997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

RSS Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
So, no one but me sees the flaw in the PROVEN dyno comparison? It is really quite obvious and proves my point that resetting the ECU is where the majority of power is coming from.
can you give more explanation what resetting the ECU does to the car?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 AM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Where was it factually stated the the ECU was reset when the Plenum was installed for these tests?

It is not part of the instructions nor is it required.

Sounds like another great internet mis-statement of the facts. IMO

Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dndodd
Where was it factually stated the the ECU was reset when the Plenum was installed for these tests?

It is not part of the instructions nor is it required.

Sounds like another great internet mis-statement of the facts. IMO
FWIW, recently it was tested without an ECU reset.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=84433

Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Banned
Robin@Revo is infamous around these parts
For that European Car article, the ECU was not reset after installation of the plenum. And resetting the adaptation on these motors actually HURTS you, and you will pick up HP and torque the more runs you do to LET the ECU adapt. Adaptation is incorporated into Motronic for a reason, to accommodate for different hardware configurations, climatic conditions and load situations.

The "disconnect the battery" trick is a myth.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
dduncan is infamous around these parts
I still can't believe you guys are debating this... I guess Jesus was right, unless you see and touch the wounds yourself, you will all be doubting Thomas's.
I proved to myself with 60 dyno pulls that RSS's claims are very exaggerated. In fact in my car the Plenum feed pipe caused me to loose power in the 5000-6000 range..
I was contacted by RSS Greg thought the site offering me 2500 bucks to redyno my car with his dyno guys. I replied that I would , but only at a dyno guy of my choosing. I never heard from him again..

SNAKE OIL….. it always has its followers.

Last edited by dduncan; 06-18-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Robin@Revo
For that European Car article, the ECU was not reset after installation of the plenum. And resetting the adaptation on these motors actually HURTS you, and you will pick up HP and torque the more runs you do to LET the ECU adapt. Adaptation is incorporated into Motronic for a reason, to accommodate for different hardware configurations, climatic conditions and load situations.

The "disconnect the battery" trick is a myth.

Ok, let's assume your statement is correct. What exactly does the ECU "adapt" to accomidate the intake at WOT? It has already been proven that there is no additional air flow as measured by the MAF, so additional fuel is not needed. Intake temperatures are not changed, so no change in fuel. Engine temperatures are not changed so there is no need to be adapted to.

As far as resetting the ECU and getting new found power....this a fact on most cars that ae driven hard, especially on an engine that runs 91 octane fuel when 93 is needed. On these cars, short of the many cars which are just driven around town for show, will retard the timing and increase fueling because of knock. Resetting the ECU, or driving the car in a mild manner for awhile will put the timing back to where it should be and increase the power of the engine.

IF, as RSS claims, there is more air getting to the cylinders (improved VE) in closed loop, LTFT would increase, which they do not. If the VE improved at WOT (at any RPM range), since there is no increase in fuel to the engine compared to the stock intake, all you are doing is leaning out the engine to get a few more hp.

A stock intake will increase the power of the engine the same amount as the RSS plenum by simply leaning out the engine by installing a resister that costs a few cents. This also has been proven and is practiced by many and is easily proven with or without a properly operated dyno.

It's so funny that engne parameters such as temperature or oil and lube, timing, fuel trim tire pressure, etc, are never monitored during these promotive product tests. Having that information just might not help the marketing hype, I guess.

The results claimed due to the intake change are nothing but voodoo.

Why do so many ignore all the reports here that there is no gain using the intake? Dyno charts that show no gain, personal stories that the car does not perform better, etc. I guess if I spent $1,000 on a paper weight, I would look for confirmation too that I had not been suckered.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 06-18-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned
this a fact on most cars that ae driven hard, especially on an engine that runs 91 octane fuel when 93 is needed. On these cars, short of the many cars which are just driven around town for show, will retard the timing and increase fueling because of knock.
If the engine is running 91 octane when 93 is needed, then resetting the adaptation will let the ECU attempt to run 93 octane timing levels again. Why is this a benefit? The motor will knock, the ECU will enrich the mixture and retard the timing, and you'll be right back to where you started. Modern cars with wideband O2 sensors and advanced knock control don't need to be "fooled".

