hit you it won't let go very quickly if ever. Do it now and go for a 997 with warranty. It will minimize your risk and if you need to sell it later the previous owner if you are buying preowned has already taken the hard part of the depreciation.

Good luck with your decision.

No more fishing stories in here or they will make bait out of you

Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
thanks for the comments, alpine.
my God...i can't imagine a 997tt. that must make you feel blessed each and everyday.
and to think, our little "dilemmas" of having to choose a p-car...man, we should have no complaints.

you are so right as well. i keep thinking about the 997 more and more. and i feel if i don't do it now, i most likely never will. i only have a 6mo old boy at the moment. and if more come along, i swear i will never buy a minivan, but having a 911 would not make much sense.

i do enjoy my m5, but the 911 just seems so much more visceral.
do you think driving 60+ miles everyday would take a big hit on the car (maintainence, value, etc)?

btw, i do like fishing, just on the boat.

-dan

Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
hformrace1 is infamous around these parts
go for it!

I have the '05 C2S launch car and had to justify it to my wife as far as its practical points before purchasing it. I have 3 boys and my weekends with them are pure magic. They love getting in "daddy's cool car". my boys are ages 8, 5 and 1 1/2. for the youngest one once he was old / heavy enough I purchased the Britax Roundabout child seat, removed the seat bottom cushions in the back (only held in with velcros), removed one torx head bolt easy enough) and voila, enough room for the seat and the four boys (I'm the youngest ) to spend some quality R&R time together. IT'S VERY PRACTICAL IN MY BOOK! So, pull the trigger and go for it!
By the way, the child seat is a permanent addition in the back of my porsche. Chicks dig it .
http://picasaweb.google.com/accutech...59859309568082
pic of child seat in car (click link above)

Last edited by hformrace1; 02-12-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: insert link to pic
Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
So the members have spoken. Go for it!

As far as value, maintainence, etc - if you find a nice preowned car with low mileage for the year you will be fine. Example find an 05 with 12-18K miles on it. It is now 08 which will generally allow you 10-12K miles per year as low. 3 years = 30-36K miles. You are now about 20K ahead to catch up. Over a 3 year ownership you should even it out or perhaps still be below.

Outside of that fact the 997 P-Cars are not that expensive to upkeep and maintain. The E39 had some small issues with Carbon Buildup but for the most part I think the motor is bullet proof. A rebuild can be more expensive than a P-Car's M97 block. Brakes and dealer service costs the same or a little less than the M5.

hform's kids love it so will yours

Old 02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I don't get the "toy" thing as it applies to Porsche. I use my car on a regular basis. Made the Target run yesterday in it. It is no more a toy than my E46 M3 was. The one I have has real wheels and the doors open and close. Horn honks as well. Sour grapes, me thinks. My other car is not an M5 but a Subaru Outback. Now thats a great toy in the snow. My Dobie loves it. Gerry

Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 PM
hformrace1 is infamous around these parts
regarding your concerns for putting lots of miles and driving it to the ground, mine's a daily driver, that's why the baby seat is in permanently for now. Never know when I might have to take one of three or all of them somewhere. I put on anywhere from 20 to 200 miles a day, depending on which client needs attention. So far so good. Aside from my A/C vent side to side thingy, everything's tip top. Every car's got its quirks but main thing is mechanically its hassle free.....knock on wood.

Last edited by hformrace1; 02-12-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned
Dan, check your PMs.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gpjli
I don't get the "toy" thing as it applies to Porsche. I use my car on a regular basis. Made the Target run yesterday in it. It is no more a toy than my E46 M3 was. The one I have has real wheels and the doors open and close. Horn honks as well. Sour grapes, me thinks. My other car is not an M5 but a Subaru Outback. Now thats a great toy in the snow. My Dobie loves it. Gerry
I see where you're coming from, and the 911 is certainly a very usable sports car. That being said, it's still a sports car, and it lacks the room for more than one human passenger, and regardless of what some may say, isn't quite as relaxed/comfortable as an E39 M5. Now, I'm one of the exceptions (along with you, I'm guessing) who doesn't have any problem with the 911's 'unpracticality' and would have no problem using it as a daily...Only, I'm of a younger demographic and don't typically accommodate more than one passenger, regardless of the vehicle!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Trevor Ely
I see where you're coming from, and the 911 is certainly a very usable sports car. That being said, it's still a sports car, and it lacks the room for more than one human passenger, and regardless of what some may say, isn't quite as relaxed/comfortable as an E39 M5. Now, I'm one of the exceptions (along with you, I'm guessing) who doesn't have any problem with the 911's 'unpracticality' and would have no problem using it as a daily...Only, I'm of a younger demographic and don't typically accommodate more than one passenger, regardless of the vehicle!
Dear Trevor: Does the saying "horses for courses" mean anything to you? How can you possibly question whether or not the 911 is the car I, or others on this board, want, need, lust to drive? We hardly know each other. This is ,afterall, a 997 Porsche Board. If the car does not meet your needs feel free to drive what you wish. Just do not profess to having universal knowledge in these matters. That is a common failing of the young.

Last edited by Gpjli; 02-12-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Dear Trevor: Does the saying "horses for courses" mean anything to you? How can you possibly question whether or not the 911 is the car I, or others on this board, want, need, lust to drive? We hardly know each other. If it does not meet your needs feel free to drive what you wish. Just do not profess to having universal knowledge in these matters. That is a failing of the young.

Again, I can understand your argument and don't pretend to be 'all-knowing' in the subject of vehicle choice. I am simply adding some simple suggestions concerning the 911 (mostly pertaining to basic subjects, like practicality and 'understatedness').

If you care to, shoot me a PM. I feel we've littered this fellow's thread enough.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
i'd say wait it out until your kid is old enough for front-facing car seat or better yet, able to walk. there's not much room in the back for portable baby carriers much less strollers. you already have a great car. wait it out until there's no doubt in your mind that the 911 is right car to replace your m5. it's too bad you can't have both. what if you just supercharge the m5?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
that sounds like wise advice.
the whole rear-facing child seat can get quite tough to handle.
i'd love to keep the m5, but yeah..it'd be just too much for my plate.
i thought of a supercharger....but boy, speaking of maintainence cost. i'd be a little worried.

i currently have 61k miles on the m5. it's certified to 100k miles. do you think it's wise to sell or use up the 100k cpo warranty and THEN get into a 911?

thanks everyone.

-dan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: coming from a e39 m5...