997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AWE MODS DYNO WITH RSS PLENUM and WITHOUT RSS PLENUM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
987rbtr is infamous around these parts
I have been known to ask why we should have to do a pull on a dyno. I guess this answers that....

Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dduncan
Love the AWE mods

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/m...ncan_final.jpg

RSS did not do so well

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/m...IPD_plenum.jpg

If someone knows how to insert the pictures link in here your welcome to do so. I am at a loss as to this.
Awesome.

Congrat's to you. Many happy, safe miles.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
I was told that the AWE package (that you have) will enable our cars to pull on stock 996TT's......

Any comments on that?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:16 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I wonder why the problems are coming up on the normally aspirated car (particularly the 997s) in contrast to those who posted with supercharged or myself ( and other 997tt posters ) with the Turbo .

Any theories?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
can you post a sound clip of your car? I would loooooooooooove to hear that thing!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dduncan
Love the AWE mods

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/m...ncan_final.jpg

RSS did not do so well

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/m...IPD_plenum.jpg

If someone knows how to insert the pictures link in here your welcome to do so. I am at a loss as to this.
Thanks AWE for saving me money. I hope RPM reads this thread.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I wonder why the problems are coming up on the normally aspirated car (particularly the 997s) in contrast to those who posted with supercharged or myself ( and other 997tt posters ) with the Turbo .

Any theories?
Just throwing this out there.

I am not making any analysis about the IPD part, I am only describing how the intake system works on the 997S (any every other NA Porsche intake since the 996):

Resonance tuning works this way:

Air flowing into the engine does not just go in one direction.

When the intake valves of a cylinder close, the incoming air then bounces off the closed valves and starts heading in the other direction. There is energy in this bounced pressure wave of air.

Instead of leaving that energy on the table, a tuned intake manifold like the Porsche 997S can harness the pressure wave to help move air into a cylinder whose valves are open.

As the air moves from a closed cylinder to an open one, it needs to pass through the plenum area in a reverse direction as it makes its way to the other bank of cylinders.

The air in the intake manifold does not travel only in one direction, away from the throttle body and plenum assembly.

Imagine if something were to disrupt the resonance tuning effect.

FYI, the resonance tuning flap opens at ~5k rpms.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
Assuming 355 at the crank stock the 323 RWHP equates to 9% drivetrain loss (probably low) so the 350 RWP for the mods equates to 385 Crank (+5 over the X51!) or about a 30 HP gain.

I think that the 355 crank HP is a bit conservative so it is reasonable to asume that with this mod the 997S will put out close to 400 HP at the crank - very nice, definately on my mod list for next year.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
Most are pleased . Only one was not happy out of those who posted.
I not sure that that is telling, since the 997S owners had the same satisfaction ratio (until Ian) based on the placebo effect.

As you might tell from my posts, as hideous as it looks, I believe that the OEM plenum is as good as anything.

Major kudos to AWE - both for honest reporting and a legitimate/proven power gain on their exhaust system.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Very nice results.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Very nice results.
Neil, you doing the front?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickinColorado
I not sure that that is telling, since the 997S owners had the same satisfaction ratio (until Ian) based on the placebo effect.

As you might tell from my posts, as hideous as it looks, I believe that the OEM plenum is as good as anything.

Major kudos to AWE - both for honest reporting and a legitimate/proven power gain on their exhaust system.
I don't know about the 997S owner ratio posts . The 997tt had three posters : myself , Jason (atomic) , Larry(Humm) . I believe one more posted here as well . If so that's only four .

Myself and Jason experienced the same thing where the car took some time to adapt and then were pleased. Larry did not . He felt that his car remained the same . Of the three cars mine is the most heavily modded . I can hear a much more pronounced turbo spool upon accelearting and the car not only doesn't fade but pulls harder through each gear . Of course I my post is simply an opinion . Thus my post is not to be viewed as proof of anything other than I haven;t taken it off yet and if I had doubts I would.

As for "evidence" to support it I have my doubts even about dyno testing a small sample of cars as being enough to claim anything positive or negative in absolute terms .

FYI --My car's engine mods are -
Tubi Exhaust
Evo Headers
Evo Intercoolers
Werks1 Carbon Airbox
GIAC ECU
IBD Plenum

Lastly --If I decide to upgrade my Turbo's ( a bit nervous about the car's internals holding 700HP but considering it --I am approx 600 now) . I know whether its with the AWE system. The EVOMS system . Or the OEM Gt2 Turbos (three I am considering) --My plenum will be removed at that time .

But for the time being --It's staying .

Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 PM
hoeferland is infamous around these parts
Thank you for taking the time to gather the info!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future

Any theories?

Read my explaination a few post back. As far as FI engines,air dynamics is totaly different since the air is pressurized on the intake side of the cylinders and not drawn by them.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 04-22-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE

Just throwing this out there.

I am not making any analysis about the IPD part, I am only describing how the intake system works on the 997S (any every other NA Porsche intake since the 996):

Resonance tuning works this way:

Air flowing into the engine does not just go in one direction.

When the intake valves of a cylinder close, the incoming air then bounces off the closed valves and starts heading in the other direction. There is energy in this bounced pressure wave of air.

Instead of leaving that energy on the table, a tuned intake manifold like the Porsche 997S can harness the pressure wave to help move air into a cylinder whose valves are open.

As the air moves from a closed cylinder to an open one, it needs to pass through the plenum area in a reverse direction as it makes its way to the other bank of cylinders.

The air in the intake manifold does not travel only in one direction, away from the throttle body and plenum assembly.

Imagine if something were to disrupt the resonance tuning effect.

FYI, the resonance tuning flap opens at ~5k rpms.

Actually, that explaination is not true. The air in the intake only flows in one direction for any given throttle position.. When a valve closes in an NA engine, the remaining opened cylinders on that bank increase in vacuum and immediately take whatever air the closed one is not. All air stays with the same bank. Redirection between banks begins at the throttlebody.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWE MODS DYNO WITH RSS PLENUM and WITHOUT RSS PLENUM