997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dreaded CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM
HardCore Nice is infamous around these parts
Dreaded CEL

Washed my car and drove it around the block, CEL comes on and car idled very rough. This morning I drove it to Auto Zone for a code read and 3 message's came on.
Cylinder 1 misfire
Cylinder 3 misfire
Multiple cylinder misfire

Ran strong this morning, could it have just been a fluke or cause for concern?
Am I getting a new motor, LOL? How should I reset the CEL?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM
frafoss is infamous around these parts
Disengage the battery for at least 5 min. Then it should disappear, but it may come back if its a problem.

How did Auto Zone manage to read your codes? With PIWIS?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 PM
They had the Durametric Reader. The guy came out, plugged it in, it linked, and gave us the codes. What about the Radio Code, will I have to worry about that?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 PM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
I would get the same thing after having my car washed. I have them put tape over my intake now and no more CEL's....

Old 03-10-2008, 12:14 PM
frafoss is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HardCore Nice
They had the Durametric Reader. The guy came out, plugged it in, it linked, and gave us the codes. What about the Radio Code, will I have to worry about that?
If you mean you preset radios channels, you don't have to worry. They are still there. What you have to do, is to adjust the clock and activate the sunroof and windows so the car can "relearn" its settings.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Will do on the BAT Disconnect, BUT sufinbuddhist I doubt water had gotten into my cylinders, it would have soaked into the filter first.
I have a RSS plenum, GIAC reflash, AWE 200 Cell Cats, AWE Exhaust, and a BMC Filter; is it normal for a misfire on Boxer motors? Any damage to the crankshaft if a misfire did occur? Was the CEL just a precautionary measure telling me misfire is about to happen or did it actually happen? Pre error or Post error messaging on this CEL? It did run rough so maybe the ECU was retarding/advancing the timing to prevent?

Last edited by HardCore Nice; 03-10-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
That CEL are P0300, P0301 and P0303. Bank 2. Your coils probably have tiny cracks on them and water is creating the missfires. Missfires can damage the cats and once you erase the CEL, you 'reset' the sensors and your car start driving fine again. Check your coils.

-joel

Old 03-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Thank you, that has convinced me to drive to the dealer in Orlando. Coil pack problems are serious stuff, had some issue's on a VW R32 prior to the 911.