997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

M3 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by emtrey
If you want the ability to walk a C2S from a rolling start, there are lots of cars for that.
I am not knocking the M-3 at all. If I had not decided to streamline my life (sell 2 cars I did not have time for --M-3 and 308) and buy the C2S, I might have been all over the new M-3.

However, the C2s gives me every driving dynamic I could ask for, looks beutiful to me, and fits like a glove. I am never going to challenge an M-3 from a rolling start (or a Z06 for that matter). If you own a 997 Turbo, an F430 etc., someday you will find someone faster. Not really that important in my driving world. I love blasting around in my MCS. Its a quick little car but there are plenty of faster cars in a straight line.

The inevitable comparos of M-3s and 997s will never end. Personally I think they are stupid too as one is a purpose built sports car and one is a highly evolved sedan.
BUT, its also obvious that every M-3 design paramters aims at the Carrera. There will always be M-3 vs Carrera rhetoric.
Great post above. I completely agree with you, but with a few more comments.

While I am thoroughly impressed with the M3's performance and price point, I am also equally disappointed in Porsche's performance when comparing price points.

The e46 was running neck and neck with the current generation Cayman S' and Carrera's. With the e92 M3, this is no longer the case.

Now we have to step up to a GT3 in order to completely beat an M3's performance. Porsche really has their priorities messed up as of late, given the comparisons with the new m3, c63, and GT-R.

The facelift promises nothing in terms of annihilating its competitors, which is very different from the 997's introduction in 2004. Do you guys remember that?

When the 997S first came out, it was the car we'd all been asking for with only a few more horses, but performed over our expectations: low 0-60 times (see R&T 3.9), low quarter mile times, 'Ring lap time close to 8 min (we even got one below!).

They had comparisons with the Corvette c6, and despite being underpowered, it was able to pull away on acceleration tests and lap times! Those were good days for Porsche owners and really brought the magic from the company over to the customers.

So now we have a facelift coming soon. If Porsche does not step up their game against all the competition, I'm afraid this will be my last Porsche. I'd rather send it off to Ruf and do a full Ruf conversion, rather than buy what they are selling.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:23 AM
lilindienplaya is infamous around these parts
save you selfs the hastle and stay away from BMWs, one of my dads friends already had his M3 for a month. He already traded it in for a cls500 he said the M was problematic from day one. starter got hung up, engine went in safe mode= 50% powerloss, and of course check engine light. maybe its just his car, but i cant get the thought of that outta my head. Infact im thinking of leaving the E46 M dream

Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
R1ckyB0bbyyy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lilindienplaya
save you selfs the hastle and stay away from BMWs, one of my dads friends already had his M3 for a month. He already traded it in for a cls500 he said the M was problematic from day one. starter got hung up, engine went in safe mode= 50% powerloss, and of course check engine light. maybe its just his car, but i cant get the thought of that outta my head. Infact im thinking of leaving the E46 M dream
That would be stupid to do. Especially over one persons experience.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 AM
vizman is infamous around these parts
You shouldnt have a problem test driving a C2S, unless your asking for a GT3-RS then I can se why. Ive had similar problems in some dealerships, and in others they have been as nice to let me take the car out on my own with my gf. Champion Porsche rules!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mattwhite
I have a 997S (6 speed) and I'm picking up a new M3 on Saturday with the M-DCT dual clutch manual gearbox (one of the first in the US). I'll post some comparisons next week, but it will be a few weeks before I hit 1,200 miles and can push it past 5,500 rpm (5,500-8,300 is where the real power is ). Also, the original poster's weight figure is slightly off - the car weights about 3,560, not 3,700. Sure, it is slightly heavier than the E46, but most people who have made the switch think it is a significant improvement in almost every area.

I'll continue to enjoy the 997, but I can't fit my road bike in it, hence the need for a daily driver. Plus it is cobalt blue with the factory aerokit, so it is low and draws too much attention for daily use.
Please update this thread in a month....

Old 04-16-2008, 12:25 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
The M problems is not one person experiences.
I heard every single friend who bought a new BMW has these kinds of problems, either become a Lemon or have to go back to the dealer every 2 weeks.
I am scared to buy a new BMW.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM
zuppy51 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cephas
I heard every single friend who bought a new BMW has these kinds of problems, either become a Lemon or have to go back to the dealer every 2 weeks.
IMHO, That's B.S. I have a 2007 335i TT coupe. It's been perfect. It's my 4th 3 series BMW. All have been near perfect cars. Only minor wear and tear has been an issue. Check the resale value of BMW's that kind a says it all....

Now, back to the M3 vs 997 discussion. I have a chipped 335 which is not too much different than a new M3 in terms of power. I like it, it's fun to drive, very sensible, convenient. However, it lacks a certain zeal and right brained desire to control which only a P car can evoke. I've been wanting one for a long time. It's definatley my next car. The M is a nice car, but you will grow tired of it very quickly. I assure you...

Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
pcarr is infamous around these parts
Talking

I will try to help decipher the M3 vs 911 debate. Went to local BMW dealer and test drove M3 coupe today(they have 3 of them, 2 coupes and 1 sedan). It is much heavier car feel than 911. They are two different animals. M3 feels like sport sedan, which it is, firm, solid heavy feel. It almost feel like it needs more hp, due to its weight(3700-3762 lbs). M3 interior is impecable. 911 is more nimble, light and feels more connect to the road. I guess I need one of each to be satisfied!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Bahnstoermer is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the replies - I have read each one

Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Banned
1carnut is infamous around these parts
I have a Super Charged 997S and a moded M6 (575hp), and have been offered a test drive in a M3 by my local dealer. Since I have owned 9 M cars, they want me to try the M3, though they and I know, I have no intention of buying one. I will be curious if I share the same opinion after I drive it.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
It would be best to drive to the BMW dealership in a 100% stock 997 that has about the same # of miles ( pre break in) as the M3 tester and then compare...

Old 04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
colonel is infamous around these parts
I'm sure the new M3 is a great car. I did have a thought about getting the new M3, but then I'm just a sucker for the "Porsche 911" name... Unless I'm adding the M3 to my stable, I would not trade 911 for an M3. It's just an step down for me...

Last edited by colonel; 04-18-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
HardCore Nice is infamous around these parts
+ 1 on the step down. Porsche is a Benchmark in performance. Look at the new GTR, who did they go after in performance?? (But not looks)

Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I went through the M3 vs 911 debate also(w/the last gen m3) and ended up with the 996. I knew if I bought an m3 I would still want a 911.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
mattwhite is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cephas
Hmm. I had my E46 M3 for 6 1/2 years and it was very reliable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 Test Drive