997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PPI - Any formal format/checklist, items I should ask for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
PPI - Any formal format/checklist, items I should ask for?

I am seriously considering a 997 through a private sale, and as such I have asked the owner to schedule a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) at a local dealer. In fact, the car is due for its regular 2-yr maintenance, so the PPI will be done as part of the servicing appointment (I'll pay for the PPI, current owner takes care of the servicing).

For starters, the dealer was surprised that I wanted one, because it is under warranty (in fact extended 6yr CPO), however to me that is almost irrelevant as I want to ensure that the car I am purchasing has no issues and has never been in an unreported accident (CarFax came back clean). As such, is there a specific checklist that the dealer will go through, similar to say the 100-point inspection they perform as part of the CPO? I literally want them to check EVERYTHING, including paint thickness to detect any re-prays, etc., etc.

Is there anything outside their checklist (if applicable) I should specifically ask for? Lastly, is there a specficied price for this service? Seen people causally mentioning $100 or so, but not seen anything definitive.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I had a PPI done on a 997 that I am purchasing. The cost at McKenna Porsche was $290. I don't know if that is overpriced or not. I just got a report back that had everything checked off as passing the inspection except for one of the horns not working. I am working on getting it CPO'd, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen since I purchased form a non porsche dealer

Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
I am seriously considering a 997 through a private sale, and as such I have asked the owner to schedule a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) at a local dealer. In fact, the car is due for its regular 2-yr maintenance, so the PPI will be done as part of the servicing appointment (I'll pay for the PPI, current owner takes care of the servicing).

For starters, the dealer was surprised that I wanted one, because it is under warranty (in fact extended 6yr CPO), however to me that is almost irrelevant as I want to ensure that the car I am purchasing has no issues and has never been in an unreported accident (CarFax came back clean). As such, is there a specific checklist that the dealer will go through, similar to say the 100-point inspection they perform as part of the CPO? I literally want them to check EVERYTHING, including paint thickness to detect any re-prays, etc., etc.

Is there anything outside their checklist (if applicable) I should specifically ask for? Lastly, is there a specficied price for this service? Seen people causally mentioning $100 or so, but not seen anything definitive.
i have gotten this done many times when buying and selling the car as well, just to give the customer peace of mind. I usually picked up tab both times as a due care to the transaction. It is usually 1 hour inspection which runs shop price depending on the shop from 95/hr to 125/hr. A dealer charges 2 hour or so as i have done this on a Benz and I think they did nothing really more than an independent shop.

Good luck on the sale.

Raja

Old 03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Thx for ther feedback guys.

I checked with 2 dealers, the one that will do the actual PPI, as well as another one where I know one of the sales guys. They confirmed that the inspection runs almost 2 hrs (or more like 1 1/2), and it costs a little over $200 after tax, which is along the lines of what Raja said (2 hrs times $95 per hour). Both dealers claimed that the PPI is no different than the inspection they personally would go through before CPO-ing a vehicle.

They will issue a report/checklist as to what the findings are. I am not worried all that much as the car is under warranty, but they confirmed they will check all the panels for paint re-sprays. They were able to pull up the history of prior work performed, there was only one instance. Neither dealer could pull up the specifics of the repair, but indicated the name of the dealership that did the work. A quick call to that dealer revealed it was nothing more than replacing a window control unit (the one that brings the window down 1/2 as the door opens). So far everything has checked out with the car and owner representations have been confirmed. Wish me luck, as I am anxious to join the P-family!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
I am working on getting it CPO'd, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen since I purchased form a non porsche dealer
Search the board, there may be an way around that. In fact, there was a recent thread that seemed to suggest you can have the transaction go through the dealer (you pay dealer, dealer pays seller, you pay dealer 1-2K and he CPOs the car as part of the pass-through).

However, if you bought the car already, not sure if you can go to a dealer and have him CPO it for you. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Dr Ferdinand -
I hope all goes well with the PPI and have enjoyed reading the posts as you've done some extensive homework at making sure your car offers the best value and drive .
Post pics and best wishes with the new car.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Dr Ferdinand -
I hope all goes well with the PPI and have enjoyed reading the posts as you've done some extensive homework at making sure your car offers the best value and drive .
Post pics and best wishes with the new car.
Thanks for the best wishes, yrralis1. I am indeed quite excited, it has been a long but worthwhile process to get to know more and more about these amazing machines, and also ensure this particular car is well worth the effort. Appreciate your input on all my posts!

If all goes according to plan, things should get finalized in a couple of weeks max (busy schedules on both sides). Will take plenty of pics, especially once I get her detailed, it will be her first such TLC

Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Give us more details about the car color etc.
GL with the transaction. I am sure you are very excited.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
Give us more details about the car color etc.
GL with the transaction. I am sure you are very excited.
Thx! Very excited indeed though I am trying to keep my cool as it ain't done until it is really done, a few more details to iron out.

Here are the details on the car:

2006 997 C4S
Black on Black
Options:
• Sport Chrono Package Plus
• Bose High End Sound Package
• Remote 6 CD-Changer
• Power Seat Package
• Heated Seats
• Self Dimming Mirrors
• Rear Window Wiper
• 19’’ Carrera Classic Wheels
• Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
• Black Mats with Porsche Lettering
• Thicker 3 spoke steering wheel
• Instrument Dials in Black

Exclusive Options:
• Porsche Sport Exhaust
• Sport Shifter
• 3M clear bra

The two options that unfortunately don't come on this car that I care most about is extended leather and NAV. I can easily retrofit the latter assuming I can pick up a stock unit from ebay/boarmember cheaply (though often the stock system seems to be thrashed, but I don't like having a third party add-on even if it is that much better). Will be looking to do an i-Pod and Bluetooth integration as my first 'mods', but let's try not to put the cart in front of the horse .

Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Sorry to drag up and old thread but one additional question. During the PPI will there be a computer software check that will determine things such as over-rev's and such? Also, if there are over-rev's, how important/problematic is this? Will the software check be able to determine if the engine was properly broken in (rev's during first few thousand miles, etc.)? Thanks.

js

Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
VERY important: Use a paint meter and make sure the car does NOT have repainted panels! Most dealers have paint meters, however some wont tell you.

I almost purchased a CPO C4S from Napleton Porsche in Chicago that had 4 panels repainted. They just played stupid about it...

Good Luck

Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Vladm,

Thanks for the heads up on checking about repaint. Any thoughts on the computer software check?

js

Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
If you go through and buy the car, I have a spare nav unit for a '4' that I'll gladly part with at a very reasonable price. Unused in box. Long story but I'll fill you in on all of it.
GL with the sale

Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 AM
bga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these parts
When I had my PPI done the dealer ran through the same list they use when they CPO cars. He gave me a copy of this, along with the service history. I think I paid $250 or so.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 AM
rbarrack is infamous around these parts
Interested in getting a PPI as well. Safe to assume these inspections are not guaranteed by the inspector though...anyone else experience that.

as for the paint meter what is the proper numbers one should be looking for?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PPI - Any formal format/checklist, items I should ask for?