997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Deer Strike - Repair Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Deer Strike - Repair Advice Wanted

Driving home from my son's baseball game yesterday - in traffic, rural area, 20mph, line of cars to my front, line of cars to my back - deer chooses the Porsche and comes charging out of the woods, sticks his nose around the side marker light area (no pics of the blood spot there / no damage) then falls backside first into my car. Deer gets up and limps back into the woods - his damage done.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the claims adjuster who will then issue me a check and I get to choose who repairs.

Reason for writing and posting pics... I am soliciting some advice on what to be looking for with the adjuster - estimate of time and materials - does the whole side need replacement? Is this in the realm of "dent repair". Who should do the work: Porsche dealer or reputable body shop? Anyone with experience with repair facilities in No VA area?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Pictures follow:

Attached Images      
Old 05-04-2008, 07:12 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to hear about your accident. You're lucky as it obviously could have been much worse. Here is a pic of my M5 after a deer-related injury. Big deer launched himself (herself?) out of the woods and into the quarter panel. Head hit the windshield which was a bummer as it still had the OEM break-in instructions for the car. Rear view mirror came in the window and bonked me in the head too just for extra insult!

Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Ouch, that sucks.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Already Responded

Originally Posted by Volant997
Driving home from my son's baseball game yesterday - in traffic, rural area, 20mph, line of cars to my front, line of cars to my back - deer chooses the Porsche and comes charging out of the woods, sticks his nose around the side marker light area (no pics of the blood spot there / no damage) then falls backside first into my car. Deer gets up and limps back into the woods - his damage done.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the claims adjuster who will then issue me a check and I get to choose who repairs.

Reason for writing and posting pics... I am soliciting some advice on what to be looking for with the adjuster - estimate of time and materials - does the whole side need replacement? Is this in the realm of "dent repair". Who should do the work: Porsche dealer or reputable body shop? Anyone with experience with repair facilities in No VA area?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Pictures follow:

Springfield Auto Body, in northern VA is the place to take your car.
See my full post on the Rennlist forums.
Mr. B

Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks

Thanks Mr. B. - I'm really interested in getting a shop that will push the adjuster to do the repair the right way. I'm not looking for a bondo patch and paint. If that's what I end up with there will be a lightly used Porsche on the market very soon thereafter! Hopefully Springfield Autobody can work with me.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
i own a shop in the NYC area, my advise to you is to have the adjuster look at it when it is at the shop of your choice already, this way the professional tech can point out anything that is conveniently overlooked by the adjuster. GL

Old 05-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Show car

Originally Posted by Volant997
Thanks Mr. B. - I'm really interested in getting a shop that will push the adjuster to do the repair the right way. I'm not looking for a bondo patch and paint. If that's what I end up with there will be a lightly used Porsche on the market very soon thereafter! Hopefully Springfield Autobody can work with me.

The owner of SAB, Jim Scott, had a 1955 Chevy Nomad wagon that his shop restored. The car looked great, and later, he sold it at auction for a pretty penny.
Mr. B

Old 05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The claims adjuster might send you to a body shop and they will repair the entire side . I would not ignore Dent Wizard .There is no paint damage . Plus I am either blind or not seeing a dented door or upper panel damage --just that lower rocker panel.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:38 AM
colonel is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear that. The damage doesn't look that bad.
I had a deer accident much worst that was almost a year ago. It happened on Rt 380 in PA(deer country), a deer ran right in front of me. Too painful to show you guys the pictures again...