997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Just ordered some X-51 parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SRQ997S
i don't want disappoint anyone here but i have a 2007 997 s with headers, milltek mufflers softronics plenum and air intake and i have just put it on the dyno last week and all we got was ..........293hp at the rear wheels, so i dont know how you guys up there get 380 or 400 at rw.
please let me know how you get more power.
andre
400 at the crank is possible. My number was at the crank.

But whose dyno is correct! Everything I have heard about dynos is they can be as accurate as a Rain stick.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by 500
Interesting...

Here's what I've previously read:
  • New cylinder heads with flow optimized intake and exhaust ports
  • Exhaust ports and exhaust valves with larger cross section and stronger exhaust valve springs
  • New exhaust manifolds/headers with larger cross section and optimized flow behavior. New cast aluminum intake manifolds (Plenum) with modified cross section.
  • New larger throttle body. (Previously 76mm on the 3.8, now 82mm)
  • The 'X51 Kit' for the 911 also includes a new carbon fiber air cleaner housing with dual intake ports.
  • Modified DME/ECU maps.
  • Increased engine RPM limit.
If this is accurate, it appears the exhaust valves and ports are also larger than stock and the DME/ECU is remapped to better utilize all the changes.

I've also read that the camshafts have more aggressive profiles...perhaps it was for the Club Coupe???I'll try to remember where I saw it and dig it up.
Looking at the Parts catalog online I see no different designations for X-51 versus Stock valve springs or valves.

If this is correct all Porsche did is port and polish the head.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by StrtSwpr996
Has anyone put after market cams on there 997s, I wonder why this isnt a popular mod, besides for being a bit pricy.
There is no cams that I am aware of for the 3.8L, there are cams available for the 3.6L from Schrick. Schrik supposedly suppose to have some cams coming out soon. Contact FVD...they have the skinny on this.

Dave

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dndodd
Looking at the Parts catalog online I see no different designations for X-51 versus Stock valve springs or valves.

If this is correct all Porsche did is port and polish the head.
The X51 head comes complete with the stiffer exhaust valve spring already installed on the head, hence no part number for it as the head is completely assembled when you get the kit. The valves are the same though.

Dave

Old 03-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Doc997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by StrtSwpr996
From what ive read on the forums, a X-51 997S dynos at around 320-330 whp, so im hoping to be around that.
Also thinking of X-51 headers. Do you notice much with GIAC?

Good luck

Old 03-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Doc997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dndodd
400 at the crank is possible. My number was at the crank.

But whose dyno is correct! Everything I have heard about dynos is they can be as accurate as a Rain stick.
You broke my heart but I admite your honesty. Do you think CATS might release some of that power? Why didn't you swap those?

Old 03-23-2008, 04:09 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
The reasons that cams aren't a popular quick modification are:

1) Cost
2) Time and special tools required to install
3) The need for a complete re-map - different cams totally change the ignition and fuelling requirements of an engine
4) New matching maps are rarely (if ever) available and any additional mods would make them redundant anyway
5) Driveability - cams tend to move the torque band further up the rev range
6) Given 5) above, the other mods to the engine (valves, heads, valve springs, cam followers etc.) to allow it to rev further safely
7) Different exhaust header requirements to match the new exhaust gas dynamics and altered peak torque and power points
8) Same for the inlet side of things

It's all rather more complex than just swapping cams! Have a look at 9ff in Germany, they offer crated engines with heads, valves, springs, etc. etc. (together with matching maps) up to 4.2 litres and 420BHP for the 997S.

Ian

Old 03-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SRQ997S
i don't want disappoint anyone here but i have a 2007 997 s with headers, milltek mufflers softronics plenum and air intake and i have just put it on the dyno last week and all we got was ..........293hp at the rear wheels, so i dont know how you guys up there get 380 or 400 at rw.
please let me know how you get more power.
andre
Andre

There can be so many reasons for the disappointing result. One, as others have said is simply that the dyno was reading low - very uinrelaible devices in the wrong hands!

