997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Newbie here needs ideas....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:47 PM
MJS NYC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Nice looking car. Don't get too hung up on making it something it isn't. No matter what you do, there will always be something faster. Enjoy it for what it is.
+1

Get the S when you're ready, then migrate to a Turbo. If you blow your "upgrade nut" all at once you wont appreciate it as much.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:22 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FASTLANE
I bought my 05 carrera non s new. My mods are fabspeed exhaust with suncoast headers short shifter h&r springs and softronic flash. So far I've spent under $10,000 and I'm not looking to start a war but I'm curios to know how my car would stand up against an "s" my car before the flash dynoed at 295 hp at the wheels. It runs strong all the way through the rev range. I think I'm as fast as a carrera s. I would love to meet up with someone to do a friendly run, I'm in north east N.J.
The 997 is a beautiful car . In fact your car looks fantastic . That said, each jump up is small yet significant enough to qualify to note a difference on the dyno, on the track, on the price. When we mod these cars we are striving for small increases as well most of the time unless one completely changes the car (ie supercharger or engine internals) .

Understand that marketing must have also played a role . The 99-01 996 had a 3.4 engine and with the 2002 model they jumped to the 3.6. The 997 was a perfect way of keeping the price the same and offering a better body build and interior yet the larger engine may have priced out buyers . Thus the two tier S and non S was born on the 911 models after its success with Boxters.

If 6speed was a forum where most of the buyers just wanted a fun car then all of the fit the bill --but 6speed tends to focus on developing power too.

I have driven the S , non S , Gt3, and Turbo . I have owned 7 Porsches since 1994 and no matter what engine or biody style --each has given me tremendous happiness . I do feel that one can trade in and out of these cars though too so if his forst post on 6 was revealing some of that sentiment I wanted to open that door too for him yet say welcome at the same time.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
Attachment 64120
Originally Posted by MJS NYC
+1

Get the S when you're ready, then migrate to a Turbo. If you blow your "upgrade nut" all at once you wont appreciate it as much.
I was getting a turbo about a month ago. My plans changed with a little "encouragement" from my wife, so they completely ripped my backyard out a week ago and my pool is currently ripped apart. We are now in the middle of total backyard renovation, I can't wait to see what porsche I could have purchased when this rennovation is over. So for atleast this summer I will toy around with my carrera I really enjoy the car much more since the mods. There's always next year.Name:  DSC_0224.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  207.0 KBhttps://www.6speedonline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64119&stc=1&d=12054548 45

Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 PM
911Rocks is infamous around these parts
Always wanting More!

Hey guys,

It's just the way life goes, always wanting more or better.

I think you did great getting the Carrera for now, think about it you got a Porsche and at ths same time a beautiful pool. I'am sure there alot of guys wishing what you got.

I know sometimes it just never seems enough, I ordered my C4S 08 back in February, I still didn't get it and I'am already thinking about changingparts on it or getting more options added to the car before it rolls out of Germany.

I was thinking of getting either full leather added on or a Porsche Sports Exhaust system.

I think you should just enjoy your beautiful ride and take the future how it comes with your next car.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:55 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
All these comments I find very true myself, and I love my car, bought it new in late 04' and I still get excited every time I get into it.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
sclemmons is infamous around these parts
A wise man told me the base car is a better driver than you are. Better running shoes don't make you a faster runner, and a faster car won't make you a faster driver. Have fun and enjoy it.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=sclemmons;1733869]A wise man told me the base car is a better driver than you are. Better running shoes don't make you a faster runner ....quote]

Confucius say -- You want HP you gotta pay.