997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

RSS Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by M32911S
A car that makes more mid-range power and torque is going to be faster even if the peak hp is unchanged. That power under the curve, or increased midrange, is going to get you through the powerband faster and your car would be faster. A mod that would, for example, give you a 10hp peak increase but cause you to lose 10hp or torque through a lot of the powerband would be worthless because in the end your car would most likely be slower than what it was to begin with. Understand that peak is not everything.
Amen to that!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Not to sound like an a$$ or anything, but you should do some research by running a few searches. I would be stunned if the results showed an increase of 5-10whp peak or for that matter across the rev range.
I don't understand...I askedif it would be fair to say that 28 peak hp from just the plenum would not be possible... probably a lot less. I also never mentioned whp.

Last edited by 500; 04-17-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
And now we must wait it seems. By the way, a true cynic might wish for this to be done by an independent dyno facility, citing a possible conflict of interest. This is not in any way intended as a slight directed at AWE, just a fact of life.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
A car that makes more mid-range power and torque is going to be faster even if the peak hp is unchanged. That power under the curve, or increased midrange, is going to get you through the powerband faster and your car would be faster. A mod that would, for example, give you a 10hp peak increase but cause you to lose 10hp or torque through a lot of the powerband would be worthless because in the end your car would most likely be slower than what it was to begin with. Understand that peak is not everything.

I wonder how many pepole would have paid for the X51 package if it did not increase the max power from 355 to 382 and only improved the curve/midrange power and max power stayed at 355 ???

Last edited by 500; 04-17-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 500
I wonder how many pepole would have paid for the X51 package if it did not increase the max power from 355 to 382 ???
I think it is more amazing that anyone would pay so much for so little extra peak power!

What X-51 DOES give you is much stronger acceleration right across the rev band. This makes for a significantly faster car and makes the package a sensible purchase. The peak increase is only a tiny part of the story.

Last edited by Ian_UK1; 04-17-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
I think it is more amazing that anyone would pay so much for so little extra peak power!

What X-51 DOES give you is much stronger acceleration right across the rev band. This makes for a significantly faster car and makes the package a sensible purchase. The peak increase is only a tiny part of the story.
Ian that might all be true but at the end of the day if all X51 did was improve power in the midrange and left the max power at 355 I'd venture to say there would be a hell of alot less X51 options being sold.

It's late Ian go to bed

Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
Virtually everyone will trade-off top end power to gain in the mid-range. We're at redline .1% of the time. The 7,200 rpm power numbers are only good for people that write ad copy. Besides the fact that torque (which peaks far below redline) is the real type of power that you feel everyday.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by RickinColorado
Besides the fact that torque (which peaks far below redline) is the real type of power that you feel everyday.
Very true Rick and it's something that I truly miss going from my 911 turbos and recently going from my 06 E55 to the 07997S.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:34 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Wow, I go and spend a penny, and all hell breaks loose!

I can't wait to see the activity when the results are posted.

Ed

Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Wow, I go and spend a penny, and all hell breaks loose!

I can't wait to see the activity when the results are posted.

Ed
LOL

You better never spend big money on mods or they'll have to close the forum

Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
One of the members on Rennlist had before and after dynos done on a full 997S AWE system last year and it produced a creditable 23BHP increase at the wheels - about 28BHP crank - not bad at all......"
Hello mate (I'm a brit too so..), I just wanted to clear that up because it was a customer of ours who did that and to make sure: he had the GIAC flash, EVO Intake _and_ the full AWE exhaust. Just wanted to make sure

Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
This is good reading. Totally agree that peak HP doesn't mean as much as some think- it's USABLE HP that matters, and that's typically in the lower ranges- like getting off the line, mid-range, etc.

I have the RSS Plenum and you couldn't pay me double to take it out- I'm thrilled with it. Felt more from the Plenum, frankly, then my ECU flash- which might mean my ECU flash stinks, the Plenum's really good, or my butt dyno is way off. In any case, I'm smiling, which is what counts most. But also eager to see the results.
CATTMAN

Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
What ECU flash did you get?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:00 PM
dduncan is infamous around these parts
Back in the saddle

Kudos to AWE for doing their best (and my cars) to bring this to a honest and fair conclusion. I did not think that this would take so long when I volunteered my wheels but I am confident that they will bring closure to the issue.

All we can do now is wait... and hope that we have a mod that brings us power....

Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
According to some, these mods will make cars faster even though max power reamins exactly the same due to the improved midrange power curve; with that said I'm surprised why the mod companies are not showing or advertising better 0-60 and or Q/M times and traps?

It would be very interesting to see the exact same car with, then without the mods driven by the same driver attempt his/her best runs.

Just a thought

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: RSS Plenum