997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cracked AWE exhaust welds?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
MCLC26 is infamous around these parts
Cracked AWE exhaust welds?

I brought my car to the dealer a few days ago after hearing some awful tinny sound coming from the exhaust. Upon inspection, they found cracks at the welds on the exhaust tubing.

I did some searching around the forums and didn't see anyone else with a 997 experiencing the same problem, however, I did find a bunch of Cayman owners that were experiencing this last year. AWE promptly addressed the matter for them and fixed the problem. I purchased my exhaust around the same time as those Cayman owners that were experiencing the cracks, so I'm curious if it has something to do with that certain time frame of production, or if it is merely coincidental.

In any event, the exhaust is being sent down to AWE for inspection and warranty replacement (hopefully)...At a time like this, I'm glad I purchased my exhaust from a reputable company like AWE. I've heard nightmare stories from those who purchased from other manufacturers...

Has anyone else had a similar experience like this with their AWE exhaust or is this just an isolated incident?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
I was the one that fielded the phone call. We checked when you bought yours and that was from one of earliest batch of mufflers. We have since made a design change that incorporates pins in the exhaust. These are very similar to how the OEM mufflers are. These pins do not obstruct flow, they just strengthen the can.

Not to worry though. We are on top of it and will correct the problem.

Actually, there have been a few others on the various Porsche boards that have had the same problem as you. We did the same update and those mufflers have been fine ever since.

I just want to apologize for this inconvenience. We know this is not what you signed up for... For the money you paid, this should never have happened.

Please email me directly if you can.

mike@awe-tuning.com

Old 04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It seems like AWE can do no wrong.

Great Service Mike.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
It seems like AWE can do no wrong.

Great Service Mike.
Thanks, but it should not have happened in the first place.

Every company has it's share of problems. How you handle them is what separates the good from the great.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
We have since made a design change that incorporates pins in the exhaust.
I want to also add that we have been pinning systems for months. It was only our earliest versions that were without them.

Also, if your system is not pinned, that does not mean it will crack. These were very isolated issues.

I handle all Porsche warranty related issues. Email me directly if you have questions.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Every company has it's share of problems. How you handle them is what separates the good from the great.
Exactly what I say, good on you guys for working with them on this.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
yep , i agree mike is great guy to deal with , i am very happy with the work they did for me. and thats who im going to use again.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I want to also add that we have been pinning systems for months. It was only our earliest versions that were without them.

Also, if your system is not pinned, that does not mean it will crack. These were very isolated issues.

I handle all Porsche warranty related issues. Email me directly if you have questions.
I have not bought anything from these guys...YET.....But I definately would have absolutely no problems with doing it.
From the sounds of it AWE's customer service is amazing !

Keep up the good work.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
I just wanted to say I had this issue on my Boxster and while GMG wanted to charge me labor to R&R the exhaust. Mike was very helpful in sending out the new one to them so I wasn't out of my car for a week while the old one was sent back first..Mike knows how to take care of his clients....

Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 PM
MCLC26 is infamous around these parts
I was the one that fielded the phone call. We checked when you bought yours and that was from one of earliest batch of mufflers. We have since made a design change that incorporates pins in the exhaust. These are very similar to how the OEM mufflers are. These pins do not obstruct flow, they just strengthen the can.

Not to worry though. We are on top of it and will correct the problem.

Actually, there have been a few others on the various Porsche boards that have had the same problem as you. We did the same update and those mufflers have been fine ever since.

I just want to apologize for this inconvenience. We know this is not what you signed up for... For the money you paid, this should never have happened.

Please email me directly if you can.

mike@awe-tuning.com

Thanks Mike...As my rep at the dealer told me when he got off the phone with you - "They are just an absolute pleasure to deal with - they will take care of you"...

This is one of the many reasons why I went with AWE and have felt confident in recommending them to all my friends...

Thanks again for your help, Mike...It is always refreshing to find a company that truly cares about the satisfaction of their customers, beyond the initial sale...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
I had a problem w/ the 996TT exhaust I ordered 2 years ago and Mike stepped up and took care of me. Great exhaust, great service.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 AM
It seems like everyone has a good Mike/AWE story. The best way to thank him for there support is to continue to support AWE. I am heading to your site later to see if you have some toy that I can put on one of my cars...now how do I get it past the wife?!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 PM
schicago is infamous around these parts
The defective cans were replaced but I paid labor costs which would not have been incurred if the design was without a flaw. Was anyone reimbursed for labor?

The car was down shy of 2 weeks the old cans had to be inspected and shipping charges were also incurred.
I guess we are all used to no responses to warranties and if one company at least honors the warranty by replacing the product, you eat the labor and other charges.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I am heading to your site later to see if you have some toy that I can put on one of my cars...now how do I get it past the wife?!
Their called *****, grow a set! Sorry North, not busting your *****, oh thats right I cant, your wife has them in a shot glass on her nightstand. I cant believe how many "kept" men we have on here. Now dont get all offended, you'll get em back some day. But seriously, the answer to your quesion is; order the stuff, the UPS man hands them to you and you walk right past your wife into the garage and put the stuff on, end of story.

Sorry, could'nt resist. That wife excuse kills me but dont worry, the girlfreind/fiance one is the funniest, those guys have no clue where their ***** are at.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by b911s
Their called *****, grow a set! Sorry North, not busting your *****, oh thats right I cant, your wife has them in a shot glass on her nightstand. I cant believe how many "kept" men we have on here. Now dont get all offended, you'll get em back some day. But seriously, the answer to your quesion is; order the stuff, the UPS man hands them to you and you walk right past your wife into the garage and put the stuff on, end of story.

Sorry, could'nt resist. That wife excuse kills me but dont worry, the girlfreind/fiance one is the funniest, those guys have no clue where their ***** are at
Wow, obviously your not married, if your are she is probably with you for your money, or she is sleeping with your best friend!

All joking aside, my wife doesn't care what I buy for my car. I am thinking about a strut support, anyone have one?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cracked AWE exhaust welds?