997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Exhaust Sound Levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Did some tests last night, at the exhaust it was almost 110dB at idle, doing a drive by 50ft away I was at 98 dB at WOT.

Conclusion; my car is fricken loud!

I am going to swap out the mufflers for the PSE mufflers.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
GraSox is infamous around these parts
What would you guys suggest to change first?
I have a non PSE stock 06 997 4S and would like to change the exhaust (sound) What's the cheapest and best?
Thanks!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GraSox
What would you guys suggest to change first?
I have a non PSE stock 06 997 4S and would like to change the exhaust (sound) What's the cheapest and best?
Thanks!
Find some other 997S's with modified exhausts you can hear inside the car and outside to determine what you like.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Did some tests last night, at the exhaust it was almost 110dB at idle, doing a drive by 50ft away I was at 98 dB at WOT.

Conclusion; my car is fricken loud!

I am going to swap out the mufflers for the PSE mufflers.
Full Exhaust Evo Mufflers Headers and AWE Cats
Idle 110dB
WOT drive by at 50ft 98dB

PSE Muffler installed in normal mode (with Evo Headers and AWE Cats)
Idle 85 dB
WOT drive by at 50ft 88dB

PSE Muffler installed unhooked wire to have fully open PSE (with Evo Headers and AWE Cats)
Idle 102 dB
WOT drive by at 50ft 106dB

I am not sure why the Full exhaust dropped at WOT, but needles to say it was too loud. As well the sound on the Full System was a lot deeper growl.

Needless to say the system gives me the best of both worlds and better yet it looks stock from the outside.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
---I am not sure why the Full exhaust dropped at WOT, but needles to say it was too loud.
Probably due to better overall exhaust balance and valve timing.

Get ear plugs. You'll damage your ears.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Probably due to better overall exhaust balance and valve timing.

Get ear plugs. You'll damage your ears.
It is actually not that bad inside the car, Porsche does a good job insulating the car.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
thanks for doing this test...so the PSE in open mode is louder than other mufflers as I thought.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
thanks for doing this test...so the PSE in open mode is louder than other mufflers as I thought.
According to the numbers, yes. Listening to it live it doesn't sound like it, it actually sounds a little quieter. The Evo muffler was deep sounding (more bass) the open PSE seems to hit the higher notes (more treble). I think that the difference between the PSE in normal mode and sport mode is much bigger then the with stock cats and stock heads.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
which sound do you like more with your cats and headers AWE or PSE?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
which sound do you like more with your cats and headers AWE or PSE?
I prefer the Evo mufflers over the PSE, I think the tone sounds stronger, however I needed to find a way to drop the sound levels and this setup does the job very well. My alternative would have been a completely stock system. The next step is to get the car on the dyno and see if all these pieces produce extra power and if so how much.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
I prefer the Evo mufflers over the PSE, I think the tone sounds stronger, however I needed to find a way to drop the sound levels and this setup does the job very well. My alternative would have been a completely stock system. The next step is to get the car on the dyno and see if all these pieces produce extra power and if so how much.
Keep us informed on this. Do you already have a baseline dyno?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by M32911S
Keep us informed on this. Do you already have a baseline dyno?
As a base, a buddy is bringing his 06 C2S, I know that this is not 100% acurate, but it is as close as I can get without taking the system out.