997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Replacing Standard Dash with Full Leather??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Fast997S is infamous around these parts
Replacing Standard Dash with Full Leather??

Well, I have been looking for a nice Grey/Grey Tip S for a while and finally found one. But guess what... no full leather ! Is there anyway to replace the standard non leather dash with a leather one? The dash is the only piece id like. Can't live without that stitching!

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
I share your thoughts, full leather is a must, have it on my current car and hard to imagine life without it. The car I am considering doesn't have it, but has all other options I like, so very much in your predicament. I personally think it will be very cost prohibitive, might be better to go to a custom shop and do your own than by from the dealer. Or look for a totalled 997 at the junk yard (unlikely).

The door panels may be cheaper though, should you find out pricing please keep us posted.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Don't do it . It was discussed more here.(below).... This poster wanted to change his entire interior color .

I am not saying it can't be done . It can . Just easier to buy different car.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=122095

Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
I share your thoughts, full leather is a must, have it on my current car and hard to imagine life without it. The car I am considering doesn't have it, but has all other options I like, so very much in your predicament. I personally think it will be very cost prohibitive, might be better to go to a custom shop and do your own than by from the dealer. Or look for a totalled 997 at the junk yard (unlikely).

The door panels may be cheaper though, should you find out pricing please keep us posted.
I also have it on my current car. I was thinking about calling Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler and see what they have got. Il be sure to let you know!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Don't do it . It was discussed more here.(below).... This poster wanted to change his entire interior color .

I am not saying it can't be done . It can . Just easier to buy different car.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=122095
I don't want to change everything..just the small dash piece that contains stitching on full leather package.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Fast 997S
I am inviting you to the Tx2K8 this thurs, friday and weekend.
Cheers
Robert

Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I misunderstood . One dash piece? If they have to take apart the PCM to get to it --I would ask .

Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fast997S
I don't want to change everything..just the small dash piece that contains stitching on full leather package.
I doubt that the "small dash piece" will seem too small when you price the replacement. I expect it would be very involved and expensive. I agree with others that it might be best to find the car with what you want. Many owners, including myself, buy something, then start wanting to add features their car didn't come with. A few minor items is one thing, but once you start with the larger items, then it is necessary to step back and see whether it would be better to find a car that has everything you want. It just takes patience, but sooner or later it will likely come on the market.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Also, once you start taking dashboard pieces off, putting them back may reveal rattling and other creaking. Opening a can of worms...

Old 03-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
i think it would be a great project to not only replace for a leather stitching dash but also put in the sport chrono option

Old 03-18-2008, 06:28 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
On the show Unique Whips they recover interiors all the time. Give Will Castro a call and see if he can hook you up.
http://www.uniqueautosport.com/uas.html
I am half kidding but I am sure it would be very expensive.
Call this guy and see what he says.
www.928leathershop.com
My friend got some parts covered and the guy did a great job.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
It can be done in the aftermarket easy enough, there is one 997 on here with all kinds of alcantara done and it looks great. In Socal there is stitchcraft for one, Im sure there are others.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:38 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
LOOK at Aaron's v35 dash, it's custom with Alcantra.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
LABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of light
Don't bother with it, too many potential headaches.

There are loads of grey / grey 997's about for sale, even if the one you're looking at is a few grand cheaper, you may aswell spend more to get one with full leather and not have to waste time and worries over having someone start modifying your car.

Josh.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
On the show Unique Whips they recover interiors all the time. Give Will Castro a call and see if he can hook you up.
http://www.uniqueautosport.com/uas.html
I am half kidding but I am sure it would be very expensive.
Bit of off topic, but don't get me started on Unique Whips. Almost shameful how Nascar Channel (or was it still formally called Speed) devotes so much air time and calls a shop a 'tuner' that only installs blingy 21+ chrome rims for NFL linebackers/NBA power forwards, while mounting subpar audio componentry in Chrysler 300s...

When was the last time they actually opened a car hood in their show, or god forbid fine tune a car on a dyno with some REAL mods...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing Standard Dash with Full Leather??