997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Putting alot of miles on car any problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
LABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of light
Chill out mate, most people don't get to where they are without being conscious of how much they spend, regardless of whether it's a luxury item or not.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:06 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
after driving on open canyon roads and open track days it feels like a crime driving my turbo in stop and go traffic. it seems like such a waste to grind up miles on the 405 as you aren't even tapping into a tiny fraction of the capabilities of the vehicle while contemplating your existence on your commute to your daily grind.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:15 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
I have 28,000 miles on a 997S purchased in 8/06. Some minor warranty repairs. The only maintenance issue is tire replacement.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:17 PM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Edgy01
For people driving $100,000 cars I have never seen so many worried about money. You bought it drive it, right? If you're worried about money then never buy a Porsche or virtually ANY car. They always lose value.

Go buy real estate with your money. If you can part with a buck and would like to enjoy driving buy something within your means. If that means buying a used stripped 996 do so.
I'm not worried about resale or depreciation so much, what I don't want to deal with is having a car that falls apart after 50k miles, which has been my experience with the last several German cars I have owned. Why oh why can't they do electronics right?

I'm asking because as I read these forums it seems that most the people on it are using their cars as "weekend" drivers. Guys with 3 year old cars with 10k miles.

Well that wouldn't apply to me. I come from the school of you own it use it. I don't want a garage queen. And also can't afford 4 different exotics, lol.

It's not about affording it, it's about not having to worry about it needing service constantly.

Last edited by VinceV; 03-08-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:18 PM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MichaelL
I have 28,000 miles on a 997S purchased in 8/06. Some minor warranty repairs. The only maintenance issue is tire replacement.
I can completely and expect to live with that.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:02 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Amen Edgy, and it sounds like you have the right attitude Vince. If you're going to spend more than about $40k on a car you should spend as much time as possible in it and enjoy it as much as you can. The idea of "saving" it is just ludicrous to me.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
For people driving $100,000 cars I have never seen so many worried about money. You bought it drive it, right? If you're worried about money then never buy a Porsche or virtually ANY car. They always lose value.

Go buy real estate with your money. If you can part with a buck and would like to enjoy driving buy something within your means. If that means buying a used stripped 996 do so.
It actually costs more to buy a second car and have two cars where both depreciate but one look at the supermarket dings and dents on the daily driver and it's enough to want me to protect the Turbo .

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 AM
ahklein is infamous around these parts
I drive my 05 997s daily and enjoy shifting gears. The tip vs manual is a personal decision. Putting high miles on these cars will be fine. Maintenance costs are reasonable but you'll be amazed what tires will cost. Also, no spare! One flat and you'll be stranded for 1-2 days. I personally love my car, and would not enjoy driving a lesser car for daily commute. These cars are meant to be driven.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 AM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
I bought my 997S last fall with similar use in mind. I drive 20k+ miles per year and use the car as a daily driver in all weather except snow too deep to get through (4" plus). I have winter wheels/tires for the cold season, and clear bra on the front bumper only.

Two data points, but obviously not statistically valid:
1. I bought new because after shopping for several months I got a lower price on a new car and of course no worries about it. I think I'll be about equivalent on depreciation.

2. I have just over 4k miles now (in 3 months and I didn't drive it for most of December because of some title paperwork issues with MI). I have had the brake switch replaced twice because it was giving an ABS/PSM warning and I had an oil and filter change at about 2k miles although its not required. I've used about 1 quart of oil in the entire 4k miles (half before the change and half just today). That's it for maintenance. I average 21.6 MPG with a lot of highway, but also some stop and go especially in bad weather.

My view is that these cars depreciate whether or not you drive them. If I spent the time to do the math properly I'd know exactly how much depreciation is time-based and how much is miles, but my guess is its mostly time. I expect my car will cost me less than $1 per mile in depreciation before I sell it; but I see low mileage cars that clearly have cost up to $3 per mile in depreciation, indicating that time and not miles is the driver.

My bottom line was to get what I wanted (manual, and I'd do it again if I still lived in the LA area), get the clear bra, work a good deal, drive it, take care of it, and don't look back.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:01 PM
scuzy is infamous around these parts
kinda like that nelly fertado song shut up and drive. you'll just enjoy the vehicle.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:18 PM
rah79 is infamous around these parts

+1 sad but true

Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 PM
porsche_phenom is infamous around these parts
I've got 103K on mine and I will drive it into the ground and if I need to buy another engine, then I will. I think it runs better now then it did when I bought it.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porsche_phenom
I've got 103K on mine and I will drive it into the ground and if I need to buy another engine, then I will. I think it runs better now then it did when I bought it.
look what the cat dragged out

Must be the weather

Old 03-10-2008, 06:24 AM
porsche_phenom is infamous around these parts
And Raj, it is still faster than your 911 S, hahaha.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 AM
LeonJr is infamous around these parts
"Well that wouldn't apply to me. I come from the school of you own it use it. I don't want a garage queen. And also can't afford 4 different exotics, lol."

I don't think I would call a 997 an exotic unless of course it where a GT3, or a GT. Either way the carrera is just a dam good sport car, by far the most balanced I have ever owned. As for daily driving, I'm personally not interested in the every day Miami driver cutting me off, nor interested in driving it in morning commute with the endless number of construction vehicles dropping ROCKS on my car.....been there done that, and clear bra will not help. I have a second car that is my weekday and my Pcar for those sunny South Florida days to enjoy....to each his own, I care little what people think!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Putting alot of miles on car any problems?