997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

About to buy my first P car. cayman S or regular 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
I would buy used in either case. Find yourself a nice year used 997 or a Cayman S. The cayman S handles better than the 997 plain and simple. But the 997 is a 911...need I say more. I would go with the 997. I was faced with the same decision as you back in Sept and chose the 997 (S model)...I have never looked back as it was for sure the correct decision imho.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:34 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Andre5
2nd that. I really like the handling of the Cayman S. But in the end, I too would always be wondering about the 997S. Instead of a new '06 Cayman S, I chose a CPO '06 997S.

Good luck with your search.
I agree with Andre, if you can get a CPO 997C2S you will be very happy. The Cayman is a very nice car, but it is not a Carrera. The S Package on the Carrera has too many extra's over the non S that makes it a great deal.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely 997. Cayman S is not a good buy. Boxster S costs less, same horsepower and convertible top.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
No offense intended but I always find these kinds of internet post curious.

Why not just drive both and buy the one you like best. Why would any of our opininos matter in the least?

Both choices are excellent choices and both cars are phenominal sports cars. Buy the one that you like the best and forget what the rest of us think/say.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts
If your going to stick to the street I would go base 997... however if for one minute you think you might get into the track scene I would go Cayman S and never look back...

Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
nr_carrera is infamous around these parts
Both car are excellent car. In my case, I bought the 997 C2 because I have 2 kids, since the Cayman S is a 2 seater. You will be happy with either car.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
997 all the way. then get bilsteins.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GCB
Since you have both 997 and 987... can you please give some more of your opinions pro's/con's of the two. I'm deciding between a 2008 Boxster S or possibly a '05 or '06 997 (maybe S). I'm thinking the 997 would be a bigger/better car in many ways...but since you have & drive both.... what are your opinions. The Boxster S has the handling, convertible top, maybe better "fun" factor?
whats your thoughts?

Thank you....
My vote goes the the 997S . I feel that even though it's more expensive than a Cayman or a Boxter it offers a tremendous value , holds resale failr well, and is an absolute blast to drive . The problem you may find is that the used cars cost pretty close to a new one but you may check the for sale section on 6speed . At least there you do have a chance to talk about a used car with the actual owner which I think is a good thing .

As for new --discounts can be found . Yanno -- I see two posters on this thread in the same dilema where both want to buy cars . If you both walked into the same dealership together I can't imagine them seeing you walk out without a screaming deal .

I bought two 997S cars before my current Turbo . One was a launch car and got 3K off and the other I got 9K off MSRP . Some have bought leftover cars for even better discounts . It all depends on the the dealership, their inventory and their sentiment .

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Nugget is infamous around these parts
I faced this same dilemma (well, Boxster vs C2S Cab) and posted my thoughts over on rennteam:

Our helpful salesman queued up a 911 and a Boxster so I could drive them back to back to really get a feel for the difference between the cars. I'd driven the 987 before, but my last 911 drive was in a 996. It was the first time I drove a 997. All told we spent about two hours between the two cars. The Boxster was as I remembered -- immediately comfortable and familiar. It was like putting on a tailored shirt. The Boxster just goes where you tell it and I always feel like the car makes me a better driver than I really am. It's quite a gratifying driving experience.

The 911 was a different experience altogether. It didn't immediately feel comfortable, or confidence-inspiring. I didn't feel like the car was helping me to be a better driver. But there was something there...

There's this one road near my house (Old Spicewood North of Mopac, if you're an Austinite). On this one road there's this one corner going up a little hill. I love that corner. After five years of driving the ///M Roadster and I are familiar like an old married couple, particularly on that road in that corner. Just the right turn in point with just the right blip of the throttle and the rear suspension of the ///M settles just perfectly into that corner and the car just hunkers down. When I nail that corner just right the car plants itself perfectly for a surge of acceleration so that coming out of that corner I can really punch it into the straight. It's the greatest feeling in the world.

So there we were, driving through just a random residential neighborhood around just a random, boring, and flat corner. And what the hell if I didn't get that same sort of "planted" feel from the back end of the 911. I wasn't even really pushing it and the car sort of gave me a nudge and let me know that whenever I was ready it was just waiting for me to catch up. It was right then that I totally "got it."

That test drive was on Saturday. By Monday I couldn't live with the idea of not driving one. I wrote the cheque on Tuesday.
They're both tremendous cars, and there really isn't a 'right' answer here. I think the only sane approach is to work out a good test drive in both cars and the question will answer itself one way or another.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
ModHog is infamous around these parts
DD and over 6'. Go with the Carrera.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Our helpful salesman queued up a 911 and a Boxster so I could drive them back to back to really get a feel for the difference between the cars. I'd driven the 987 before, but my last 911 drive was in a 996. It was the first time I drove a 997. All told we spent about two hours between the two cars. The Boxster was as I remembered -- immediately comfortable and familiar. It was like putting on a tailored shirt. The Boxster just goes where you tell it and I always feel like the car makes me a better driver than I really am. It's quite a gratifying driving experience.

The 911 was a different experience altogether. It didn't immediately feel comfortable, or confidence-inspiring. I didn't feel like the car was helping me to be a better driver. But there was something there...

There's this one road near my house (Old Spicewood North of Mopac, if you're an Austinite). On this one road there's this one corner going up a little hill. I love that corner. After five years of driving the ///M Roadster and I are familiar like an old married couple, particularly on that road in that corner. Just the right turn in point with just the right blip of the throttle and the rear suspension of the ///M settles just perfectly into that corner and the car just hunkers down. When I nail that corner just right the car plants itself perfectly for a surge of acceleration so that coming out of that corner I can really punch it into the straight. It's the greatest feeling in the world.

So there we were, driving through just a random residential neighborhood around just a random, boring, and flat corner. And what the hell if I didn't get that same sort of "planted" feel from the back end of the 911. I wasn't even really pushing it and the car sort of gave me a nudge and let me know that whenever I was ready it was just waiting for me to catch up. It was right then that I totally "got it."

That test drive was on Saturday. By Monday I couldn't live with the idea of not driving one. I wrote the cheque on Tuesday.
Yep.

I always tend to compare the Boxster(S)/Cayman(S) to a trusty fast pony, it gets us there quick and fun, and will never try to hurt us.

On the other hand, the 911 is like a wide strong studhorse (especially the S/GTs/TT). It kicks and needs to be tamed, but it gives us a big reward once we learn how to domesticate it.

Some days we like to have a joyride on the fast pony, some days we like to go for a thrill on the wild stud...

The best world would be to have both, but to choose one it is really personal. Ride both and feel for ourselves, won't go wrong with either of them.

With best regards,
- Alex.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Sisyphus is infamous around these parts
I'm 6'4" and the Cayman felt very cramped, that's why I went for the 911.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:17 AM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
My vote is for the 997. BTW I have an 07 C2 for sale, email or pm me for details if interested. Thanks and good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by caveatesq
I'm in the same boat. I currently have a Cayman S on order but I am also 6'3" and am having second thoughts because of the lack of space in the Cayman. The 997 seems to have much more legroom and the back seats are a plus with my 2 young boys. I am now seriously considering a lightly optioned 997 C2.
You have a pm. Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM
aparker56 is infamous around these parts
I was in your situation a year ago. I am 6'1 with a 34" inseam and the cayman seemed a little cramped. I ended up getting a good deal on a new Carrera and after 1 year and 8K miles I have no regrets. This car is not my daily driver but I do drive it at least once a week.

Andy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to buy my first P car. cayman S or regular 997