997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Spacers - pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by snowrider204
I installed H&R 7mm up front and 15mm in the rear. the look great and i can even feel the difference in handling. something that i didn't like was that the front spacers spin freely when the wheels are off. the rear spacers have a hole that aligns with a screw hole in the rotor so that i could lock the spacer in place. the front rotors didn't seem to have any such screw holes. any suggestions on how to lock the front spacers so that they don't spin?
Assuming you're using lug bolts, the front spacers can't spin since 5 lug bolts go through the spacer into the hub.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:02 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Some manufacturers do include longer hardware than needed, so it MAY be possible to add a 3-5mm without adding new hardware. Obviously getting proper thread engaement is the critical factor. But you HAVE to take the time to find out. Being passed on the highway by one of your own wheels because you got lazy is certainly not a good day.

From our website: Bolt/nut size, recommended torque range, minimum number of turns needed.

12 x 1.5 mm: 70 - 80 ft. lbs, 6.5 turns
12 x 1.25 mm 70 - 80 ft. lbs, 8 turns
14 x 1.5 mm 85 - 90 ft. lbs, 7.5 turns
14 x 1.25 mm 85 - 90 ft. lbs, 9 turns
7/16 in. 70 - 80 ft. lbs, 9 turns
1/2 in. 75 - 85 ft. lbs, 8 turns
9/16 in. 135 - 145 ft. lbs, 8 turns
Damon - thanks for the turn info. Your torque ranges are lower than Porsche's recommendation of 96 ft lbs (I think I remember this correctly) - any reason? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:47 PM
snowrider204 is infamous around these parts
yeah. i know that when the lug bolts are bolted, the spacers don't turn. but when removing wheels, i have to line up the spacers on front when i mount the wheel. the front spacers don't fasten to the front rotors. my rear spacers fasten with a screw to the rotors so that they don't spin when mounting the wheels. so, my orginal question was -- is there a way to fasten the front spacers to the rotor?

Old 03-21-2008, 01:31 PM
yeah. i know that when the lug bolts are bolted, the spacers don't turn. but when removing wheels, i have to line up the spacers on front when i mount the wheel. the front spacers don't fasten to the front rotors. my rear spacers fasten with a screw to the rotors so that they don't spin when mounting the wheels. so, my orginal question was -- is there a way to fasten the front spacers to the rotor?
Find a machine shop to drill a hole for you or you could use the mounting tool (not sure if that's the correct name). It saves a lot of time when lining up everything for mounting and helps prevent banging the rotors. It's a 6 inch aluminum rod that threads into one of the lug holes and you then slide the wheel over it. Since it would also go through the spacer, the spacer wouldn't spin. I think you can find a picture of it in the owner's manual. Less than $10 from a Porsche dealer or more for a brass one from www.boothedesign.com.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:11 PM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
to quote dr. ferdinand:

"2. eliminates the drag racer boy look of the staggered fitment"

lol... i suppose.... well, there are a lot of drag racer boy p-cars, f-cars, etc but to each his own...

some manufacturers are actually going with the staggered setup now as a default (i.e. mercedes)... personally i think running the same with tires on a p-car would look like ***... (imagine 295's on the front)

Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akim47
to quote dr. ferdinand:

lol... i suppose.... well, there are a lot of drag racer boy p-cars, f-cars, etc but to each his own...

some manufacturers are actually going with the staggered setup now as a default (i.e. mercedes)... personally i think running the same with tires on a p-car would look like ***... (imagine 295's on the front)
That would be great as long as the rear tires were 355!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by akim47
to quote dr. ferdinand:

I meant it more like a real drag racer from an episode of Pinks with front tires that look like spares

On the M5, the rear rim looks different from the front because it has a 2 inch lip. On the Porsche (and most other staggered fitments) esthetically the rims look the same when viewed frontally, so one can't destinguish if they are 9 or 11 inches deep...

I forgot another positive, for me at least. Steering is a bit heavier, as can be expected due to the slighter heavier wheel/tire and wider patch hitting the road. I personally don't mind, one thing I hate is too light of a steering feedback.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
When using wheel spacers, it is important to have the bolts torqued correctly. The wheel is fastened to the hub by two mechanisms, direct shear force in the body of the bolt and friction between the mounting surfaces of the wheel and hub. Loose bolts do not generate the proper clamping force and leave only the bolt to secure the wheel. The long bolts are subject to fatigue stresses from higher bending moments and can crack. This can also happen with standard length bolts that are not tightened properly.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Here's what I was referring to in an earlier post. The "assemby aid" used to be part of the tool kit but you can buy from your dealer for $10 or so. I use two. Not only will this tool help keep you from banging the rotors, it will also keep the spacer from moving while you mount the wheels. I've attached a picture that shows what it looks like with a spacer. Good luck.

Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wheel Assembly Aid.pdf (39.9 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by jhbrennan; 03-25-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Here's what I was referring to in an earlier post. The "assemby aid" used to be part of the tool kit but you can buy from your dealer for $10 or so. I use two. Not only will this tool help keep you from banging the rotors, it will also keep the spacer from moving while you mount the wheels. I've attached a picture that shows what it looks like with a spacer. Good luck.
I second that. This tool is worth way more than the $10 the dealer charges (as the BK commecial says, you get your burgers worth ). On my BMW, I was missing half the tools from the facotry tool box tucked in the trunk lid and was really wondering if I should go ahead and buy this piece to complete the full inventory. So glad I did, because it has proved very valuable as I have spacers on my front wheels and it makes for a very quick install. Without them it would be a PITA. Definitely worth it!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I bought one, it makes changing the wheels very easy and fast.

It is called a Wheel Mounting Guide Bolt, Porsche Part Number 99957107430. I paid about $10 for this, can be purchased at an Porsche Dealer.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I bought one, it makes changing the wheels very easy and fast.

It is called a Wheel Mounting Guide Bolt, Porsche Part Number 99957107430. I paid about $10 for this, can be purchased at an Porsche Dealer.
Thanks for posting the part number - saved me looking through a lot of old invoices. Buy two if you have PCCB's.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for posting the part number - saved me looking through a lot of old invoices. Buy two if you have PCCB's.
Why two for PCCB's, are you afraid of hitting the rotor with the wheel? or is some other reason?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Why two for PCCB's, are you afraid of hitting the rotor with the wheel? or is some other reason?
To keep from hitting that expensive ceramic rotor. Manual recommends two also.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Jake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the rough
Seriously guys....is any spacer under 5mm worth installing? Can you really notice the difference in looks and performance. Thats the width of 3 quarters stacked together...LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spacers - pros and cons?