997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question RE: DIY muffler installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
Question RE: DIY muffler installation

For those that have installed their own aftermarket mufflers, did your mufflers include a new brace to replace the bar that that runs between the chassis and the bottom of the rear fender? I bought my mufflers (Remus) used, so I am checking to see if a new brace is included.

The stock brace hits the rear of the Remus mufflers. I spent a fair amount of time bending and shaping the stock brace around the rear of the mufflers. I succeeded on the passenger side. The driver's side rubs under full throttle, so I'll need to rebend it. However, it would be great if I could just purchase a new ones that are already pre-shaped to go around the rear of the mufflers.

TIA for your input.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Andre5
For those that have installed their own aftermarket mufflers, did your mufflers include a new brace to replace the bar that that runs between the chassis and the bottom of the rear fender? I bought my mufflers (Remus) used, so I am checking to see if a new brace is included.

The stock brace hits the rear of the Remus mufflers. I spent a fair amount of time bending and shaping the stock brace around the rear of the mufflers. I succeeded on the passenger side. The driver's side rubs under full throttle, so I'll need to rebend it. However, it would be great if I could just purchase a new ones that are already pre-shaped to go around the rear of the mufflers.

TIA for your input.
installed FabSpeed mufflers, removed the brace ...'nuff said

Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM
abe911 is infamous around these parts
I have AWE....most people leave the brace off..

I did the same thing you did by bending it enough to avoid the muffler.
Xtra protection during an accident..
abe

Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 PM
1978fj40 is infamous around these parts
I also bent the braces. It took some time to get it right, but I figured if the factory put them there it must have been for a reason!

I hope you figure it all out!

JT

Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
Do you have to remove this brace to remove the stock mufflers?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Just installed a full Tubi system on mine and it fit perfect with no issues what so ever. Didnt have to remove the brace or anything, just the parts i was replacing.

This kind of stuff is the type of thing that shows who is really doing the job of reasearch and producing a top quality product. Nothing should have to be bent or left off the car that came from the factory, period. If a part needs to be modified the manufacture should include a replacement part. I be dammed if i am going to put a product on a car of this quality and dollars where i have to start bending or leaving off OEM parts. This is especially true with what we pay for some of these exhausts, they should dam near install themselves.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:58 PM
abe911 is infamous around these parts
I removed the back tires and the bracket....it makes it easier to install. Silly, to judge a company solely on if they supply a bracket or not....IMHO. It is a minor issue....just a little bend and its done.
abe

Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Zaitster is infamous around these parts
Somebody said used? Geez b911s you're talking about remus, not magnaflow.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by mass
Do you have to remove this brace to remove the stock mufflers?
Probably not, but it's one easily accessible small bolt and one screw. For 30 seconds of work, it gave me a little more room to maneuver the mufflers off and on.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Agreed with Andre5 - simply to remove the OEM cans, it is MUCH easier to remove the bracket that connects the rear bumper just behind each rear wheel - amazingly, it is just one simple screw that requires removal. Not sure what all the angst is about.

Still, I'm surprised that the remus cans are big enough that they would rub the brackets - that doesn't sound quite right.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:08 AM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Andre5

TIA for your input.
Andre,

Remus cans come with their own brace that is modified to fit. I got mine used but the braces were included.

David

Old 05-09-2008, 03:17 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zaitster
Somebody said used? Geez b911s you're talking about remus, not magnaflow.
I wasnt blasting Remus in particular, but more any exhaust manufacture that would not do the complete job and charge the rude prices we pay for these things. As was commented above, remus does include the proper braces when it is purchased new. I had one of their exhaust years ago and it fit perfect on the car i got it for. Sorry, didnt mean to offend.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by dndodd
Andre,

Remus cans come with their own brace that is modified to fit. I got mine used but the braces were included.

David
Thanks David! I'll follow up with the original seller. Hopefully his installer did not leave them on his car when he went back to the stock mufflers