997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I switch to Softronic from GIAC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM
MCLC26 is infamous around these parts
Should I switch to Softronic from GIAC?

I had the GIAC flash done on my car when I got the AWE mufflers and EVO intake installed (but before I had the AWE cats, headers, and IPD plenum installed). Now I'm considering getting the Softronic flash done as I hear that they will program it to incorporate all your mods as well as providing you with the stock map for any warranty concerns. I also see that they are showing greater gains achieved with the Softronic flash vs. the GIAC.

Has anyone done a similar move from GIAC to Softronic? Also, if anyone has done just the Softronic flash, have you seen the gains they claim?

Just want to make sure I'll notice a difference from the GIAC if I do this. If it's just going to be a 'lateral move', then I'll just save my $$. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated...

Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MCLC26
I had the GIAC flash done on my car when I got the AWE mufflers and EVO intake installed (but before I had the AWE cats, headers, and IPD plenum installed). Now I'm considering getting the Softronic flash done as I hear that they will program it to incorporate all your mods as well as providing you with the stock map for any warranty concerns. I also see that they are showing greater gains achieved with the Softronic flash vs. the GIAC.

Has anyone done a similar move from GIAC to Softronic? Also, if anyone has done just the Softronic flash, have you seen the gains they claim?

Just want to make sure I'll notice a difference from the GIAC if I do this. If it's just going to be a 'lateral move', then I'll just save my $$. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated...
I wouldn't worry about returning to stock map for warranty claims - Porsche can tell if the ECU has been flashed even if returned to stock.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:23 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
I highly doubt you will notice the difference

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MCLC26

I am in the exact same position you are... not worried about the warranty though... just want to know if I will see gains moving to softronic after installing evo airbox and IPD plenum???

Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
MCLC26 is infamous around these parts
Not so concerned about the warranty either - my local dealer is very mod friendly and I have had no issues getting repairs done under warranty. Just thought the availability of the stock map from them was a nice 'feature'...

My curiousity lies with the HP/Torque gains from making the switch..GIAC claims a 10-20 HP increase and 10-15 ft-lbs torque increase. Softronic is claiming an increase of 34 HP and 35 ft-lbs - couple that with the ability to tailor the map to the other mods for maybe even more overall performance. Just want to know if anyone has experience with making the switch or how the Softronic 'users' have found it to live up to those claims...

Just itching to make the switch if it makes sense...

Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM
good point... somebody using Softronic pls chime in!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
I have APR tuning and I am very happy with the results.

I doubt any one of these programs is significantly better than the other. JMHO.

How can one be that much better than another? Nothing mechanical changed, their are limits to what can be changed.

It would be really interesting for a magazine to do a shootout but I doubt it will happen.

Like others, their claims HP and TQ are high unless they include all other modifications like airbox and exhausts.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
sshjd is infamous around these parts
Softronic is Scott Slausen's company, or at least his name's on it (as you all probably know, Mr. Slauson writes the Cayman/Boxster protion for Panorama mag). Check the January issue wherein he writes in response to a question about 987 ECU upgrades that they (and, therefore, we) should be sure to buy a re-flash that can be returned to a stock file that is not detectable by PCNA as they are now searching ECUs for modification/re-programming. Now, I have heard it said that once the file has been altered, even a return to the stock file is detectable (see, above.) However, Softronic says that it's software does not leave "footprints," so to speak. You may want to confirm this for yourself. It's an assurance we would all want to have. Would be interested to hear your feedback from the "powers that be" once you check it out, too.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM
SRQ997S is infamous around these parts
I just upgraded my car ( 997 s ) from a GIAC to A SOFTRONIC and i can tell the difference in the way the motor responds thru the all power band, i also have the plenum and the EVO intake and headers.
I need to dyno the car to see whats the new power at the RW, with the old GIAC and no plenum and no headers the dyno showed 298 at the RW , so i will post the new results later on this week.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SRQ997S
I just upgraded my car ( 997 s ) from a GIAC to A SOFTRONIC and i can tell the difference in the way the motor responds thru the all power band, i also have the plenum and the EVO intake and headers.
I need to dyno the car to see whats the new power at the RW, with the old GIAC and no plenum and no headers the dyno showed 298 at the RW , so i will post the new results later on this week.
waiting for the results

Old 02-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
waiting for the results

+1...

Old 02-19-2008, 12:22 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
How much is the softtronic software? Also, are the gains from a flash really noticeable or is it more just one of those might as well do it mods for an increase in the butt dyno?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:14 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Consider Revo

I am thrilled with my Revo flash and OBD programmable switch.

Car runs better on all levels.

I have made my own custom maps for 91 and 93-95 octane that are tweaks of the Revo optimized maps

You can data log in real time with a lap-top strapped in passenger seat (have not tried this yet).

There is valet mode, and ECU disable (anti-theft) as well.

I will eventually file a more detailed report later on...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Have had a few switch to Softronic from other software, and they LOVE me ( it )....
It is undetectable, when returned to stock.
It doesnt switch you off into other parts of the program, as "switching" clearly does. Ever wonder why it has to be done that way? Because it cant be figured out, to make it work any other way? Switching is for bandages, your program is smart enough to adapt, and should be left that way. It is continually optimizing for everything, from poor gas to good mods, ask why they have to incorporate switching and Softronic does not?

Last edited by jayster; 02-25-2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 02-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Marine8541 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dndodd
I have APR tuning and I am very happy with the results.

I doubt any one of these programs is significantly better than the other. JMHO.

How can one be that much better than another? Nothing mechanical changed, their are limits to what can be changed.

It would be really interesting for a magazine to do a shootout but I doubt it will happen.

Like others, their claims HP and TQ are high unless they include all other modifications like airbox and exhausts.
Some are just inherently better than others. Why copy when you make the original.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I switch to Softronic from GIAC?