997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Tiptronic?

I have never driven a tiptronic Porsche and would not buy one for myself . However recently I had toyed with the idea that when my Mercedes lease is up (second car) I would buy (not lease) a 997S so that my girlfriend and I could share the Porsche experience together . It was one of three cars considered where all three are very different : 1) 335i -daily driver and money saver, 2) CLS - comfortable and a bit more sporty than the E class and 3) 997S .

By the way my daily driver is an 07 Civic Si and I prefer grabbing the keys to it over the Mercedes when going to the movies or supermarket .

The 997S really was a contender (facelift , lease ends December) . UNTIL -today I drove my Turbo on the same congested road she takes in traffic . Eeeesh -- it was awful.

The only way I can see for her is a Tiptronic and I have always viewed Tip and Porsche as somehow contradictory but I am open to hear the other side .

If you have a Tip and love it --please share your thoughts.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-24-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:00 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Just get the new Porsche Doppelkupplung

Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
No one has experience with the new one yet.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Gotta believe the new dual clutch 7 speed will be better than the 5 speed tiptronic albeit maybe with a few initial software bugs

Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
oh that for sure
hopefully it will be also very reliable!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 500
Just get the new Porsche Doppelkupplung
I've considered it . I'm afraid (lol) . I'll tell you why ....

1) If I like it (which I may) I might want to upgrade my Turbo when that facelift comes out and I am really trying hard to place a price boundary somewhere on this .

2) PDK will be a new item for Porsche and with that usually comes some growing pains . Service technicians will have to learn about it . Reliability comes with some evolution . The new parts could have some snags .

3)Girlfriend would be primary driver . Who knows --maybe she'd love it . It's tough buying a car when considering someone else in that it's like ordering food for someone else . She will come test drive them all with me and usually is so awestruck by the cars which I have considered that I kinda want to know about all the choices to help her by providing the info. Since I have never driven PDK or Tip I really don't know.

There is one more choice too . A PDK facelift 997S might actualy price as much as a low mileage Tip 997tt . One for traffic , the other for fun.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I've considered it . I'm afraid (lol) . I'll tell you why ....

1) If I like it (which I may) I might want to upgrade my Turbo when that facelift comes out and I am really trying hard to place a price boundary somewhere on this .

2) PDK will be a new item for Porsche and with that usually comes some growing pains . Service technicians will have to learn about it . Reliability comes with some evolution . The new parts could have some snags .

3)Girlfriend would be primary driver . Who knows --maybe she'd love it . It's tough buying a car when considering someone else in that it's like ordering food for someone else . She will come test drive them all with me and usually is so awestruck by the cars which I have considered that I kinda want to know about all the choices to help her by providing the info. Since I have never driven PDK or Tip I really don't know.

There is one more choice too . A PDK facelift 997S might actualy price as much as a low mileage Tip 997tt . One for traffic , the other for fun.
All good points

One of my colleague's has an '07 C4S Cab with tip and Sports Chrono and I have driven it many times and find it much more enjoyable in city traffic than my 6 speed. Also the turbo's are faster with tip vs the six speeds. However if you are concerned about a PDK 997S being a bit much for your girlfriend then a turbo tip would be even more so.

My next 997 will be an auto box as I'm just burnt out on the clutch-shift-clutch-shift-clutch-shift etc etc etc. I have driven the newer semi auto boxes and found them to be most enjoyable epsecially vs the older style versions.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Ok --I'm reading the press release and the more I read the less I want Tiptronic LOL .

I'm still open to hear the other side from someone who loves the Tip though.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Why not just go and drive one .

Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by 500
Why not just go and drive one .
Well , besides the recent "test drive" thread (lol) I want to have some ideas about the car BUT now I am going to wait and see the 09 in it's purest form .

I have a feeling this isn't going to be cheap .

I'm already thinking about thw 2010 Turbo UNLESS Porsche places the wet sump 3.8 block into that car to cut costs . Then its a no go . It will imply that that a redesign will be too close .

It's really a tough market --not just for the manufacturer but for the buyer too . I wrestle with all the great competing cars, the surging gas prices, and a weak economy hurting resale as new cars face the low financing hype which translates into bling cars and depreciation financial freefall .

Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I have a feeling this isn't going to be cheap .
It never is...LOL

I have also driven the TT with tip and it is an excellent combination...

You should still have your girlfriend test a pre facelift 997S with tip and SC as it's actually pretty decent plus when the PDK comes out you might be able to get a leftover 08 for a very good price .

Just want to clarify one thing...you are buying this car just for her right?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Each car I buy is for us . I do offer to her to drive my Turbo but she feels more comfortable saying no even though she loves the car . I do feel that if I bought a second Porsche she would drive it . I leased the Mercedes and she loves it .

I suppose the idea of her and I sipping coffee in service or modding our cars together has me wanting to invite her into Porsche with me .

I know it's not practical . We do use the sedan and I won't trade in the Civic Si and drive an E class or CLS -- and with the road conditions of Miami I do need a worry free car capable of avoiding dings at the supermarket .

I almost think most car guys have a second sedan type car and often its the woman in he's close with driving it . I want her to see the joy in this car though .

That's why after 8 manual Porsches I'm even cosidering a Tip or PDK for her.

Perhaps after all the test drives her eyes may light up on the CLS or some other car . Whatever makes her the happiest is what I would want the most .

Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
yrralis1, I have a 2007 Carrera S Tiptronic so I can talk about the Tip becuase my last 2 997S cars have been a Tip. My wife and I share the car for almost every day driving and I take the car to the track. As a high above knee amputee the Tiptronic allows a person like me to enjoy all a Porsche has to offer!

The Tip work fine for my wife and she likes it. She has had 5 Vette's and 2 Boxster S with manuals so she can drive a manual very well but it;s not really good for everyday driving.

I have been driving a Tip car at the track for 2 years now and up till late last year I finally found the slowness of the Tip while downshifting at certain corners.

If you do get a Tip car get one with the sport button (sport chrono) because the car in automatice shifts so much better with the sport button pushed.

The Tiptronic is not as bad as people on these forums will have you believe. The Tip is unbelivably reliable and will shift faster in manual mode than 99% of the people on these forums.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Thumbs up

Whatever makes her the happiest is what I would want the most .
"Your a good man Charlie Brown" .

My girlfirend drives our Touareg and she loves it...tried to get her a sports car many times but no dice (I keep telling her the car is for her, but she never quite belives me ).

Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 PM
wrs1 is infamous around these parts
I have an 06 C2S tip and I love it for Bay Area traffic.
I also have a M3 SMG which in my opinion is a much better gearbox. Albeit the BMW is semi auto and the tip is auto.
I don't like the fact that the shift level is not adjustable on the porsche, but I agree that the sport button is a must for more positive shifts with the tip.

All things considered, the tip would be my first choice to buy again.

You should drive it for yourself though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic?