997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CPO of non-dealer sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
CPO of non-dealer sale

I know some people have been able to arrange to have a private sale car processed through a Porsche dealer in order to obtain a CPO. Is this usually an option, or is it an exception with some dealers? I think I've read that some dealers will do it, and typically charge $1000 or so for doing the transaction and providing the CPO coverage. Is it up to each dealer, or do most of them oblige (for a CPO-worthy car obviously)?
I've seen some cars listed by non-Porsche dealers and private parties, and would like to know if it is realistic to expect most Porsche dealers to provide the CPO on these cars for a reasonable fee.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:36 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I am interested in this as well. I am looking to buy from a used car dealer and they told me I would have to speak to the Porsche dealer about getting it CPO'd.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 AM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
+1 on needing CPO info!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:49 AM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
we all in socal... i hope we're not all looking at the same car... =)

actually, i think ur looking for an S, right ken?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
I'm interested to find this out as well...

Old 03-21-2008, 09:34 AM
mkk62 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

i recently bought last year a 2005 997s loaded with every option

found it on yahoo and had a friend check out the car in pittsburgh...i am in FL

also checked with the porsche dealership and the car checked out only driven on good weather with 4500 miles...

the seller was getting a gt3 rs so i was able to have him trade in the car for the amt i would buy it from him so he got the tax advantage and the dealership added 2K for the cpo....they apparently have to have a recent brake fluid change, oil change and inspected for cpo...

had it for a year and no probs...

so if the porsche dealership is willing to take the car from the seller and cpo it and sell it to you it should work....2000$ is probably average 1k would be great...

Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mkk62
so if the porsche dealership is willing to take the car from the seller and cpo it and sell it to you it should work....2000$ is probably average 1k would be great...
This is the arrangement I've heard about. I think I've also heard that some dealers have only charged $1000, but even $2k isn't bad I guess. My plan was to make a deal with seller for the amount, then arrange with nearest accommodating Porsche dealer to process the sale and pay them their fee for the CPO.
I'm keeping my eyes open for a white or gray low mileage 06 or 07 C2S Cab with PSE, *** and full leather. While away from town last weekend I missed out on a gem that was being sold (and was quickly sold) by my local Fletcher Jones MBZ dealer for what appeared to be at least $5k less than nearest comps on AutoTrader. I don't think they knew the real value. As they say, timing is everything.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 AM
printemps2001 is infamous around these parts
Maybe I don't know the difference, but what is the difference between doing this transaction and just buying an after-market extended warranty?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 AM
JimRe is infamous around these parts
I am also in the market for a C2S coupe and also want a CPO when I purchase it. My experience with dealers on getting them to buy/sell me the vehicle so as to put a CPO warrenty has been good. Unfortunately my dealing with the private owners on price has not been so good.

A Dallas dealer and also a Central Florida dealer were both willing to provide a CPO as part of the transaction for $1500 plus whatever parts cost the inspection revealed. Both transactions would have worked the same way; i.e., the seller and I agree on the price. He takes it to the dealer who CPO's it and sells it to me for the agreed price plus CPO cost. The dealer gives the seller a check for the agreed price.... simple process with the added advantage that the seller doesn't have to worry about getting a bad check from me and the buy is assurred the car has not been abused/damaged due to the inspection done as part of the CPO inspection.

If purchasing out of your area I suggest you have the seller check with his area Porsche dealer on doing the CPO as he will likely have more influence with the dealer due to his prior purchase(s).

Jim

Old 03-22-2008, 08:22 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
So if you buy from a used car dealer and not a private seller who is the original owner it is basically impossible to CPO the car?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
JimRe is infamous around these parts
///MJFDDS,
I think your used car dealer gave you straight info when he said you would have to speak to the Porsche dealer as there is no reason a Porsche dealer would do a competitor a favor.

Try this, if you have a good relationship with a Porsche dealer try them as they should agree to a buy/sell transaction with you, including the dealer inspection with the CPO if the car passes inspection, to keep a good relationship with you.

If you don't have any such relationship with a Porsche dealer you may have to go to a dealers in your area to find one willing, if you make it worth his while, to enter into a buy/sell relationship so that your purchase can be CPO'd. Good luck.

Jim

Old 03-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by JimRe
///MJFDDS,
I think your used car dealer gave you straight info when he said you would have to speak to the Porsche dealer as there is no reason a Porsche dealer would do a competitor a favor.

Try this, if you have a good relationship with a Porsche dealer try them as they should agree to a buy/sell transaction with you, including the dealer inspection with the CPO if the car passes inspection, to keep a good relationship with you.

If you don't have any such relationship with a Porsche dealer you may have to go to a dealers in your area to find one willing, if you make it worth his while, to enter into a buy/sell relationship so that your purchase can be CPO'd. Good luck.

Jim
I'm in the process of purchasing the car from a used dealer.They took the car to McKenna for a PPI and the car checked out. I wonder if I can call McKenna and get them to possibly CPO the car. The sales guy said that he has a good relationship with an SA over there.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Today I dropped by Newport B Porsche and spoke to the one person I trust there, and he indicated that I could take a purchased car (including my current one) to them and have it CPO'd. He said I wouldn't have to have the seller do the transaction through the dealer. I always thought the CPO had to be done during a sales transaction by the dealer. Has anyone taken their car to a Porsche dealer and had them CPO it for them to extend the warranty 2 years?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 PM
DWN4WVR is infamous around these parts
I actually did this recently and it was very easy. I recently sold my Audi RS6 and I sold it to a private party. He wanted it audi certified so I called my original selling dealer. They told me that they will be happy to do it if he pays for the certification cost plus $500 for handling the process. I took the car in and they essentially "bought" the car from me and turned around and sold it to him for the price I told them. He then financed the car through audi financial at 2.9%. The certification cost $1600 which he payed and the fee to do it was $500 which I paid.

I'm pretty sure they make additional kick backs when he financed the car through them also. Everyone wins.