997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
wow --interesting replies . Thanks guys --
I have until December at the latest but usually look at two or three months before lease end which is right when the facelift comes out .

In the meantime I will include the Tiptronic in consideration. So now it's five cars
335i , CLS, 997S (Tip , Manual, PDK) . All very different and each having something to offer.

1) 335i - less expensive , practical, a splash of fun .
2) CLS -- a classy and elegant car in the shape of a giant cockroach . I like the car after quite some time of looking at that design.
3) 997S -Tiptronic . A well dressed beast .500/MDrums/ wrs --you guys wrote some convincing points.
4) 997S manual --my favorite but not for her traffic stop and go driving.
5) 997S PDK --Unknown (the wild card)

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-25-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdrums
yrralis1, I have a 2007 Carrera S Tiptronic so I can talk about the Tip becuase my last 2 997S cars have been a Tip. My wife and I share the car for almost every day driving and I take the car to the track. As a high above knee amputee the Tiptronic allows a person like me to enjoy all a Porsche has to offer!

The Tip work fine for my wife and she likes it. She has had 5 Vette's and 2 Boxster S with manuals so she can drive a manual very well but it;s not really good for everyday driving.

I have been driving a Tip car at the track for 2 years now and up till late last year I finally found the slowness of the Tip while downshifting at certain corners.

If you do get a Tip car get one with the sport button (sport chrono) because the car in automatice shifts so much better with the sport button pushed.

The Tiptronic is not as bad as people on these forums will have you believe. The Tip is unbelivably reliable and will shift faster in manual mode than 99% of the people on these forums.
+1 I love my tip......My quarter mile was better than all the manual turbo's on the track the day I went...the average person who drives a manual won't always be efficient shifting. I can't wait for the DSG on the new porsches to come out

Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
the real question is: if you get a 997S tip, will your GF drive it? if so, what does she prefer? CLS or 997S?

i personally think you should hv ur own car that is tailor to your needs. you don't share clothes and why should cars be different? afterall, i'm an car nut and hopefully so are u.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
the real question is: if you get a 997S tip, will your GF drive it? if so, what does she prefer? CLS or 997S?

i personally think you should hv ur own car that is tailor to your needs. you don't share clothes and why should cars be different? afterall, i'm an car nut and hopefully so are u.
She will drive it . She's excited that I've been thinking about it . She does like the CLS too for different reasons mainly because its practical .

We do have 8 months at the most to decide but by October I will be actively looking and negotiating prices . The MB or BMW would most likely be leased . I don;t want to commit to keeping the car but with Porsche I would buy it .

If she loves the car I'm ready to share this with her . I have never seen anyone test drive a Porsche and feel like they could drive it every day and turn it down taking price out of the equation . Yet if she does I would be happy to get the CLS for her . The car would be in my name no matter which car it is and all she would have to pay is insurance . I would pay the rest because even though it is her car to use --it technically is my car .

Old 04-26-2008, 08:37 PM
jojomon11 is infamous around these parts
Tip it

I have a 996 TT tip and love it (now), yes I bought it so my wife could drive it also. sad thing is she hates driving it, which I thought she would enjoy driving it. She says it attracts way to much attention for her taste (she's a quiet petite asian babe). If I know it when I was looking, I would have got the manual! Enjoy the ride either way it's a Porsche! Period.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
View a Carrera S Hotlap at Barber Motorsports Park home of PSDS.

I was amazed at how good they perform!

CLICK for Hotlap

Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Trundle997
View a Carrera S Hotlap at Barber Motorsports Park home of PSDS.

I was amazed at how good they perform!

CLICK for Hotlap
Amazing . That was the first time I ever saw the capability of the car in Tip. I have never driven one or even riden in one.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
yrralis1, come to Sebring for the Chin event June 13-14th and pay the $20 and I will take you on laps in my Tiptronic car so you can see how to use a Tip.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 AM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
I've turned sub 1:40's at Willow Springs in a bone stock base model AWD (no sport chrono). The tip is a solid tranny. It is even more so on the turbo. Once you can get past the "I need to have a manual since only REAL drivers use them" self confidence BS, I think you'll find, as was mentioned earlier, that the tip is not as bad as some people wish it were (or make it out to be).

PDK is going to be crazy though. I think the growing pains have probably been worked out. That thing has been developed and pounded on for over 7 years now at Porsche. They've probably logged over a million miles and blew up hundreds of those before they gave the green light.

Unfortunately, the price will probably reflect how much all that R&D cost.

Last edited by jlingk; 04-27-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
yrralis1, come to Sebring for the Chin event June 13-14th and pay the $20 and I will take you on laps in my Tiptronic car so you can see how to use a Tip.
Thanks --I will try. That would be fun and I very much appreciate the offer.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 PM
aalvarez is infamous around these parts
I have a 997 Cab with Tip. When I was shopping for a 997, the first priority was to get a Tip so that my wife can drive it. To my surprise, there are not a lot of Tips out there and they are more expensive than stickshifts. I love the Tip because you can downshift in an instant.

Alex

Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by aalvarez
I have a 997 Cab with Tip. When I was shopping for a 997, the first priority was to get a Tip so that my wife can drive it. To my surprise, there are not a lot of Tips out there and they are more expensive than stickshifts. I love the Tip because you can downshift in an instant.

Alex
I noticed that . My girlfriend can drive a manual car yet the problem is her daily commute has her facing roads with gridlock traffic . If this was a weekend car we would want the stick like my car .

The positive thing is that she can drive it every day. Her office parking space size and security is great. I don;t drive mine every day simply because I park in places are not so great.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive

hmmm...I don't have a problem driving a red car but I would if I had to wear her red dress

Old 04-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by rah79
hmmm...I don't have a problem driving a red car but I would if I had to wear her red dress
Shoes are actually the big issue for most women . When at work they need a second set of "driving shoes" and even many of those are not like guy shoes . Sneakers are an option but I find sexy women look like a duck when wallking in them . Flip flops also are duck walking shoes .

Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Square is infamous around these parts
I have a 2006 997S with a tip and love it. Wife can drive it as needed, and that was a big consideration. Full throttle runs are a blast, and the tip adapts to that aggression. It will hold the gear longer for the next few runs, or until you lighten your foot on the accel. pedal. Never have to worry about hitting the "bad" over rev's. Try a full throttle blast in a tip, and tell me it is not impressive.

The manual mode is always available if you want it, nothing like 4k RPM with sport exhaust on! You need to get used to the up/down shift on the steering wheel, but from my perspective, I keep both hands on the wheel at all times. With a manual I can not. I find both hands on the wheel in the twisty's to be more controlled.

I would get a tip again.