997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Crappy Cranking Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
No really it does, sitting in the car reminds me of the cockpit, and the turning over of the engine (sound and vibration) for a brief moment reminds of his plane. I know this is a personal feeling, but I am sure there are some pilots out there that know what I mean.
Hey Ed,

the way you were sliding your car on a wet track yesterday and passing me once, I really thought that you were driving a plane...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
No really it does, sitting in the car reminds me of the cockpit, and the turning over of the engine (sound and vibration) for a brief moment reminds of his plane. I know this is a personal feeling, but I am sure there are some pilots out there that know what I mean.
I was being serious when I commented...was an aerospace major and flew fixed wing and rotorcraft for years.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Perhaps you will like the way the M3 cranks better. Cheers, Gerry

Old 04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
EPH94 is infamous around these parts
That's actually pretty cool. I've never been in the cockpit of a small plane. Now this gives me another reason to love the "experience" of the 911.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Perhaps you will like the way the M3 cranks better. Cheers, Gerry
As you may have just read in another thread I will be testing one extensively tomorrow...and the last time I heard one crank at the dealership it was rather pleasant...but there's much more to a car than that. Just kinda sux though, kinda like listening to a Harley with the new muffled exhaust (but at least that can easily be changed). I remember back in the late 60's/early 70's the Mopar muscle cars (GTX's Cuda's Road Runners Fury's etc) had starter motors that sounded really cheap and tinny, where the GM cars sounded so much better...just kinda ruined the total experience.

Last edited by 500; 04-29-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by EPH94
That's actually pretty cool. I've never been in the cockpit of a small plane. Now this gives me another reason to love the "experience" of the 911.
If I remember correctly Porsche produced a flat six for single engine planes back in the 80's...

Last edited by 500; 04-29-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Piper is infamous around these parts
I don't know why each car sounds different or what makes the difference, but I would love to own a Lamborghini one day just for the sound of when the car is cranked then turns over. That is how a true sports car is supposed to sound.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Piper
I don't know why each car sounds different or what makes the difference, but I would love to own a Lamborghini one day just for the sound of when the car is cranked then turns over. That is how a true sports car is supposed to sound.

get straight pipes..... then see if you still need that lambo!!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 500
I was being serious when I commented...was an aerospace major and flew fixed wing and rotorcraft for years.
Sorry, do you agree that it sounds like a plane?!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Hey Ed,

the way you were sliding your car on a wet track yesterday and passing me once, I really thought that you were driving a plane...
I don't remember passing you, when did that happen? Where on the track?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Sorry, do you agree that it sounds like a plane?!
Thanks but no need apologize at all .

Yes it does kind of sound like the C172 I used to fly...it was a sluggish cranker too LOL...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by 500
Thanks but no need apologize at all .

Yes it does kind of sound like the C172 I used to fly...it was a sluggish cranker too LOL...
My dad was a Piper man, his last plan was a Piper Turbo Aero (this was 15 years ago).

Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by 500
If I remember correctly Porsche produced a flat six for single engine planes back in the 80's...
Weren't they used in Mooney's? I would imagine they worked well as they were air cooled.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I don't remember passing you, when did that happen? Where on the track?
I think third session, middle of the run, after turn 2. It was a seal grey 997S and I thought you were the only one. I remembered that as I was passed by only 2 or 3 cars that day.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I think third session, middle of the run, after turn 2. It was a seal grey 997S and I thought you were the only one. I remembered that as I was passed by only 2 or 3 cars that day.
Oh yes, now I remember, I went by you and the 928. Thanks for giving me the point. Fun day, until the end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crappy Cranking Sound