997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

check engine light - catalyic converters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM
jreeves197 is infamous around these partsjreeves197 is infamous around these parts
Well I have been taking it for the team, I also had the early design on their mufflers and they had design flaw to where there was a raspy sound at 4000 rpm's because of a loose piece inside the cans.. They were aware of it and had no problem fixing them but again I had to take them off and send them in. I hate being without my car and paying for labor but I had no choice.. They say a lot of the cats are fine so I'm trying one last time. You have to be in the situation to understand, after spending the money on labor and the original cost of the parts, I'm just through spending money. Everyone has a limit and I reached mine. I would definitely buy from AWE again because of the polite,prompt service.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts
The hassle alone would be worth the $500 upgrade to me... I've had the AWE cats on my car for 2 years with no problems... sweet product

Old 02-09-2008, 11:08 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
I have had a few CELs, however it could be the known gas / vapor lock issue. I have the complete AWE setup (about 1.5 years old) and the CEL has gone on about three times. Each time i open the gas cap and re-tighten it and the CEL goes away...

Old 02-10-2008, 12:10 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jreeves197
They will let you upgrade but I wasn't willing to pay for somthing I thought should have been upgraded for free. Its not my fault the product is defective, I paid for sport cats that don't cause a cel and the price was 995.00 THEN less than a year later I have to pay 500.00 more because "THE NEW ONES" won't have a cel and the old one might?? I'm out on that. Mike at AWE has been more than awesome in repairing and getting my parts back to me supe fast but upper management calls the shots on what they are allowed to do, so if my cats go bad again I will have to have a serious conversation about getting the newer cats because I'm not going to keep paying for labor.
Correct me if I am wrong .. but I believe the first-gen cats had an issue with the original supplier (of the 200cell). Now they have switched to HJS with apparently better results.

Which leads me to ask, shouldn't the original supplier foot the bill for the bad cats? I can imagine that there would be several financial implications if AWE had to foot the bill for every cat upgrade (especially since it's more expensive).

Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 PM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
It still isnt fixed, I'l bet 1000.00 it come back on in a week or two depending on your driving. Mine did the same thing, as the element shifts around sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, at cold start is normally when it will go off. Once the exhaust bypasses again you will get another cel.. I was hoping for bad gas when that happened to me but it went off and on for 6 weeks before I had time to swap them for my oems so I could ship them out. Good luck with them though, if they can track where they were purchased they may still fix them for you.
I know its not fixed but as long as its nothing that will cause damage to the car I don't care. It did come back but went away in a few min. and hasn't come back for a few days. I don't want to pay money for new ones and then pay for labor and more then anything its just time consuming doing all this.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
jreeves197 is infamous around these partsjreeves197 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mishref
Correct me if I am wrong .. but I believe the first-gen cats had an issue with the original supplier (of the 200cell). Now they have switched to HJS with apparently better results.

Which leads me to ask, shouldn't the original supplier foot the bill for the bad cats? I can imagine that there would be several financial implications if AWE had to foot the bill for every cat upgrade (especially since it's more expensive).
I don't know what awe had worked out with the original manufacturer but they told me the decision was made that for anyone with issues with the non-hjs cats to have the cat sections cut out and replaced with new ones of the same kind. I have heard the new HJS are a lot better quality and haven't had as many issues if any.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by synergy
I have had a few CELs, however it could be the known gas / vapor lock issue. I have the complete AWE setup (about 1.5 years old) and the CEL has gone on about three times. Each time i open the gas cap and re-tighten it and the CEL goes away...
My car is a daily driver and I put about 15K a year on it. When I pulled the cats off I shook them and could hear the element moving around inside.. I don't know your driving habits but if you don't drive as much you may not notice for awhile. By the way how the hell do you keep your front lower lip in good condition?? I just had mine repainted and ordered another for a spare. Ive only had my bumper on a few months.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
reeves...ya goota pull into driveways and such at an angle.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
reeves...ya goota pull into driveways and such at an angle.
Lol, I do but mine isnt even lowered and it scrapes everything. I wanted to lower it but I couldn't imangine what would happen then. the lambo's have the right idea with the push button front lift for clearance.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Lol, I do but mine isnt even lowered and it scrapes everything. I wanted to lower it but I couldn't imangine what would happen then. the lambo's have the right idea with the push button front lift for clearance.
At an angle and also engage PASM - stiffens compression and rebound and makes a difference on my driveway.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
At an angle and also engage PASM - stiffens compression and rebound and makes a difference on my driveway.
Really?? PASM actually lowers the car slightly, I didn't think the stiffer suspension would offset the lowering that much but thanks for the info.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Really?? PASM actually lowers the car slightly, I didn't think the stiffer suspension would offset the lowering that much but thanks for the info.
If you have PASM, the car is lower than the basic suspension...but engaging PASM does not lower the car. Maybe it's my imagination but I don't scape when PASM is engaged.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future

Only on ROTW cars not US cars does the PASM lower the car.

Dave

Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 PM
4thPorsche is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by synergy
I went with the Fabspeed 200 Cats and had 4or 5 CELs when filling up the during the first couple of months. Just restarted the car and they disappeared. Nothing in the last 4 - 6 months.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by 4thPorsche
I went with the Fabspeed 200 Cats and had 4or 5 CELs when filling up the during the first couple of months. Just restarted the car and they disappeared. Nothing in the last 4 - 6 months.
I started with the fabspeed cats and as soon as I installed them the cel came on. Vividracing gave me a credit and they also purchased the awe cats for me so I could use my credit, those guys are great at vivd. I keep hearing about hjs so I guess they are doing things right with their cats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: check engine light - catalyic converters