997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

De-Plenum'd my car yesterday - Big Improvement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Good write up. This was on my to do list but I think i may have to wait for a little more proof. Or I could just say WTF and get one and try it myself. I believe they offer a money back gaurantee, right?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
ive got it on my car, had it on for about 3 weeks. Its effective, not a crazy difference, in fact i dont think any of us can ever really tell what 25 hp feels like in a car unless you are a tuner yourself. To tell u the truth, I am in the auto biz and i fell like logically it should make a difference, and when i installed it i felt a bit of a difference but nothing crazy. If u think its gonna make a jaw dropping difference u are mistaken.

P.S. as for what Ian is saying, there is absolutely no way in hell that taking off the IPD plenum and installing the plastic factory plenum could ever make an improvement. It is physics and its impossible. The IPD plenum does channel the air more efficiently and therefore should improve power, the original does nothing but basically tunnels the air. I think Ian just got fed up and maybe installed it wrong, but thats just my thought

Last edited by dinorocz; 04-15-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:32 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
How could it be installed wrong? My friend and I did one on his 996. Pretty straight forward, as long as you line everything up and don't pinch the rubber things that the hose clamps are on. Or not attach the tb correctly.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I would not run home and remove my plenum based on one unusual report. It does make me wonder what is going on w his particular installation. There was another posting where the guy had to reset his MDE after swapping out intake and exhaust resulted in poor running engine. He did this by disconnecting the negative battery connection for "1/2 day" and then reconnecting it. This reportedly allowed the engine to set up properly and run right. gerry

Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
not surprised. Same experience with giac, evo intake and headers.
Keep the car as is - or save weight via wheels or whatever

You not gonna feel less than 25hp anyway

And the SC route voids warranty and sounds terrible

Want more power? Buy a turbo. That's my next porche(when pdk comes
out)

Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by P997S

Want more power? Buy a turbo. That's my next porche(when pdk comes
out)
I think the SC sounds awesome and def gives the needed horsepower. I think its rated at 120 hp extra, for 10k thats not a bad deal at all. All things considered a turbo is a step up in power but i am not sure i want that all wheel drive feel...my next step would be a gt3

Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I'm not sure why we put any credibility into seat of the pants dynos; ie it feels like it lost power after the install.

I would have done a before and after dyno before trashing a sponsor's product.

I have dyno'd the plenum and saw the advertised gains. Frankly, the product works as advertised. I certainly wouldn't expect to feel 10hp on a 350hp car, but the gains are there.

Maybe yours was installed improperly. I'm not sure. Perception is reality, but I wouldn't publicly disparage their product online unless you have more proof than it doesn't feel faster.

P997 had had some weird experiences himself which I can't explain. I've dyno'd all the performance products I've installed and they have all resulted in positive gains.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:13 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S

We've had this discussion before. You are the exception, not the rule

I have dyno's that prove the headers and plenum work. I've never tried the flash, but I would be willing to wager that gains, albeit small, can be had.

What do you mean by the supercharger sounding terrible? Unless you're referring to the TPC, you can barely hear the EVO unit when stopped and slightly revving it, and it's almost impossible to hear when in motion.

I do agree that you probably won't feel 25hp on a 350hp car. However, when running side by side with comparable vehicles, it will probably be slightly noticeable.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by dinorocz
I think the SC sounds awesome and def gives the needed horsepower. I think its rated at 120 hp extra, for 10k thats not a bad deal at all.
I'm with you. You can spend thousands doing intake, headers, exhaust, flash, etc....

Or you can spend 10K and turn the car into a beast. My car is making around 435 to the wheels. I ran a 997TT recently and it was about even. Not too shabby for a 6 year old porky pig convertible with 19's and subwoofers

Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
We are all waiting the dyno report tomorrow, but I think he implied the results are not that great. We'll see.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Mine made the advertised numbers. And that was without ever even having a chance to run it in and let the ECU adjust. We did the install right on the dyno. Ran it, installed it, and then ran it again. All on a dynapack. Doesn't get much more accurate than that.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
Deputy your car is definitdly fast i enjoyed driving it thanks again. You going this Saturday? I traded my 997s cab in on a cls63. Not as fun as the 911 but i can put my 17 month old in the back. I should be there saturday. Come check it out

Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
We are all waiting the dyno report tomorrow, but I think he implied the results are not that great. We'll see.

I want a refund for time lost reading this.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:08 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deputydog95
.....I would have done a before and after dyno before trashing a sponsor's product.....
I think you need to re-read my post.

I said my situation wasn't typical. I'd also had correspondence with Greg at RSS to make sure my installation was correct. Despite this the car didn't run right. Now, having measured the dimensions of the plenum, it turns out to be the wrong size for my car and I've invited RSS to comment on this. I've also said that I will re-try the plenum once my headers are fitted and if RSS can confirm that it's the correct part. (I don't know how it can be when it's longer than the standard tee).

Please will you explain to me how that is 'trashing a sponsor's product'? 'Giving it every chance to do as claimed' would be closer.

Anyway you'll only ever see/read what you want to see/read. Never let the truth get in the way of a chance to stir things eh?

Ian

Old 04-16-2008, 03:31 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I just gotta say that the SC (EVOMS) does not sound horrible. That's really silly, in all bluntness. Like da dog said, you BARELY hear it, and that's if you're listening for it (other than on a cold morning before it's up to temp).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: De-Plenum'd my car yesterday - Big Improvement