997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Just detailed and Clear Bra'd!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Best detailing site is www.autopia.org.

Porsche paint is "soft", meaning it will swirl easily if best practices are not adhered to, but that also means it's easy(er) to correct using the right techniques, tools, and products.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spyder997s
I agree, yrralis1, it is a labor of love. And when it's all done being detailed, it makes it all worth the trouble

I really need to spend more time on the detailing forum. Detailing has its own language, so to speak. What does "wet sanded" mean? Is this similar to clay bar?

I had a black car before, and currently my daily is a black (swirly) Lexus IS From this point on, I plan to practice on my Lexus to see what works and what doesn't. I'll reserve the professional detailing for the Porsche and attempt small touch up details here and there. What do you recommend as far as minor touch ups and dusting?

BTW, I love the way you set up your Turbo. Black 997TT with HRE's is the best combination.
Car looks great Charles...now you have to keep it that way It's actually not all that difficult if you have the right tools and products. Per your request, I'll put something together for you.

As for wet sanding, it should be a last resort. Any detailer that recommends it should have no other choice but to wetsand. The reason wetsanding is not a good idea on a production car is that you're removing valuable clear coat. You may not ever notice the troubles one may run into, but the 2nd or 3rd owner will when he has to repaint his car because of years of detailing and the thinning of the paint due to polishing. Unless the finish on your car is in such bad shape that machine polishing cannot remove the swirls and scratches, wetsanding should be left alone. Also, considering no one ever keeps the car looking the way it does after being wetsanded, what's the point of taking down clear coat for a few weeks' amazing look. I'd rather use a da polisher with the right polish/pad combo, remove the minor swirls and imperfections and hide the larger ones while keeping the integrity of the finish for many other future owners to enjoy. My 2 cents.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 04-13-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:31 PM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
looks great Charles as always

Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
+1 for detailing dynamics in NY!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:24 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
MoeMistry-

I agree that wet sand ought to be a final measure . However a Porsche black car might speed up the process in comparison with other colors or even other black cars . The Porsche black is like no other taht I have seen in terms of softness.

IMO -once every three or four years is not much clear coat removal if the person doing the job is careful .
Keep in mind that the wet sand abrasiveness comes in varied measures of courseness . Some wet sand material is less abrasive than soft fabric.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:58 AM
hugo is infamous around these partshugo is infamous around these parts
this not in a way of criticizing,just my opinion,sports cars and Porsches especially are meant to be driven and driven hard that is, which unavoidably brings the "benefits" of stone chips,windshield chips and general road/air caused wear which need to be treated priodically.
Spotless and mint show case current model Porsches are not what Porsches are all about imo,classic cars are where such qualities are prerequisite

Drive the hell out of these porsches,that's what i say

Last edited by hugo; 04-14-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
fuqin siq bro

Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the compliments guys. Again, I think Premier and Bodystyle did a great job with the clear bra install and detailing.

A few more comments:
-To all, thank you for the detailing tips. I've contacted Moe Mistry (our resident detailing expert), and he has put together a kit for me to use to maintain the finish and clear bra

-Hugo: I completely agree with you about Porsche's being for DRIVING. You should've seen my car before the clear bra and Ruf bumper. The hood and stock front bumper had so many chips, pits, nicks, and scratches! This recent detail plus clear bra cover are "insurance" for my driving habits. The extra protection lets me know that I can enjoy my car without worrying about future damage

Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
ty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to behold
It's about time you got your car back, look very clean. I am so glad this time you pick the right company to takecare of your car, Cecil @ Bodystyle bodyshop & Sammy @ Premier Protective Films Int'l, they just do amazing job.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Whirlinturbin is infamous around these parts
Looks fantastic. No way I'd drive a black car, though. =)