997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New headers and cats but stock muffler make sense?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mdrums
Usually a long primary will give more power. But if they are to be very effective you will need to change the ECM. That is just the way it is.
I believe you are right on this. Thanks Gerry

Old 03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I don't agree, I think that we need to make compromises and different things work for different peoples needs. 911fun wants a little extra power and some unique sound levels, but doesn't want to be too loud. He is definitely on the right track to achieving his compromise.

There really isn't much room to grow unless one pops in a supercharger or changes the car's internals .

A full bolt on setup like the F77 or AWE is going to pull what 50HP and a nicer midrange with an ECU? An X51 costing thousands may give what 25 HP?

Different strokes I suppose . I don;t see the sense to taking apart some exhaust parts and leaving others to get 10HP but to each his own .

The backpressure and weight of the stock muffler offers a restriction. You feel that it's a "compromise" . We define it differently .

Resale counts too . The person buying a modded car desn't want compromise .
The person buying a "stock only" car doesn't want even one mod .

Old 03-11-2008, 04:57 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
There really isn't much room to grow unless one pops in a supercharger or changes the car's internals .

A full bolt on setup like the F77 or AWE is going to pull what 50HP and a nicer midrange with an ECU? An X51 costing thousands may give what 25 HP?
F77 gives no where near 50hp. I believe a Porsche mag wrote it got 6hp more. If you do headers, 100-200 cell cats, free flow muff's with a programed ECU for your set up i bet truthfully you might see a peak hp increase at a certain rpm of maybe 15hp.

But yeah I totally agree with you on everything else in your post.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
F77 gives no where near 50hp. I believe a Porsche mag wrote it got 6hp more. If you do headers, 100-200 cell cats, free flow muff's with a programed ECU for your set up i bet truthfully you might see a peak hp increase at a certain rpm of maybe 15hp.

But yeah I totally agree with you on everything else in your post.
I had F77 on my last car and it was no way only 15HP . I did the full engine setup . No aerokit though . Perhaps 50 was an overshoot estimate because it felt so much different . Part of the difference was the response upon acceleration .A search on 6speed refers to an article in Excellence as well as an assortment of claims which probably range as greatly as ours .

The main point I feel is the complete a package , minimize the backpressure, open up the intake, and flash the ECU to give the added punch in ordere to enhance the car .

As for loudness --the Tubi's on the normally asiprated car are not too loud. On my Turbo it's a bit different though.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I had F77 on my last car and it was no way only 15HP . I did the full engine setup . No aerokit though . Perhaps 50 was an overshoot estimate because it felt so much different . Part of the difference was the response upon acceleration .A search on 6speed refers to an article in Excellence as well as an assortment of claims which probably range as greatly as ours .

The main point I feel is the complete a package , minimize the backpressure, open up the intake, and flash the ECU to give the added punch in ordere to enhance the car .

As for loudness --the Tubi's on the normally asiprated car are not too loud. On my Turbo it's a bit different though.
Did you dyno the car? Was it more than 15hp? What was it? Curious to your dyno test compared to the magazines test. Thanks, Mike

Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I am going to Dyno my car with the mods listed in my sig, and my friend is going to Dyno is stock 2006 997C2S at the same time. I will post the results when we get them.

I agree with yrralis1, I would be surprised if my gains are only 15hp, as it feels like more. I have done side by side accelerations with my friend and beat him every time, and he is a much better driver then I am.