997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stone guards on rear fenders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:36 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Stone guards on rear fenders

I just purchased a 9-month old Targa 4S that has no stone guards on the flare of the rear fenders. The previous owner must have removed them. As a result there are the expected small paint chips from road debris hitting that area. I know I can purchase the clear stone guards from the Porsche dealer, but would prefer to install ones that are colored to match the car (GT Silver). This would preclude the need to touch up the chips. I'm sure I've seen some silver 993s with guards that appear to be colored rather than clear. Does anyone know if they are available for the 997 4 models as an aftermarket item? thanks.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:28 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Congrats on the new car.

I would check with Eric at Bumberplugs, he is usually the best bet for those unique items. If you put new clear guards, I would use the 3M clear bra material, the Porsche stuff yellows over time.

Ed

Old 05-03-2008, 02:35 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Congrats on the new car.

I would check with Eric at Bumberplugs, he is usually the best bet for those unique items. If you put new clear guards, I would use the 3M clear bra material, the Porsche stuff yellows over time.

Ed
Thanks Ed. I have sent an email to Eric. I agree that clear bra material would be better, and likely cheaper given that Porsche wants $47 each side.

Last edited by keninirvine; 02-16-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:10 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Are you talking behind or in front of the wheel? There is no guard behind the wheel and it is needed.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Ken, what options did you get? And did you trade in your Cab?

Is that your S2K?

Old 05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
If it's the film you're talking about, unfortunately we do not stock or paint it. You might want to talk to a highend film installer to get something more invisible than what the factory is using. There are higher grade films out there.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Are you talking behind or in front of the wheel? There is no guard behind the wheel and it is needed.
It is the clear film that is factory installed on the front of the fender flare near the bottom. It appears to only be available in clear color, so I guess I'll have to touch up the paint first.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:12 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the new car.

If you put new clear guards, I would use the 3M clear bra material, the Porsche stuff yellows over time.

Ed
Porsche stuff is 3M, just an FYI.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks Ed. I have sent an email to Eric. I agree that clear bra material would be better, and likely cheaper given that Porsche wants $47 each side.
Hi Ken -

I need to get off my lazy bum and post my clear bra experience but I had very good luck with Sean at Ultimate Shield. He did the full hood, front fenders, front bumper, A pillars and area behind my rear wheels. I'm very happy with the work.

I'll try and post up a more thorough writ up in the next day or two but let me know if you need the referral.

BTW - did you sell that nice Cab of yours? I obviously love the color of your targa but that was a nice cab.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by b911s
Porsche stuff is 3M, just an FYI.
From what I was told by the local 3M Clear Bra installers is they are different. The Porsche stuff yellows over time (you won't see that on your car) and the 3M is guaranteed to not yellow.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:34 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
From what I was told by the local 3M Clear Bra installers is they are different. The Porsche stuff yellows over time (you won't see that on your car) and the 3M is guaranteed to not yellow.
Was in this business for years. 3M's material agreed on from most all high end installers was the worst or real close and it was the worst for yellowing. When i owned the business i steered away from 3M like the plague. I know that they have gone thru some revisions in their clear coat over the last few years so maybe it's changed. Honestly, every film had it's issues, it was a matter of picking the one with the least obvious problems to the retail customer and in my opinion made the nicest install. At that time it wasnt 3M they just happen to be the biggest name in the business.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by b911s
Was in this business for years. 3M's material agreed on from most all high end installers was the worst or real close and it was the worst for yellowing. When i owned the business i steered away from 3M like the plague. I know that they have gone thru some revisions in their clear coat over the last few years so maybe it's changed. Honestly, every film had it's issues, it was a matter of picking the one with the least obvious problems to the retail customer and in my opinion made the nicest install. At that time it wasnt 3M they just happen to be the biggest name in the business.
Interesting info to know, the install shop was trying to sell me on a complete clear bra, including replacement of the stone guards. They told me that the 3M would not yellow, but I guess they were blowing smoke. I never did put the clear bra on.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM
vbizguy is infamous around these parts
Ken,

Congratulations on the Targa! Love the looks of the Targa.

Premier is here this week. Sam is coming by the house tomorrow AM to replace some film on my rear wheel wells. You may want to call him and see if they can swing by your place as we're only a couple of miles apart.

John