997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Exhaust Sound Levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
On my previous 997S I did take a test drive with the AWE setup and liked it a lot . I chose the Tubi/F77 because i liked that note .It was quieter than the AWE in comparison .It was still louder than stock though . Good luck .

Old 02-22-2008, 06:19 AM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I have a 997S Coupe with Evo Headers, Mufflers, Intake and AWE Cats. As much as love the sound and the gains from this system it seems as if they are too loud for my needs (my you kids wake up when I leave for work at 5:30AM). I added the Cats after the rest of the system was in place, and really don't want to get rid of them, I thought going back to my PSE system and having a two step system (On/Off switch via Sport Mode) for my Mufflers. Has any one come across this problem and used the PSE to get the sounds lower, or am just going to have to pull the cats off and go with stock cats again?
I put a complete AWE system on my car although I enjoyed the noise for the most part I found it just a little to loud to use as daily driver. So I left the AWE headers and Cats on and put the Stock Muffler back on. I like the difference. Noticeabley more quiet with a different exhaust snarl.

My thoughts after I did this is that PSE would be perfect. When I want noise I would have it.

Long story short I wouldn't hesitate putting your PSE back on the car. It will fit with the other parts just fine.

On another point I am trading my AWE for Remus. Remus is supposed to offer increased flow w/o the noise. I will find out.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M32911S
I have the porsche x51 headers along eithe AWE cats and mufflers. I think the loudness is just about perfect. Sounds aggressive on cold start though. But once the car warms up a bit the idle is pretty quiet imho. Sounds great on WOT.
I agree that the sound is awesome and I don't think it is too loud, it is my wife and kids that it is having the problem with.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that the sound is awesome and I don't think it is too loud, it is my wife and kids that it is having the problem with.
yeah but you have cats too so I don't know if the they make the sound louder. I'm thinking to buy a set if it's going to be louder

Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
yeah but you have cats too so I don't know if the they make the sound louder. I'm thinking to buy a set if it's going to be louder
Cats make it very loud, people have told me that they can hear my car a few blocks away.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by dndodd
I put a complete AWE system on my car although I enjoyed the noise for the most part I found it just a little to loud to use as daily driver. So I left the AWE headers and Cats on and put the Stock Muffler back on. I like the difference. Noticeabley more quiet with a different exhaust snarl.

My thoughts after I did this is that PSE would be perfect. When I want noise I would have it.

Long story short I wouldn't hesitate putting your PSE back on the car. It will fit with the other parts just fine.

On another point I am trading my AWE for Remus. Remus is supposed to offer increased flow w/o the noise. I will find out.
If the full system was a 10 and a stock system was a 1, where would it have dropped with the stock muffler back on?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
---On another point I am trading my AWE for Remus. Remus is supposed to offer increased flow w/o the noise. I will find out.
I was involved with the first US Remus installation on a 360 within the past year. I did the sound pressure level readings.

I was quite pleased with it's overall performance. It was not loud but pleasant, and it had none of the horrible Tubi drone. It was 3-5 dB louder than the OEM, but it was not offensive.

I have heard the Remus with Hyperflow cats on the 360, and that was quite pleasant as well.

While I cannot speak to the Porsche Remus, it may exhibit similar characteristics as the Ferrari model, and you might be pleased.

I would not hesitate to install a Remus on my 360. I just don't have the energy to do so at the moment.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gcalo
I was involved with the first US Remus installation on a 360 within the past year. I did the sound pressure level readings.

I was quite pleased with it's overall performance. It was not loud but pleasant, and it had none of the horrible Tubi drone. It was 3-5 dB louder than the OEM, but it was not offensive.

I have heard the Remus with Hyperflow cats on the 360, and that was quite pleasant as well.

While I cannot speak to the Porsche Remus, it may exhibit similar characteristics as the Ferrari model, and you might be pleased.

I would not hesitate to install a Remus on my 360. I just don't have the energy to do so at the moment.
Did the 3-5 dB result in outside or inside sound?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
daytrader is infamous around these parts
A company built this exhaust cutout/bypass switch for people who want loud on track/street and quiet mode when they come home late at night, hahaha!!!

Here is the link for more info. Enjoy! http://www.dmhperformance.com/

Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by daytrader
A company built this exhaust cutout/bypass switch for people who want loud on track/street and quiet mode when they come home late at night, hahaha!!!

Here is the link for more info. Enjoy! http://www.dmhperformance.com/
Kind of supports my theory that switching to the PSE muffler and with the aftermarket cats and headers will reduce the sound.

Ed

Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Did the 3-5 dB result in outside or inside sound?
The measurements were taken outside the vehicle.

There was no noticeable increase inside the vehicle.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Michael2364 is infamous around these parts
The pic posted In the begining of the thread are a device called dumpvalves. This is old school street racing gear, or first generation PSE haha. You install them between your headers and exhaust. Pull the cable or flick the switch and a flap blocks off your mufflers and essentially gives you open headers. Had them on my 69 mustang. They work great but they sound like a NHRA National event when you run with them open. Which can be fun.;-)

Old 02-22-2008, 02:22 PM
ttpower is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gcalo
The valve you have shown is similar to that Ferrari, Maserati, and a few others use.

While it may offer some silencing, it will restrict air flow which is counter productive to the equipment you added!

A better way would be to look at something like the Ansa Silverline product tail pipes that have a bit of packing in them. They can alter the resonance characteristics of your muffler. See: http://www.ansaautomotive.com/Silver...ips/index.html

I have a Tubi on my 360 which has an unbearable resonance. I am cutting off the Tubi tips and having welded on one model of these Silverline tips that has some packing within.

That should rid the resonance and tame some of the discomfort. It may work for you at much less cost that what that valve system will run.
Thanks, this may be a good option. I'll look at this.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM

One question - would a stock muffler fit with the Fabspeed system I have now? Now sure what I can mix and match.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by M32911S
I have the porsche x51 headers along eithe AWE cats and mufflers. I think the loudness is just about perfect. Sounds aggressive on cold start though. But once the car warms up a bit the idle is pretty quiet imho. Sounds great on WOT.
The problem of course is that the sound level tolerance is so subjective. Is the AWE definitely much quieter than the fabspeed setup ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Sound Levels