997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

wheels and bodykit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
What material did you use to make these?
I knew this question would come up,LOL !!
I started the whole ordeal by masking taping the parts to be fiberglassed.Once fiberglassing was done I end up with a skin that fits "Perfectly" to the car.I then was using........A drywall compound called Concrete fill.....yes that rights !
Easy to sand,easy to erase and easy to form.It has tiny fiberglass hairs in it thus giving some pretty good holding power.The stuff sets up within' an hour,only complaint is even though it is set-up it is not thoroughly dry.So I built a sealed enclosure to put the parts into with a fan and de-humidifier to speed this process up.Once dry I brush on some resin(with no hardner) on the piece and right after brush on a mixture of lightweight body filler and resin with enough catalyst to make it all cure together.Then final coat of body glaze,high build primer,wet sand and off to get molds built.

SSHHHHH it is a secret !

PS this has been one of the most frustrating projects I have done in a long time,that Techart kit is starting to look GREAT,LOL !!!

Attached Images    
Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
the pieces on your car, will they be used for the molds? or are those from the molds? anycase.. its looking good

Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
the pieces on your car, will they be used for the molds? or are those from the molds? anycase.. its looking good
These are the prototypes.Once done molds get made from these and then parts from the molds.
I am just trying to figure out right now if they may be a bit big. I may cut a 1/2 inch of the bottom yet,just not sure.Half the problem is,not matching the body colour,they stand out really bad,LOL !

Old 03-28-2008, 06:25 PM
mysticalec is infamous around these parts
wow great project!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Here is a pic of the latest style I designed and feel it is the one I will stick with until the end !
I coated it in the fiberglass resin and body filler mix to get it all in one colour so you can see the lines better.Please understand I need to block sand and even out the lines(They are still in the rough state).Trust me upon final prep all the lines will be MINT !
One problem is with this style of sideskirts I will need to liven' up the rear pieces a bit.

Stacy

Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 AM
'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about
Very nice!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Carrera345 is infamous around these parts
Nice work on the kit.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Just want to say thanks again for the compliments !!!
This is why I mod my cars,personal preference and to get a reaction from people who look at it (not that the Porsche ever needed the mods)!
The only downside is sometimes the reactions aren't good,LOL !
Oh well,Take the good with the bad,I guess.

Here are the sideskirts in a dark primer on the ground(without the rear spats)
It is a very slow and tedious challenge,but very rewarding when complete.
Can't wait to get the wheels on there.

Stacy

Attached Images     

Last edited by justatoy; 03-30-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
the second set of sides look much better

Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
dhc
dhc is infamous around these parts
Is this almost done? nice.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by dhc
Is this almost done? nice.
No not yet,I have been extremely busy at work,even doing some night shift !
The curve towards the back of the sideskirt has been toned down as well(gave them little more clearance from the ground),
I got the wheels and put them on and found I need to lower the car another inch or so I bought a set of JIC coil-overs(waiting on them right now).
I also made a huge mistake ordering my tires,I ordered 235/30/20 front(which looks great) on the 8.5" rim,however the back 11" rim streeeetched the rear 295/25/20 to the point I absolutely hate it.Now I am in the market for the 305/25/20 which I should have ordered in the first place.
I also got ticked off at the rear spats and ordered a GT3 rear bumper,especially after seeing it on V35's car.
Anyway,here are a few pics of the wheels and please understand that the colour of these wheels is nothing like this in person.It is so hard to see the true colour of these.

Attached Images     

Last edited by justatoy; 04-09-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 AM
whitecoupe is infamous around these parts
Great work!
I like how your sides flow with both of you front and rear fenders!
Can't wait to see it when its done!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Wow amazing work and skill! The car looks great. Are you going to be sending the side skirt out to make molds and possibly make them available to fellow owners?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by M32911S
Wow amazing work and skill! The car looks great. Are you going to be sending the side skirt out to make molds and possibly make them available to fellow owners?
LOL,I did this with the NSX and it came back to bite me in the.... !
Some guy was going to copy them.I ended up squashing that by getting the same shop that he was going to use,make them for me.Problem was it is a hard thing to police when royalties are involved and when it is not even in your country.Nothing worse than thinking you are not getting a fair shake !
I did end up selling the NSX plugs to a good shop,but definately not for enough money,cause they sold alot of sets.
However,
I would be willing to sell the 997 plugs to a reputable shop and only a reputable shop.This way you know that the 997 community would be taken care of !
If not I may end up owning a one-off set,which was my intentions with the NSX as well.We will see !
But again thanks for the compliments !

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 04-14-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Looks great Stacy, I hope I get to see them in person.

Ed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wheels and bodykit