997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

De-Plenum'd my car yesterday - Big Improvement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I still say it is the right hand drive thing, screws up everything

Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dndodd
Same part# made in France.
Thanks David

More and more curious! Two plenums on UK cars that don't fit properly, yet everyone else's does! If it's not the tee piece then maybe it's the inlet runners that are different? Certainly something's not the same. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by Ian_UK1; 04-16-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I still say it is the right hand drive thing, screws up everything
Problem is it looks like you're absolutely right!!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 AM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Is it the correct IPD plenum?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by dndodd
Is it the correct IPD plenum?
I was hoping Greg at RSS could answer that one. It has 996/997 cast in the top. Wonder if there is a specific 997S (as distinct from 997/996) version that is shorter?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I measured mine they are the same.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Mine says 996/997 too.

Last edited by dndodd; 04-16-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 AM
I measured from the edge where the TB connects to the Plenum in the center to the center of the black connector. Aprox 2-1/4".

Old 04-16-2008, 11:15 AM
redduck996 is infamous around these parts
re

someone backed into me 2.5 months ago. Its been in the shop for 2 months all they had to do was replace the fender and front bumper and spray it. Dont ask me why it is taking so long.

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
What happen to your car?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm not sure why we put any credibility into seat of the pants dynos; ie it feels like it lost power after the install.

I would have done a before and after dyno before trashing a sponsor's product.

I have dyno'd the plenum and saw the advertised gains. Frankly, the product works as advertised. I certainly wouldn't expect to feel 10hp on a 350hp car, but the gains are there.

Maybe yours was installed improperly. I'm not sure. Perception is reality, but I wouldn't publicly disparage their product online unless you have more proof than it doesn't feel faster.

P997 had had some weird experiences himself which I can't explain. I've dyno'd all the performance products I've installed and they have all resulted in positive gains.
If you ask 10 plenum owners if it improved performance, 9/10 will give you anecdotal evidence to the positive. When someone provides anecdotal evidence to the negative, what is that immediately thrown under the bus as "disparaging" the product or vendor.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gravedgr
If you ask 10 plenum owners if it improved performance, 9/10 will give you anecdotal evidence to the positive. When someone provides anecdotal evidence to the negative, what is that immediately thrown under the bus as "disparaging" the product or vendor.
Because there is nothing tangible to support the negative claim. The people who develop these products spend a lot of time and money bringing them to market. If you're going to post something incredibly negative, you should be able to substantiate it. Posts like this cost sponsors sales.

FWIW, I don't put much stock in positive claims either. I think "butt dynos" are worthless. All the "improved throttle response" and "faster revs" claims mean nothing without a dyno. I wouldn't buy a product based on manufacturers' claims or butt dynos. Dyno dyno dyno.

I don't think it's possible to actually feel a ten hp performance increase in a 350hp car. It's there, and will translate into measurable performance. Do I think you can feel it? Hell no.

Like I said, I did before and after dynos when I did the plenum install. It made the advertised claims. Could I feel it? No. To say it transforms the car or significantly improves the performance would be exaggerating. I find it entertaining when you read posts about a NA car being much much faster after being chipped. All these little mods on NA cars are fun and help, but let's be realistic about the gains.

If you buy a product and it doesn't work as advertised, post away. It will save us all time and money. However, do a dyno, quarter mile run, or a 60-130 speed test. Anything to substantiate it.

In this case, Ian may have turned away a bunch of customers for IPD without cause. It very well may turn out that the Euro version of the 997 is different from the US and may be the root of the problem. I doubt it , but anything is possible. Maybe it's due to emissions regulations. Who knows?

Personally if the fit appeared to be as bad as he is describing, I would have spent some time researching the fit before jumping to any public conclusions about the performance of the product.

With all that being said, we're one big happy Pcar family and I'll be glad to help Ian however I can to get this straightened out. I found Mike at RSS to be very helpful. If you need me to call him to save on the international tolls I'd be glad to.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
Please see the attached image - the dimension I've shown is approx 1" longer in the plenum than it is in the stock tee on my car.

Edit: And the tee piece on my car looks nothing like the one in the pic. Totally different part.
Ian:

How did you even get it to fit with it being that much larger? Did you have to force it in? I would assume that the intake plumbing would have been difficult with the extension on the aftermarket plenum.

Also, that link I posted was from a London member. Not sure if it's London England though. His seems to fit fine, although it's a 996. It's my understanding that the 996,997, and 997S motors are essentially the same other than minor tweaks and in the case of the the "S", more displacement.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Anybody try measuring the overall picture? I did they are the same.

The distance between the red lines is different but the top picture bottom line is not centered across the center of the Tee.

IAN is this some kind of April Fools joke?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM
I think he is just trying to show where his IPD plenum is longer than the stock one. The pic posted is from another install.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Because there is nothing tangible to support the negative claim. The people who develop these products spend a lot of time and money bringing them to market. If you're going to post something incredibly negative, you should be able to substantiate it. Posts like this cost sponsors sales.

FWIW, I don't put much stock in positive claims either. I think "butt dynos" are worthless. All the "improved throttle response" and "faster revs" claims mean nothing without a dyno. I wouldn't buy a product based on manufacturers' claims or butt dynos. Dyno dyno dyno.

I don't think it's possible to actually feel a ten hp performance increase in a 350hp car. It's there, and will translate into measurable performance. Do I think you can feel it? Hell no.

Like I said, I did before and after dynos when I did the plenum install. It made the advertised claims. Could I feel it? No. To say it transforms the car or significantly improves the performance would be exaggerating. I find it entertaining when you read posts about a NA car being much much faster after being chipped. All these little mods on NA cars are fun and help, but let's be realistic about the gains.

If you buy a product and it doesn't work as advertised, post away. It will save us all time and money. However, do a dyno, quarter mile run, or a 60-130 speed test. Anything to substantiate it.

In this case, Ian may have turned away a bunch of customers for IPD without cause. It very well may turn out that the Euro version of the 997 is different from the US and may be the root of the problem. I doubt it , but anything is possible. Maybe it's due to emissions regulations. Who knows?

Personally if the fit appeared to be as bad as he is describing, I would have spent some time researching the fit before jumping to any public conclusions about the performance of the product.

With all that being said, we're one big happy Pcar family and I'll be glad to help Ian however I can to get this straightened out. I found Mike at RSS to be very helpful. If you need me to call him to save on the international tolls I'd be glad to.
It is easy to make a rechipped car feel faster: just change the throttle tip-in. Since dduncan's posting of results seem to have bogged down let me ask you this: are you saying you witnessed a 10 hp improvement during the installation of your plenum? gerry

Last edited by Gpjli; 04-16-2008 at 09:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: De-Plenum'd my car yesterday - Big Improvement