More likely is that the intake air temps and engine cooling temps weren't kept either properly monitored or controlled. Cooling flow over a car on a dyno is only a fraction of what the car gets on the road, no matter how many fans are used. Let these temps rise at all and the DME will immediately richen-up the mixture and pull timing to protect the engine. Result? Lots less power than you expect.

This article from Dinan (althought it refers to BMW) is definitive on this subject and applies equally to most modern cars.

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technia...ern-bmw-engine

Ian

Old 03-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Doc997
You broke my heart but I admite your honesty. Do you think CATS might release some of that power? Why didn't you swap those?
Yes. Cats add HP they are probably the most restrictive part of the exhaust. I have AWE Headers and Cats with the stock muffler. I had the AWE Mufflers on but they were too loud for my tastes. With my set up I can listen to the stereo and still hear the engine.

Going under a bridge or through a tunnel at WOT is pure music with the windows down.

Last edited by dndodd; 03-23-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:11 PM
dduncan is infamous around these parts
StrtSwpr996, how much have you spent , all together so far including the X51 Intake manifold?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
DME/ECU Remapping

I'm wondering since Porsche remaps the DME/ECU for the X51 engines if it is to work in conjunction with the X51 parts or a seperate performnace improvement all together or perhaps both?

It would seem to me if you are significantly changing the amount of air, fuel and or exhaust flow the DME/ECU should be remapped to be take advantage of the changes/enhancements.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by 500
I'm wondering since Porsche remaps the DME/ECU for the X51 engines if it is to work in conjunction with the X51 parts or a seperate performnace improvement all together or perhaps both?

It would seem to me if you are significantly changing the amount of air, fuel and or exhaust flow the DME/ECU should be remapped to be take advantage of the changes/enhancements.
That's fundamentally why it's re-mapped, yes. If you change the volume of mixture being burnt in the combustion chamber at a specific point in the engine's load/rpm range, the time for it to burn changes and the ignition timing needs to be altered to suit. An easy example of this is a car needing much more timing at part throttle for any given rpm than full throttle. The smaller, less-dense charge burns slower so must be ignited sooner to give best effect.

Other things in the remap are an increased rev limiter and doubtless some changes to the throttle map to work optimally with the bigger throttle plate.

Ian

Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
That's fundamentally why it's re-mapped, yes. If you change the volume of mixture being burnt in the combustion chamber at a specific point in the engine's load/rpm range, the time for it to burn changes and the ignition timing needs to be altered to suit. An easy example of this is a car needing much more timing at part throttle for any given rpm than full throttle. The smaller, less-dense charge burns slower so must be ignited sooner to give best effect.

Other things in the remap are an increased rev limiter and doubtless some changes to the throttle map to work optimally with the bigger throttle plate.

Ian
Thanks for confirming this. I always thought that if I added all the X51 parts without the remap then I probably would not be realizing the full potential of the changes, correct?

Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
Giac

Originally Posted by Doc997
Also thinking of X-51 headers. Do you notice much with GIAC?

Good luck
I am really happy with the GIAC. Im sure none of us can actually feel 10 whp or even 20 whp and dynos are not always acurate so i decided to have a few runs with my friends modded M3. When i say Modded I mean pretty much any NA mod you can do to the car as well as light weight mods and 410 gearing. So we were dead even when I ran him before the GIAC, the next day I went and got it and ran him again... Easilyyyy walked him.. So i know it did something.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 PM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dduncan
StrtSwpr996, how much have you spent , all together so far including the X51 Intake manifold?
Well I havent gotten he X51 intake manifolds yet, I beleive i was told $432 a each? anyway, I think i probably spent around $2500 as far as performance parts goes.. I still plan on getting the x51 intake manifilods though aswell as some highflow cats probably AWE. BUt not really rushing into it just yet, Im thinking about routing a center exhaust GT3 style.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just ordered some X-51 parts