997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Audi RS 8 Gets Turbo V10 with 572 bhp...I WANT ONE!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Audi RS 8 Gets Turbo V10 with 572 bhp...I WANT ONE!!!

On sale in 2009.
Audi is not playing “nice” with its two main German rivals anymore. In fact, Ingolstadt is preparing an arsenal so powerful that some may even start accusing Germany of another world war. Of course this is in the motor arena where “wars” are fought in friendly territories like engines and powertrains, race tracks and cup holders. And so it will be when the new R8 V10 – Audi says it can’t be called RS8 because that might confuse it with a high-performance A8 which may or may not happen – debuts with its 5.2-litre V10. Of course we’ve known all along this was the type of equipment to be fitted, but what we initially didn’t realize was that Audi would take the bull by its sharpest thorns and go turbo on us with this! Yep folks, R8 V10 will debut next year with the same firepower handed to the RS 6. In essence we are talking about 572 wild German horses confined only by ten cylinders, translating to a sub 4.0 second time on the 0 – 100km/h flight, with a cruise limiter of 200 mph.

Audi has been denying all of this turbo talk, even when questioned about the test mule that infamously caught fire at Nordscheife last year, saying the engine could easily provide the required horses, but cooling it would be the main bone of contention. Now ladies and gentlemen, that bone has been chewed and spat and V10 twin-turbo is a go. Speaking to Autocar head of Audi powertrain development Wolfgang Hatz said: “The car is now signed off, and will appear during the second quarter of 2009. I can’t say much about it until then. The cooling is no problem now.”

VW Group’s greatest cooling problem on a road car so far has been Bugatti Veyron, but they managed ok there and learnt some cooling lessons along the way. The cooling system has also helped in V12 TDI prototype, a system that provides up to 20 percent more cold air into the radiators and a roof air vent that works with the turbos.

“Why would we spend money developing a whole new engine for this car, when we already have such a good one?”

A wonderful question.

In a separate development it seems the upcoming 2.5-litre 340 bhp TT RS will not be labeled as such. According to our source, only Porsche can use the moniker RS as suffix (one that comes after another word) in the VW Group. Audi can use it, but only as prefix, meaning in front of something else, like RS 6 or RS 4 etc. Wow, family feuds!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Wanna guess the price ? lol .

In all seriousness though I think it will be an amazing car . In fact the current R8 might take a huge depreciation hit.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 PM
The torque must be massive.

I've always been in love with the na R8 but I'm in lust with this.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 500
The torque must be massive.

I've always been in love with the na R8 but I'm in lust with this.
I am biased on Audi . Perhaps it began with the famous "60 Minutes" back in the 80's . I tried to move past it when I liked the shape of the A4 until I drove one . The seats were the second most uncomfortable seats (Volvo was number1) I have ever sat on. Oddly enough Audi has been a common "loaner" car so I have driven a few of them . The S4 had great seats, great sound , but wasn't an E46 M3 and none were Porsche.

So now comes the R8 --beautiful car . Yet it's priced in 997tt land and not even as fast as a C2S , and can;t get around the ring as fast either . It's pretty though . Just not for me.

So now comes the V10 . The R8 already made a nice price bubble so that Audi can charge an infinite amount for the car which ought to have been the launch car.

Audi's main rivalry seems to be BMW on many models and BMW is notorious for catering to attention deficit model revisions . Yet to do this at the 100+ K price range IMO prices a lot of the beauty of of the car unless one simply doesn't care about spending money at all .

It's a shame . I like the V10.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-02-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:24 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
the value and even speed of the r8 aren't too far from its main competitor...the c4s...atleast in V8 form...hell, its only 110 or so msrp and it looks like its 150k...thats more than I can say for the Porsche. As far as capability, ya, the r8 is a bit slower, but honestly, its so much easier to live with (practicality wise) that it definitely shows it dominance over the c4s. Did I mention the supercar looks?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I love the R8. My daily is an S4 and it's been fantastic in every respect other than fuel economy.

Almost 600hp in an R8 would be killer.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by sechsgang
the value and even speed of the r8 aren't too far from its main competitor...the c4s...atleast in V8 form...hell, its only 110 or so msrp and it looks like its 150k...thats more than I can say for the Porsche. As far as capability, ya, the r8 is a bit slower, but honestly, its so much easier to live with (practicality wise) that it definitely shows it dominance over the c4s. Did I mention the supercar looks?

