997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

M3 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 AM
PorscheGuy949 is infamous around these parts
drove a new one yesterday, i wasnt impressed.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
my problem is that used m5s are in the low 60s...and many m3s are considerably higher...and because both arent exactly for the track...how could one NOT want the m5?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by zuppy51

Now, back to the M3 vs 997 discussion. I have a chipped 335 which is not too much different than a new M3 in terms of power. I like it, it's fun to drive, very sensible, convenient. However, it lacks a certain zeal and right brained desire to control which only a P car can evoke. I've been wanting one for a long time. It's definatley my next car. The M is a nice car, but you will grow tired of it very quickly. I assure you...
What makes you say that? I just recently purchased my first 997S after about 20 years of longing. I was first worried that after you put something on a pedastal for so long, it won't live up to your expectations. Well, the Carrera lives up to it each time I drive it. There is an immense emotional connection with the car, at least for me.

That being said, I was ready to pull the trigger on the new M3 about a year ago. I was coming from a 330 and other bimmers, so I'm familiar with their brand. I am glad I did not purchase the E92 as I feel that within 6 months, I would be itching to get into a porsche. This sentiment is supported by many posters on this forum as well. I got to drive the M3 yesterday. Unlike most of the other people who have driven this car, I was impressed. I only got to take it to 6500 in a few gears, but the engine had no sign of slowing. It pulled strong from 3K on. It felt stable, it had a back seat, it sounded decent. I actually think it is faster than my 997S. Now, I realize on a porsche forum you'll be hard pressed to find 2 people who would EVER admit that what they have is not the best. It's human nature to defend your decisions, regardless of whether they are right or wrong.

Maybe I'm too new to my car still and maybe I will appreciate it even more when I take it out on the track a few times. But until then, I have to say that 99K for my C2S compared to 70K for a loaded M3 seems strange. Wait till the M3 gets warmed up and Dinan gets their hands on it. Even without that, I think it's faster than a C2S and 30K cheaper.

Side note, can someone explain to me why the F it's acceptable for Porsche to have 40 grand in options? I spent 13K in options and I didn't get many of the remaining options. To me that is absurd.

I know 324234432243 people will respond and say the Porsche is faster on the track. Great. I don't drive for a living, I work for a living. Are people saying to spend 30 grand more to get a car that is better on the track for the 1% of time you spend on a track, if ever?

Once again, I don't regret my decision one bit, but I'd be a lot happier if the C2S came standard with 75% of the options and had about 430 HP with the same weight. It's a porsche for god sakes, it's supposed to set the standard....

I'd like to hear other people's honest opinions and impressions as well.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:34 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
I agree. I think Porsche has been getting a little fat dumb and happy. It annoys me a little when people repeat Porsches tag line of most profitable car company. This profit is due to their customers (us) being willing to pay a premium over other similar performing cars. But if they fall behind in performance, I believe that they will find many current customers switching to other companies products.

I love my Porsche, but have a hard time justifying trading up to a newer model. The delta of performance for dollar spent just isn't there right now. At the current rate of evolution, how much longer will Porsche be the benchmark by which other cars are measured?

I expect and even want Porsche to make a good profit for what they deliver. I also expect them to deliver superior performance and reliability along with exceptional customer service. Based on their profitability no one should be able to out spend Porsche on R&D or reliability testing.

"Porsche There is no substitute" ???

Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 PM
philcr2800 is infamous around these parts
Actually, Porsche extra profitability comes from financial revenue they have derived from their VW stake accumulations and equity options, reassuringly not from a premium we pay when we buy the cars.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by philcr2800
Actually, Porsche extra profitability comes from financial revenue they have derived from their VW stake accumulations and equity options, reassuringly not from a premium we pay when we buy the cars.
ya, we just pay for their bonuses...haha

Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by philcr2800
Are you sure?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-p...0-per-car.html

A new study has found that German sports car maker Porsche earns an incredible average of $28,000 in profit on every vehicle it sells. The figure — printed in Germany's Welt am Sonntag newspaper, citing a study by B&D Forecast — dwarfs the per-car earnings of virtually any other automaker.

Comparatively, luxury and sports car maker BMW makes about $3,200 per car. Audi nets a less impressive $1,580, and Chrysler and Volkswagen earn just $900 and $400, respectively.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:36 AM
erubin is infamous around these parts
I have read similiar financial figuires for Porsche. My understanding is the recent majority stake that Porsche took in volkwagen was made possible by the cash generated from selling cars. Why do you think the boxer and cayman share so many parts with the 911.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 AM
mattwhite is infamous around these parts
I picked up my M3 w/ M-DCT this weekend. For those who are interested, here are my initial thoughts (and some pictures):

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135983

Old 04-22-2008, 11:27 AM
cephas is infamous around these parts
I don't know.
But for me, everytime, I see my 997S cab, i feel happy. I think it looks like a sport car.
I had a M3 before, its nice in everyway, but it doesn't look like a sport car for me and so many 325 328 on the road that you can lease it with 400 per month.... that looks exactly like mine.....