997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Newbie here needs ideas....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Talking Newbie here needs ideas....

Hi there,

I just sold my 01 Boxster S and bought a 2005 997. I did not get the S and now feel very inferior to the amount of 997S's out there. Damn you guys make me rethink my purchase now OK so now I need to know what to get for an exhaust under $2500. Should I get the PSE or is there a better aftermarket out there with as good a sound and some performance gains? Also I am considering getting the ECU flash and want to know if the REVO or the GIAC is better.

Thanks for your help!

Jon

Old 03-13-2008, 06:20 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
First -- I did exactly what you did sort of .

I bought a 997S and then wanted the Turbo .I even modded the 997S but the Turbo still lingered .Five momths later .....

I bought the Turbo.I then modded the Turbo and still am .

Before you mod the 997 . The upgrade to the "S" might be the first choice.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts
hopefully you bought a used 997 and can still upgrade to the 997S without much of a loss...

Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 AM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
I bought my 05 carrera non s new. My mods are fabspeed exhaust with suncoast headers short shifter h&r springs and softronic flash. So far I've spent under $10,000 and I'm not looking to start a war but I'm curios to know how my car would stand up against an "s" my car before the flash dynoed at 295 hp at the wheels. It runs strong all the way through the rev range. I think I'm as fast as a carrera s. I would love to meet up with someone to do a friendly run, I'm in north east N.J.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Welcome to the forum!

I think that there are a number of exhaust options, you may have some luck buying a second hand system, check out the classifieds on this forum. You could even put your own post wanting to buy (WTB) a system.

As for chip's they are all about the same, APR, Revo, Giac, etc. Do a search of dealers nearby where you live, that way you could go to them for support. Another mod that some people have, but is a bit controversial as to the gains is a Plenum. Do a search and see what people have to say about them, a lot of sellers are giving money back guarantee's so you can't go wrong trying it.

Have fun modding your car, but watch out it can be an expensive illness.

Ed

PS The S is nicer IMO, but it is not to say that the Carrera is not a great car. Drive the car and enjoy it.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 AM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
Name:  DSC_0206.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  304.5 KBpic of my car

Old 03-13-2008, 08:08 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
agreed.........

This would be awesome comparison... I would love to see myself.

Now with the S you get the brakes and some other nice things so I understand your not making a direct cost comparison but like what your suggesting, just would be great to see....

Originally Posted by FASTLANE
I bought my 05 carrera non s new. My mods are fabspeed exhaust with suncoast headers short shifter h&r springs and softronic flash. So far I've spent under $10,000 and I'm not looking to start a war but I'm curios to know how my car would stand up against an "s" my car before the flash dynoed at 295 hp at the wheels. It runs strong all the way through the rev range. I think I'm as fast as a carrera s. I would love to meet up with someone to do a friendly run, I'm in north east N.J.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Good point about the brakes that I still have stock. Just looking for a friendly comparison I'm curios to see how my base carrera with mods holds up against the "s" I would really like to find a bone stock "s" to run with.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Attachment 64065pic of my car
Nice looking car. Don't get too hung up on making it something it isn't. No matter what you do, there will always be something faster. Enjoy it for what it is.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
Good point about the brakes that I still have stock. Just looking for a friendly comparison I'm curios to see how my base carrera with mods holds up against the "s" I would really like to find a bone stock "s" to run with.
If all pans out, you (and I) may have your wish. I am strongly considering, and hopefully it will go through, purchasing a stock C4S (granted, you are looking for an S, but this oughta do). And I am in your area too Will let you know if the purchase goes through.

Already thinking of mods and exploring opportunities, but first things first, have to get the Beast in my garage before I can un-tame it.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
If all pans out, you (and I) may have your wish. I am strongly considering, and hopefully it will go through, purchasing a stock C4S (granted, you are looking for an S, but this oughta do). And I am in your area too Will let you know if the purchase goes through.

Already thinking of mods and exploring opportunities, but first things first, have to get the Beast in my garage before I can un-tame it.
is this a new car that will need break in or is it already broken in? If you do get the car it would be great to do a run.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by jabed92694
Hi there,

I just sold my 01 Boxster S and bought a 2005 997. I did not get the S and now feel very inferior to the amount of 997S's out there. Damn you guys make me rethink my purchase now OK so now I need to know what to get for an exhaust under $2500. Should I get the PSE or is there a better aftermarket out there with as good a sound and some performance gains? Also I am considering getting the ECU flash and want to know if the REVO or the GIAC is better.

Thanks for your help!

Jon
I love my Fabspeed exhaust and you can get it under 2500 check for sale section. As far as the s envy don't let it bother you, like keninirvine said there is always something faster. By the way I also love my softronic flash.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
is this a new car that will need break in or is it already broken in? If you do get the car it would be great to do a run.
Half half - used car that needs to be broken in In all seriousness, a low mileage C4S that really has not been driven at all in a way it was built for. Owner is a low key middle age guy that bought it for its overall looks and he drove it on Sundays with his youg son in the back seat to the neighboring ice cream parlor I suppose there is no wrong or right way to drive these great cars, you get pleasure no matter where in the RPM range you are. Has the PSE, though the jury is still out whether that adds any HP (some say it does but Porsche never claimed it because they had to go through new EPA tests for such cars).

Old 03-13-2008, 03:58 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jabed92694
Hi there,

Thanks for your help!

Jon
Just do fabspeed exhaust with 200 cell cats. don't do headers or the BS plenum. The 997 will sound great. Install cargraphic springs. Just drive it and have fun. or get an EVO SC

Last edited by lardog; 03-13-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
sshjd is infamous around these parts
Do check out Softronic in addition to GIAC, Revo, APR and any others you are considering. Also do a thread search on re-flash choices. All of the aforementioned flash options have owners on this site who can chime in with their opinions and experiences.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie here needs ideas....