I was the one on the dyno with this Cayman for this article, and the HP/TQ kept going UP as the car was repeatedly run, back to back with no cooldown. The car is learning the load that the dyno is putting on the car, and is adapting and optimizing its corrections to make more power.

IF, as RSS claims, there is more air getting to the cylinders (improved VE) in closed loop, LTFT would increase, which they do not. If the VE improved at WOT (at any RPM range), since there is no increase in fuel to the engine compared to the stock intake, all you are doing is leaning out the engine to get a few more hp.
Listen to what you're saying... if the VE improves, it is allowing better airflow. Better airflow = higher MAF reading = more fuel. It won't lean out, thats what those wideband sensors on your headers are for

No 2 cars are identical, but I have witnessed this plenum make big power on some cars. Others, not as much. But I have never seen it lose power, on any dyno. I spent a week with that Cayman, drove it sans-plenum and with it installed. Midrange torque is greatly improved with the plenum.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
If the engine is running 91 octane when 93 is needed, then resetting the adaptation will let the ECU attempt to run 93 octane timing levels again. Why is this a benefit? The motor will knock, the ECU will enrich the mixture and retard the timing, and you'll be right back to where you started. Modern cars with wideband O2 sensors and advanced knock control don't need to be "fooled".

I was the one on the dyno with this Cayman for this article, and the HP/TQ kept going UP as the car was repeatedly run, back to back with no cooldown. The car is learning the load that the dyno is putting on the car, and is adapting and optimizing its corrections to make more power.

Listen to what you're saying... if the VE improves, it is allowing better airflow. Better airflow = higher MAF reading = more fuel. It won't lean out, thats what those wideband sensors on your headers are for

No 2 cars are identical, but I have witnessed this plenum make big power on some cars. Others, not as much. But I have never seen it lose power, on any dyno. I spent a week with that Cayman, drove it sans-plenum and with it installed. Midrange torque is greatly improved with the plenum.
You obviously have little knowledge of computer controlled engines. Improving the VE has nothing to do with the amount of airflow to the intake...nothing at all. You can double the amount of air to the intake and still have less VE. "Better" airflow does not mean any additional airflow volume.

A basic understanding of the operatrion of the ECU should be required for all product developers and testers.

Like I said, any rich running engine that is leaned out will produce more power.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 06-18-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned
Yeah, no idea what I'm talking about at all.

You do realize your ECU does NOT run open loop at WOT, right? And you are saying that by increasing the breathing efficiency of the engine, you will NOT see higher MAF readings?

Please educate me as to the operation of Motronic 7.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, no idea what I'm talking about at all.

And you are saying that by increasing the breathing efficiency of the engine, you will NOT see higher MAF readings?

That is not what I am saying, but what physics says. Efficiency is a percentage ratio of how much air in the intake is actually getting to the cylinders. Better check your facts.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Banned
Yet I have countless datalogs from dyno sessions and street tuning that show higher MAF readings due to an intake plenum or exhaust install.

These cars use the MAF to determine load and approximate torque... higher MAF reading = more air in = more power, period. That is what I was getting at.

You have a 1999 Carrera, which DOES use open loop. You cannot compare that DME to a modern Cayman or 997.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Yet I have countless datalogs from dyno sessions and street tuning that show higher MAF readings due to an intake plenum or exhaust install.

These cars use the MAF to determine load and approximate torque... higher MAF reading = more air in = more power, period. That is what I was getting at.

You have a 1999 Carrera, which DOES use open loop. You cannot compare that DME to a modern Cayman or 997.

The underlying fact is...the MAF DOES NOT show an increase in airflow. This has already been proven. So, where is this imaginary increase in air volume coming from?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
FWIW, recently it was tested without an ECU reset.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=84433

The first post on your link clearly states "the CPU was not reset".

Next.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dndodd
The first post on your link clearly states "the CPU was not reset".

Next.
Hey Genius, did you even read what I wrote???? What does "recently it was tested without an ECU reset" mean to you.

Back to grammer school for you..... Perhaps a remedial course...

Next.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
Hey Genius, did you even read what I wrote???? What does "recently it was tested without an ECU reset" mean to you.

Back to grammer school for you..... Perhaps a remedial course...

Next.
LOl. Your right. Guess that Evilyn Would Sped Readin coarse just wadn't wurth the muny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: RSS Plenum