997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

anyone removed clear bra?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
emtrey is infamous around these parts
anyone removed clear bra?

does it damage the paint below if one wishes to replace it as it gets nicked over time?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by emtrey
does it damage the paint below if one wishes to replace it as it gets nicked over time?
no should not damage the paint in any way.
i would heat up the area for easier removal.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I'd have it removed by an installer. One of them demonstrated to me how it is done. Why take a chance?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I would think it's just like tint removal (but with less glue). Spray the area with the clear bra with water. Place a black plastic trash bag over the area and let the car sit in the sun for about an hour. The film should peel away easy.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
FWIW, the tip I was given was to "stretch" the film off. If you were to start at the front edge of the hood for example, you would pull the material slightly up and towards you, thus stretching it off the hood (rather than peeling it back towards the windshield).

Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM
dubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura about
In my experience, it typically comes off factory painted surfaces pretty easily, but not so easily off aftermarket painted surfaces like bumper or repainted panels.

You're best be would be to use mild heat, and a LOT of patience. Even if you end up leaving some glue residue on the paint, that's a lot easier to clean off than the process of repainting. It also depends what material was used. 3M now uses a much thinner material than they used to. If you have some of the older, thicker 3M material, removal may not be as easy. Either way, if you decide to take it off, I'd prepare for the worst case scenario.

The "peeling" process mentioned above was what I did and it worked OK on my hood and fenders, but not so well on my front bumper (which was aftermarket). That needed to be repainted.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
neijia is infamous around these parts
Just borrow a 10 inch grinder with 24 grit paper... comes right off

J/K

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
jmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nice
I have not removed a clear bra, but I have removed window film. I suggest using a portable steamer.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
You'd use a steamer around Porsche's soft paint? Glass is one thing, painted surfaces is another.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
jmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nice
Yes...with care.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:23 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dubaudi
In my experience, it typically comes off factory painted surfaces pretty easily, but not so easily off aftermarket painted surfaces like bumper or repainted panels.
This is my experience as well.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
let it sit under the sun for a while ... easier to remove when warm

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 AM
503Tim is infamous around these parts
I am an installer for 3M films and it is actually fairly easy. No heat or steam and certainly not the 10" grinder..hahahah the only thing against you is time, if the install has been on there for awhile then the adhesive has a tendency to want to stay on there,

Get yourself a can of 3M Adhesive removal, the aerosol kind from a paint supply store.

Drive the car, Park in sun or use hair dryer to warm the entire hood surface evenly. This is just to make the film a bit more plyable.

Grab the upper lt or rt corner and peel back, pull straight up and towards the opposing side slowly. I am sure some adhesive will "pop" off as you are pulling just keep going.

Once all the film is off you will use a micro fiber towel and the 3M adhesive remover to clean up what is left.

I have seen it from a few little slivers all the way to pretty much the entire hood covered. It really depends how long it has been on and if anyone has ran a buffer or orbital over it while detailing.

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:20 AM
redduck996 is infamous around these parts
I have, it was a PITA. I let it sit under the sun for a good hour. The hood was hot enuff to fry an egg but it didnt come off that easily. i should have used the 3m remover and a heat gun. All that peeling gave my fingers blisters (even with motorcycle leather gloves on). What ever you do, DO NOT clay bar or try to remove the adhesive residue with your fingers. I made that mistake and left a ton of fine scratches on the paint.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by emtrey
I have removed smaller pieces that had aged and turned yellow.

The car was outside on a warm sunny day, and I kept water on it as I slowly removed it. No damage as a result.

I'd be very careful with larger pieces. Make sure the body is quite warm, use plenty of water, and work a small area at a time.

Now that I have had all the paint chips amazingly removed I am going to have the nose recovered with the 3M.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone removed clear bra?