Let's see what the actual sale prices are when they arrive and as they drive off dealership lots after potential markups .

I do feel that the car ought to have been the model's launch car . A nicely equipped R8 costs more than 110 . Now those buyers , some of whom paid markups on the car , get to see this so soon .

I don't even like when BMW does this with 50K 330i bumped to a 335i . To see this new model so soon at this even higher price level is disturbing to me .

My guess is that the current R8 value will go Timberrrrrrrrrr. when the new car is out . That's my guess .

Again let's wait and see/

Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 AM
SiNzz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
My guess is that the current R8 value will go Timberrrrrrrrrr. when the new car is out . That's my guess .

/
I know it's not what most want to hear, but please be true. The R8 is truly my dream car and I would love to be able to pick one up someday in the not too too distant future for a reasonable price. I can't even quite explain why I love this car so much...I guess it just seems as though it "fits" me.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:30 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Let's see what the actual sale prices are when they arrive and as they drive off dealership lots after potential markups .

I do feel that the car ought to have been the model's launch car . A nicely equipped R8 costs more than 110 . Now those buyers , some of whom paid markups on the car , get to see this so soon .

I don't even like when BMW does this with 50K 330i bumped to a 335i . To see this new model so soon at this even higher price level is disturbing to me .

Again let's wait and see/
I've had 3 Audis and have been nothing but pleased with them, but I agree with you, the R8 V8 was/is overpriced. Considering it's the same engine as the RS4, to charge $40k more (not including markups) seems ridiculous, but now that it's obvious people will pay that much and more, Audi brings out the real deal V10TT. I completely agree, this is the car that should have launched initially, but from a business perspective, the way Audi has gone about things has worked out very well for them. Now they can probably get away with listing the V10 at $140-150k which they probably wouldn't have dared do before testing the waters with the V8 engine out of the RS4.

Everyone benefits in the long run, however, once the prices stabilize in a few years as this sets the bar higher for the 998.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Guys...just look at its competitor!!!! The 911 C4s...which is easily 106-115 depending on how it is done up. The only difference is that the R8 looks like a supercar, and the 911 doesnt...and the RS4...so what if they have the same engine? They are completely different cars! I think the r8 will STILL hold. Because the v10 will most likely be atleast 180 MSRP, its fighting on GT2 level grounds. You dont see everyone trading in their 997 GT3s /c4s' for gt2s do you?

Plus, the interior in the r8 is to die for...its simply phenomenal.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Will never pay so much for an Audi.

As bad as it looks, my next performance car to buy is likely the GT-R in V spec. as it will smoke almost all of the current stock sport cars that cost way more.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Will you sell #13?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by sechsgang

Plus, the interior in the r8 is to die for...its simply phenomenal.
No doubt gorgeous! The fit/finish and quality of materials in the R8 (both in and out) are superb.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I am biased on Audi . Perhaps it began with the famous "60 Minutes" back in the 80's . I tried to move past it when I liked the shape of the A4 until I drove one . The seats were the second most uncomfortable seats (Volvo was number1) I have ever sat on. Oddly enough Audi has been a common "loaner" car so I have driven a few of them . The S4 had great seats, great sound , but wasn't an E46 M3 and none were Porsche.

So now comes the R8 --beautiful car . Yet it's priced in 997tt land and not even as fast as a C2S , and can;t get around the ring as fast either . It's pretty though . Just not for me.

So now comes the V10 . The R8 already made a nice price bubble so that Audi can charge an infinite amount for the car which ought to have been the launch car.

Audi's main rivalry seems to be BMW on many models and BMW is notorious for catering to attention deficit model revisions . Yet to do this at the 100+ K price range IMO prices a lot of the beauty of of the car unless one simply doesn't care about spending money at all .

It's a shame . I like the V10.
I think Audi truly got the short end of the stick with that 60 min debacle.

From the numerous tests I've read the R8 is as fast and in some cases faster than the 997 C2S 0-60, 0-100 and in the Q/M. + the fit and finish and quality of materials used in the R8 is something Porsche could truly benefit from.

Would I trade a new 997turbo for the na version? probably not, but for the TTR8 the answer for me would be a resounding yes.

Last edited by 500; 04-03-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
The real question is whether the R8 V10 will beat the GT2 around the Ring.

I think it will be difficult due to the higher weight and softer suspension tuning. But we shall see...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi RS 8 Gets Turbo V10 with 572 bhp...I WANT ONE!!!