997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Exhaust Sound Levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
Actually I think they were a few dollars more tham oem. Since they are pretty much the same design I choose those over x51 because the finish is nicer. Check Suncoast though.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FASTLANE
Actually I think they were a few dollars more tham oem. Since they are pretty much the same design I choose those over x51 because the finish is nicer. Check Suncoast though.
How is the finish better?

Last edited by NorthVan; 02-25-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 AM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
Only as far as looks, it's polished finish like mufflers and cats.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:51 AM
ttpower is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Not if you use an accurate sound pressure level meter.

Then you know the exact levels for every change or modification.

In 1975 I was the first to work with the CHP to establish noise standards or SPL ratings for accessory exhaust systems.

It's done with the same parameters all the time. No subjectivity. You get accurate answers!
That's a great tip, thanks! How much do sound pressure level meters run? Also, any general tips on what are some of the quietest free flowing exhaust systems on the market for the 996 X50 Turbo? I am hearing good things about the RUF and wanted to get a few opinions. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
What is too loud? Too subjective. My X51 sounds great, but I wouldn't mind it being louder. Maybe a muffler bypass is in my future???!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ttpower
That's a great tip, thanks! How much do sound pressure level meters run? Also, any general tips on what are some of the quietest free flowing exhaust systems on the market for the 996 X50 Turbo? I am hearing good things about the RUF and wanted to get a few opinions. Thanks!
The one I have is made by Bruel & Kjear and it was $3,500.00!

You can buy a suitable one at Radio Shack for under $50.00.

It's not as precise as mine but it will do a fairly decent job. You can then use it to balance your 7.1 audio system as well!

As to the other two questions I'll have to leave that to the wizards here.

However I would definitely suggest you actually hear the muffler you decide upon.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 PM
ttpower is infamous around these parts
The one I have is made by Bruel & Kjear and it was $3,500.00!

You can buy a suitable one at Radio Shack for under $50.00.

It's not as precise as mine but it will do a fairly decent job. You can then use it to balance your 7.1 audio system as well!

As to the other two questions I'll have to leave that to the wizards here.

However I would definitely suggest you actually hear the muffler you decide upon.
Thanks! I am going back to stock for now and will plan to sell my fabspeed. I'll do some research on a quieter system over the next couple of months and then decide what to go with.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I spoke to Mike at AWE, and he felt that changing the mufflers (to stock) would result in a quieter sounding system, however I would loose some power. I am going to borrow a dB meter and will run a test to see what level I am at (using SCCA testing methods), I may change the mufflers back the stock PSE system, and take another reading.

ttpower, you may want to try this same change before you spend a lot of time pulling off the Fabspeed system, I would consider all options.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
---I am going to borrow a dB meter and will run a test to see what level I am at (using SCCA testing methods.
Get a camera stand, etc, and attach the meter to the stand about 18" behind and at a 45 degree angle to either the left or right tip. It should be close to the height of the tips above the ground.

Make sure the engine is up to operating temperatures so the muffler is hot. take a reading at idle, 1,500 RPM, and 2,500 RPM.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Get a camera stand, etc, and attach the meter to the stand about 18" behind and at a 45 degree angle to either the left or right tip. It should be close to the height of the tips above the ground.

Make sure the engine is up to operating temperatures so the muffler is hot. take a reading at idle, 1,500 RPM, and 2,500 RPM.
That positioning will give me a direct at the pipe reading, SCCA is taken from 50 feet away, and under WOT and load (a drive by).

Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 AM
That positioning will give me a direct at the pipe reading, SCCA is taken from 50 feet away, and under WOT and load (a drive by).
That might be an SCCA reading but it's not accurate to determine the SPL at the source.

You can take readings there as well but you'll see probably 5-10 dB differences from the method I suggested.

You may also get influences from other sources at 50'.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
That might be an SCCA reading but it's not accurate to determine the SPL at the source.

You can take readings there as well but you'll see probably 5-10 dB differences from the method I suggested.

You may also get influences from other sources at 50'.
I agree that there will be influences from other sources at 50' away but how many people line on the ground with there ear right beside the muffler?

When I get the meter I will take readings both ways. I am curious how loud it is at the source.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I agree that there will be influences from other sources at 50' away but how many people line on the ground with there ear right beside the muffler?

When I get the meter I will take readings both ways. I am curious how loud it is at the source.
What you say is true, but the most accurate readings are done at about 1/2 meter. With loudspeaker testing it's done at 1 meter (39.37").

So what I stated is for reference as to how the CHP makes its tests.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM
What you say is true, but the most accurate readings are done at about 1/2 meter. With loudspeaker testing it's done at 1 meter (39.37").

So what I stated is for reference as to how the CHP makes its tests.
You sound like you have experience with the CHP, what kind of fine do they have for noise violations?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
You sound like you have experience with the CHP, what kind of fine do they have for noise violations?
I have absolutely no idea, and if a citing officer does not have an SPL meter, how loud is loud? It can not stand up w/o actual proof at the moment the citation was issued, and I doubt anyone has been legitimally fined with a noise violation here in CA.

I do know of a person stopped in Los Gatos CA for what the officer "believed" was a "noisey" muffler on a Challenge Stradale. The claim is absurd, and very easily defensible.

I do not know the full outcome of this situation, because the driver was also cited for 105+, AND he had another speeding violation 2 weeks before!

So while he could easily defeat the "noise" claim he had bigger fish to fry with two speeding tickets= 4 points in CA= no license!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Sound Levels