997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Playing DVD's on the PCM Screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
ckombo is infamous around these parts
Playing DVD's on the PCM Screen

Hello,

I have the 997S screen w/out the NAV module. I considered buying the NAV module but realized i really dont need it ever.

But I would like to take advantage of the screen and play DVD's if at all possible.

ANybody know how i can do this?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:08 PM
scuzy is infamous around these parts
you're not going to be able to do that. I am not even sure if the screen is a full blown lcd capable of al lthe colors.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM
SLP
SLP is infamous around these parts
on my m3 i hooked up the nav-tv unit and was able to watch movies through my nav screen. the color isnt as great as a regular screen but it does the trick. some poeple have also installed it so it plays on the color screen within the instrument cluster on cayenne turbos.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
shooterguy is infamous around these parts
I am pretty sure Nav-Tv has a product to make it work. I have seen it in on the Cayenne but not on a 997. Give us an update if you go through with it.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Dominique997SC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ckombo
Hello,

I have the 997S screen w/out the NAV module. I considered buying the NAV module but realized i really dont need it ever.

But I would like to take advantage of the screen and play DVD's if at all possible.

ANybody know how i can do this?
it sounds nice... it's a great feature to show off with to friends and family
it's a good investment if you have to sit in your car and wait from time to time... otherwise, put your money in something you'll enjoy more

a good friend of mine used to have a tv in his car and he was talking about it all the time the first month... after that he told me it wasn't worth the money

but still, everyone is free to choose what he wants to pay for, just wanted to give my opinion

Old 02-22-2008, 04:25 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
nav-tv can do it, but you have to take your unit and ship it to them for Porsche(s).
not worth it since the freaking screen is smaller than a phone screen lol.

i would do it on a luxury car or headrest but on a sports car, naaahhhh. keep ur eyes on the road.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Dominique997SC is infamous around these parts
Talking

Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
i would do it on a luxury car or headrest but on a sports car, naaahhhh. keep ur eyes on the road.
it would be like buying a tiptronic... Porsche is the most refined driving machine ever... why would you allow to let a computer get in between you and the car

no offense for guys driving a tiptronic... not everyone buys a Porsche for pure driving sensation (I really hope I won't get in trouble over this)

but to get back on the subject: I wouldn't think of it as a punishment if they would take out the radio... the boxer engine is the best music you can get... except for the people using the car for daily commutes working quite a distance away from home
same goes for tv or dvd

Last edited by Dominique997SC; 02-22-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM
ckombo is infamous around these parts
I agree, keep ur eyes on the road and enjoy the ride.

But I often drive long distances with passengers, and popping a comedy DVD while we drive would be cool if it was cheap enough. keywords: cheap enough!

We will see, and I will definitely keep you guys posted. Im not really keen on sending away my unit to NAV-TV

Old 02-22-2008, 05:30 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ckombo
I agree, keep ur eyes on the road and enjoy the ride.

But I often drive long distances with passengers, and popping a comedy DVD while we drive would be cool if it was cheap enough. keywords: cheap enough!

We will see, and I will definitely keep you guys posted. Im not really keen on sending away my unit to NAV-TV
cheapest option honestly would be buying a laptop for 500-600$ from dell (bare minimum, no need for fancy software, extra memory, bigger hd etc). and just use it for watching movie. Will beat cost wise all other options.

tip is not for me. but i would be interested in checking out the pdk. i like the dsg in the vw gti...2.0

Raja

Last edited by LIL RAJA; 02-23-2008 at 11:59 AM.