997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

RSS Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Question

Thanks Todd, DDujncan, and RSS for all of your cooperation in this.

It seems pretty clear. I guess I spent a grand to "feel" faster. Ah well.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
My humble apologies to lardog and the other naysayers and cynics How to proceed?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for a great review and strict thorough testing to AWE and also to dduncan. Looks like I can use that potential $1k towards something else like software, tires, or aero parts in the future!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
wow...I find this very interesting. Is it possible the plenum works better on a forced induction car?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:05 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
BTW, this brings up a potential integrity issue for RSS. It seems unlikely that two scientific before/after tests can be so far apart. While we all thought the OEM plenum seemed, intuitively, of sub-optimal design, virtually everyone (butt dynoists included) were skeptical that Porsche would leave anywhere near 27 bhp on the table. My read of the dyno charts says that the plenum is worth 1 bhp - which sounds about right.

So...where did the RSS dyno charts come from?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 PM
johnsosn is infamous around these parts
I agree with a previous poster, this places AWE in a favourable light.
I'm heading over to the AWE web-site, it's great to see a company who only sells products that they are convinced "work"
Kudos AWE.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
scuzy is infamous around these parts
although there doesn't seems like a gain how do you test the responsiveness people got from installing the part? I mean before and after installing the plenum i noticed a difference.

Last edited by scuzy; 04-18-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Like everyone said....thanks to all involved. Especially AWE. I would guess that AWE puts all the products it sells to such testing. Seems to be a very professional company.

Maybe what needs to be done(by guys still wanting to do the mod) are some pulls from 3000 rpm to 7000 rpm in 2nd gear and than maybe third. Done a few times, before and after the plenum. On the same road and in as similar conditions as possible. Than that would satisfy the butt dyno. I mean if you do a couple runs as described than do the install and do them again, even if you "feel" it is faster, the stop watch won't lie.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 04-18-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
TexasFly is infamous around these parts
Thanks to everyone for contributing to this very interesting discussion - great Forum, members and sponsors. Special thanks to AWE, RSS and the gentleman that provided the test mule. I am wondering if the approach taken on this issue could not somehow become an approach endorsed and sponsored by the collective community here on this Forum. I would rather contribute/invest/risk a small percentage of the total cost of an upgrade for it to be reliably tested than to purchase it alone in total only to find out it did not produce the expected results. There is power in numbers, and collectively we control a large sum.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Do we get to see the Dyno results for the Exhaust system and GIAC chip installed?

Ed

BTW Thanks to all involved for there efforts to show these results.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TexasFly
Special thanks to AWE, RSS and the gentleman that provided the test mule.
I would hold the thanks to RSS until we hear their response to the testing procedures. They have been selling an item for $1,000 that seems to have been dramatically over-hyped. The skeptical businessman in me suspects that I'm being charitible in limiting my choice of words to over-hyped.

At this point, the only face-saving way out for them is to commission a second completely independent test and hope that it refutes AWE's testing. At least Fabspeed's "10hp" silicon hose only costs $225 (and, even at that, it taints the credibility of their whole suite of products).

Old 04-18-2008, 12:54 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickinColorado
I would hold the thanks to RSS until we hear their response to the testing procedures. They have been selling an item for $1,000 that seems to have been dramatically over-hyped. The skeptical businessman in me suspects that I'm being charitible in limiting my choice of words to over-hyped.

At this point, the only face-saving way out for them is to commission a second completely independent test and hope that it refutes AWE's testing. At least Fabspeed's "10hp" silicon hose only costs $225 (and, even at that, it taints the credibility of their whole suite of products).
How much does a Strut grill cost? The RSS Plenum and the Fabspeed hose both look better then the stock ones. Write it off as "Bling" for your Porsche.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM
dduncan is infamous around these parts
The Fat Lady has Sung

Well guys there you have it. Not what I was hoping for. The team at AWE and RSS put a lot of effort into this to satisfy the issue once and for all.

My dealings with AWE have been limited to this effort and the subsequent work they are doing on my car. I applaud their work ethic and the manner by which they communicated with me during this process. You have to admit, 60 pulls on the dyno with all the wait time that was included, meant for a large investment in time and real dollars for them. I was impressed at all times with Todd and AWE's professionalism and real concern in getting this testing right for both our online community and for RSS. From what I heard from AWE the lads at RSS were also professional and very well intentioned in this whole exercise.

LONG LIVE AWE!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
wow...I find this very interesting. Is it possible the plenum works better on a forced induction car?
Yes !!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
Yes !!!!
So you disagree with Todd/AWE's assessment: "Intake tract tuning on a normally aspirated car has more of an impact on power output than on a forced induction car".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: RSS Plenum