997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

frame damage??? please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:30 AM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
frame damage??? please help

My car was rear ended and on the passenger side the rear frame rail (i think that's what it's called) behind the shock tubes is slightly bent. It is like in the picture on this thread but not as bad. I was rear ended by a corvette while I was at a complete stop. He hit me at about 20 mph but never even hit the brakes.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...=425880&page=4

How bad is damage to that part?
Does the body shop fix it or replace that part?
Should I file a diminished value claim?
Is that considered frame damage?

Also the insurance company gave my body shop an estimate of the prive of all the parts etc and is giving them the money, is it fine for me to use that money for aftermarket parts instead of stock?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:47 AM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Look for other damage. My son was rear ended in our infiniti and it didn't look bad at all. But the gap at the rear door was gone and the door wouldn't stay closed. It would pop open going down the road.

Will more likely than not hurt resale. I would try very hard to get his insurance to buy it at full retail and get your self another car. Let them fix it and sell it.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Your resale is toast.
Your best bet is to go through YOUR insurance, since you will have more leverage with them than the other guys insurance. And yes, you need to file a claim for diminished value- but don't mention that to your insurance until AFTER you've gotten your car repaired.

Call Richard Hixenbaugh of Collision Claim Associates- he's in ATL but may have a referral for you in FL. He is the best, and will explain everything to you.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:01 AM
b911s is infamous around these parts
They will pull it on a frame machine, although this is unibody, our cars dont have frames. Problem is that if it is reported the car will get crushed in value, Defaniatly file a diminished value claim. Ask a dealer what he would pay for a car that has know previous frame damage, 40-50% less, especially high end auto's.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 AM
PorscheGuy949 is infamous around these parts
Yeah thats a bad problem, not only for you, but for whoever buys the car from you.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
go to a couple high end repair shop to get an estimate. you are entitled to choose shop of ur choice.

if the estimate and damage is great enough, you can ask to trade it in to a dealer and get something similar. the difference can be paid by insurance. this way, you won't have issue with resale later.

if damage is relatively minor, you can just have it fixed but document it for later sell. if there is indeed frame damage, the car can be salvaged most likely and you have every right to replace it with a clean title car. this will most likely be recorded in carfax even if title is clean or not so make sure you get compensated.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
cephas is infamous around these parts
Buy the new facelift.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
it can be repaired, I don't know the skill level of the shop could fix it, as good as new? Very subjective. I had some frame rail damage on my car, got rid of the car as soon as it came out of the body shop. I did drive it for about 50 miles, felt fine, but who knows in 5-10 years or when ever.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:01 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
How would a bend back their really affect the car? The body shop told me they will see if a replacement peice can be bought from porsche and welded on and if not they will straiten it but they said its part of the frame but its no big deal. I'm in love with my car. i ordered it exactly how i wanted etc. and plan to keep it a very long time. If this isnt that bad i would like to just keep the car and collect dimisnished value. Should I just tell my insurance company i want to do that or do i get a lawyer first?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:12 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Get an attorney, because your insurance company is not going to spend the money to sue the other one for any more than the cost of the accident. If you want to keep it for a long time then thats a different story. A GOOD body shop should be able to repair it and it should be good as new.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:24 PM
My main concern is that the car doesn't have any problems as i really plan to keep this car for an extremely long time (i plan to turn it into a track car the day i actually want something else). The body shop told me that while it is technically frame damage it is no big deal and they will have it good as new but I guess I should go after diminished value. My car is at the body shop but work hasn't been started. Should I have them do the work while I fight for diminished value or do i need to keep the car as it is until i come to an agreement?

Old 04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Cayenne -
My nerves rattle every time I drive the Turbo in Miami . The Palmetto expressway is like a buffet of driving styles and the stop and go of US1 is just unreal.
I drive to North Miami frequently and almost every time I see a traffic jam and accidents too many to list . I bought a Civic Si just to feel at ease and save the Turbo for rare drives.

That said --you have two choices :
1) Fix it and live with the fact that the car may be fine but never have the exact structural integrity it had when it was new .
I also feel that an attorney may advise the best route to iron out some of the repair/dimished value questions .
2) Sell it.

I can't tell you what to do but I know what I would do .Since the 09 facelift is coming I would fix it and trade it in.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-26-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I thought if the frame is damaged it's automatically Salvaged title..

I'll check with my buddy.. I remember before that's the reason the adjuster totalled his car, because of frame damage.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM
jpohl402 is infamous around these partsjpohl402 is infamous around these parts
Personally, I would get rid of it somehow!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 AM
should I have the body shop hold off on repairs until i get things squared away as far as diminished value or a new car? Or do i just have them fix it while i do it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: frame damage??? please help